IGNORED

David Noble

P'head Red

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I thought you were claiming that Noble, Marv and Little Lee never played together………..:dunno:

This might help.

Noble & Elliott barely ever played together,

from Merriam-Webster dictionary: "barely/scarcely ever. : almost never: rarely.

People also ask. Does barely mean never?

What does this mean? The word 'barely' by itself means 'only just, scarcely'

Never
1at no time in the past or future; not ever.
2not at all.

Glad to be of assistance, but, as has been suggested, the Internet is always useful if you don't have a dictionary handy.
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wolf Island said:

If we’re simply counting memorable goals as “an achievement” then I give you JET v the gas..

They we’re both fantastic footballers to watch, we were lucky to have had the opportunity to see both in action, and I’m not sure why we can’t just appreciate both for what they were without having to get into who was better than who. 

Edited by italian dave

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Surely you must know how the internet works by now?

You can actually look this sort of stuff up for yourself.

Marvin Elliott arrived at the start of the 2007/8 season, the one we made the Championship playoff final, you must remember it, because under GJ it was our most successful season of the last 42 years.

In that season Elliott started 44 games, LJ 39, Noble just 16.

The following season Noble started 5 games then he left, he was never Elliott’s regular partner, most of the games were either replacing one of the other 2 when they were unavailable or playing in an advanced role behind Dele Adebola in a 4-4-1-1.

Exactly - I strongly remember LJ and Elliot being the mainstay of that midfield. I can still remember the regular team now..

Basso; Orr, Carey, McCombe, McAllister; Sproule, Johnson, Elliot, McIndoe; Byfield, Trundle (Adebola, Vasko, Noble, Murray often regular replacements).

Noble simply didn't get about the pitch enough to regularly start with Johnson or Elliot in a midfield 2, and wouldn't have been able to partner Trundle for the same reason.

As usual, it's RR's poor grasp of facts letting him down. 

• Hmmm 1

51 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly - I strongly remember LJ and Elliot being the mainstay of that midfield. I can still remember the regular team now..

Basso; Orr, Carey, McCombe, McAllister; Sproule, Johnson, Elliot, McIndoe; Byfield, Trundle (Adebola, Vasko, Noble, Murray often regular replacements).

Noble simply didn't get about the pitch enough to regularly start with Johnson or Elliot in a midfield 2, and wouldn't have been able to partner Trundle for the same reason.

And five of those games David Noble started - the final five of the campaign - were actually off the right in a similar role to the one Josh Brownhill played during our cup run. Lee Johnson, as it happens, was left out for Nick Carle.

That midfield of McIndoe - Carle - Elliott - Noble saw us end that season playing probably our best football of the entire campaign.

I'm not sure Noble EVER started a game in the middle of midfield in the Championship. He just didn't have the mobility for it, so we had to find different areas of the field to hide his lack of athleticism.

26 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

And five of those games David Noble started - the final five of the campaign - were actually off the right in a similar role to the one Josh Brownhill played during our cup run. Lee Johnson, as it happens, was left out for Nick Carle.

That midfield of McIndoe - Carle - Elliott - Noble saw us end that season playing probably our best football of the entire campaign.

I'm not sure Noble EVER started a game in the middle of midfield in the Championship. He just didn't have the mobility for it, so we had to find different areas of the field to hide his lack of athleticism.

I had forgotten that actually. Quite interesting idea from Johnson. I also remember thinking Nick Carle looked quality - we definitely got the best out of him compared to how he got on at Palace.

31 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

For clarity, the final five games of the campaign, are you referring to

Southampton L

Wolves D

Stoke L

Sheff Utd L

Preston W

5 points from 5 games?

30 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

For clarity, the final five games of the campaign, are you referring to

Southampton L

Wolves D

Stoke L

Sheff Utd L

Preston W

5 points from 5 games?

Sheff Utd L

Preston W

Crystal Palace W

Crystal Palace W

Hull L

And, I'm not sure if you were at the Sheffield United one, but I vividly remember the match as one of the best performances I've ever seen from a City side in defeat. The players got a standing ovation from the entire away end post-game.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I had forgotten that actually. Quite interesting idea from Johnson. I also remember thinking Nick Carle looked quality - we definitely got the best out of him compared to how he got on at Palace.

