IGNORED

Nige must be really frustrated….

Robbored

44 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Individually I agree, Johnson wasn’t as talented as the other midfielders. That ignores the context of his role in the team though. Noble for example simply couldn’t have played that role.

Often a team needs a few water carrier type players (think Liverpool with Milner or Henderson) who may not be quite as talented as the others, but play an important role regardless.

I remember a thread on here awhile ago outlining LJs playing career. I don’t recall the exact details but he played around 405 professional matches 366 under his father……….I rest my case……………:cool2:

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I remember a thread on here awhile ago outlining LJs playing career. I don’t recall the exact details but he played around 405 professional matches 366 under his father……….I rest my case……………:cool2:

What’s your point exactly? From what I can see, all this shows is that Lee Johnson was a trusted choice for our most successful manager and for our most successful teams in modernish’ times.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What’s your point exactly? From what I can see, all this shows is that Lee Johnson was a trusted choice for our most successful manager and for our most successful teams in modernish’ times.

Is that Lee Johnson who was a regular in a inexpensive side that achieved our highest league position since the Div One days ?

He wasn’t a game changer but was a cog in a very efficient side

The thing I always saw in him was he was always making himself available to receive the ball, a recycler for teammates under pressure

Many Good sides have such a player , it’s an undervalued or understood role , and unglamorous

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

48 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Is that Lee Johnson who was a regular in a inexpensive side that achieved our highest league position since the Div One days ?

He wasn’t a game changer but was a cog in a very efficient side

The thing I always saw in him was he was always making himself available to receive the ball, a recycler for teammates under pressure

Many Good sides have such a player , it’s an undervalued or understood role , and unglamorous

Yes, but we were so good apparently that we reached the playoff final to get into The Prem despite consistently picking a player who was so crap that he “only ever got a game because of his Dad”.

And it was so easy to achieve this that we’ve gone on & done it loads of times since..

Bloody hell, just how good were those other 10 then?

The manager who signed almost all those 10 must have been a total genius, eh? ?

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, but we were so good apparently that we reached the playoff final to get into The Prem despite consistently picking a player who was so crap that he “only ever got a game because of his Dad”.

And it was so easy to achieve this that we’ve gone on & done it loads of times since..

It is a miracle that with a Conference Manager at the helm and a passenger in midfield we were a kick away from the Premier League , Graham , indeed !

...... Or maybe someone has clearly attended Ashton Gate with a bag over his head for those years , or is just embarrassed having been humiliated and shamed 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

Based on the numerous conversations over the entire time he played at City I had with other City fans who to a man shared the opinion that LJ was a bang average player and got selected over better players thru nepotism.

Cheers for the reply Robbo - I would never claim to know what ‘all’ City fans think about anything - because I would never know what ‘all’ City fans think ... but anyhow, cheers for getting back to me ...

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Many City want to be entertained and GJ got around that by playing dull and pedestrian football but amazingly managed to actually win matches and that off set the one dimensional style that he served up. It was so dull that I nearly fell ? 

Anyhow it’s all water under the bridge and GJ is now managing at the level that is ideal for his skill set.

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Many City want to be entertained and GJ got around that by playing dull and pedestrian football but amazingly managed to actually win matches and that off set the one dimensional style that he served up. It was so dull that I nearly fell ? 

Anyhow it’s all water under the bridge and GJ is now managing at the level that is ideal for his skill set.

One dimensional?

Sums you up!

We may actually have gone up automatically that year if LJ hadn't been injured.

Did you go to Wembley for the game or decide to stay home because you were so bored? Oh but of course you did, silly me, no doubt driving a minibus full of City fans eh?

• Haha 1