I've always quite liked having flair players (in the David Noble sense of the word) or at least proper footballing players playing off one flank, as long as you've got someone comfortable going on the outside on the opposite side so you don't just become ridiculously narrow.

Josh Brownhill, while obviously being very different to Noble, also had the intelligence to come inside from wide and influence the play.

Jamie Paterson's another who was good at that IMO.

Edited by The Journalist
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Sheff Utd L

Preston W

Crystal Palace W

Crystal Palace W

Hull L

And, I'm not sure if you were at the Sheffield United one, but I vividly remember the match as one of the best performances I've ever seen from a City side in defeat. The players got a standing ovation from the entire away end post-game.

I was there. Pretty sure we had the Noble-Carle-Trundle axis and the football we played was on another level from anything seen that season. We lost 2-1 I think with Gary Speed getting both for the Blades (don’t know who scored for us!) but we were outstanding. 

21 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Wasn’t Sarah was

Wasn’t Sarah was it? 

Wasn’t Sarah was it? 

Sarah was with Steve Brooker!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Brent said:

How on earth do you get so much wrong? ?

I was at Wembley that disappointing day and the play off final was voted the most dullest ever……City never managed a shot on goal and Hull managed one - the only goal of the match.

Hardly a surprise tho having witnessed the dullest football for entire season, Palace apart.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was at Wembley that disappointing day and the play off final was voted the most dullest ever……City never managed a shot on goal and Hull managed one - the only goal of the match.

Hardly a surprise tho having witnessed the dullest football for entire season, Palace apart.

I think you’re getting confused with one of your trips with your fellow Sags

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Totally forgot who Vasko was. Had to Google him! 

1 hour ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Palace a close second for me due to the fact of losing to Hull in the final.

I agree that the end result, losing to Hull, was extremely disappointing, but, for me, the post-match feeling (after Palace) was better and, of course, the build up to the Wembley final was fantastic.

There was also probably the subconscious feeling in the back of my mind that we were going to beat Rotherham, whereas I was not at all confident against Palace - I actually watched both legs in a bar over here with a Palace Director, who was effusive about Noble’s goal and, to be fair, magnanimous in defeat after the second leg.

I suppose, with hindsight, my feelings after Rotherham were of relief, that we had finally got out of that division, whereas, after Palace, my feelings were of expectation, euphoria even, that we were finally going to reach the promised land.

After all these years, I should have known better.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Since the stats are questioning your accuracy, perhaps you can try backing up the above statement.

I was at the game and I definitely don’t remember City have a single effort on goal. Stats are frequently misleading.

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was at the game and I definitely don’t remember City have a single effort on goal. Stats are frequently misleading.

They certainly can be if one is unable to interpret them.

But, please tell me, what exactly in the stat that City had 13 shots on target leads you to interpret this as City failed to have even one shot on target? 

Just now, PHILINFRANCE said:

They certainly can be if one is unable to interpret them.

But, please tell me, what exactly in the stat that City had 13 shots on target leads you to interpret this as City failed to have even one shot on target? 

13 shots on target!………..:rofl2br:what game were you at?

I never saw a single one.

13 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

I accept your knowledge of football , including the club you purport to support is well.....pitiful but here’s the match stats

29AEFAC5-3941-4E75-90CC-A0BC9F5F43FF.png

Bless him, he’s getting his playoff finals confused, isn’t he?

His hero Danny Wilson & the abysmal performance against Brighton was the one when we didn’t have a shot on target & their only one was the penalty..

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

13 shots on target!………..:rofl2br:what game were you at?

I never saw a single one.

Adebola had a shot on target in the first 2 minutes, did you even go?

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

13 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Totally forgot who Vasko was. Had to Google him! 

Was pretty good if I remember correctly. I loved that side, not the most technical but hard working and very tough to beat. 

Such a shame that Steve Brooker was so injury prone at the time, I think had he stayed fit he was that 15-20 goal a season striker we so badly needed in that side.