IGNORED

Nige must be really frustrated….

Robbored

20 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

In what way? LJ acted as a good foil for Marvs deficiency - i.e. his inability to make a pass of more than 5 yards.  LJ got injured against Watford and the form after that is stark.  All we needed was to hold on for the win against Stoke after leading at half time and we'd have finished 2nd.  Or if we'd won just two of the matches we lost we'd be looking at the same.  It was fine margins that season, but it derailed when LJ was out of the team.

image.png.3ca4520bde1963acdb77a794111f1a52.png

Almost every City fan considered LJ to be a bang average midfielder who only got in the team thru nepotism. He rarely contributed anything meaningful. We all saw it (except you it seems) and that he was carried by the likes of Noble and Marv who both covered for his ineffectiveness.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 1team said:

Good post. Age plays tricks on the older mind!

Age doesn't have anything to do with it.  It's stubbornness. To acknowledge the point I made, he would have to accept that we were fine margins away from GJ taking us into the Prem.  And there's no chance of that happening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Almost every City fan considered LJ to be a bang average midfielder who only got in the team thru nepotism. He rarely contributed anything meaningful. We all saw it (except you it seems) and that he was carried by the likes of Noble and Marv who both covered for his ineffectiveness.

In what reality is this true?  There's no doubt at all that LJ was a marmite player, and to argue the merits of him as a player is pointless as it could go on forever.   Marv was a different player when he didn't have LJ alongside him and that's a fact.  Another fact is that when LJ got injured we'd lost just 3 games in 21.  After, we lost 5 in 8.  You don't have to be a rocket scientist.  Surely even you can acknowledge that fact. Arguably GJ probably did rush him back too early, which saw him miss most of April as a result, but he rushed him back because our form tanked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daored said:

It was mentioned a week or or so back by @headhunterwe could pay him monthly as we did with Johnson (apparently). If we pay Pearson off monthly it reduces our budget to both bring in a new manager and also improve the squad. If we’ve only got £10 a month and Pearson is due £6 then it means we can only pay £4 to a new manager / coaching staff. Financially we’re in a right old mess , we’ve got players in the squad on good wages who aren’t being selected and we can’t move on. 

Yes, it seems to be the case these days that rather than “paying up” in a one-off amount (poor for cash flow and FFP if > 12 months left) that it’s “better” to continue paying them until they find a job elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, it seems to be the case these days that rather than “paying up” in a one-off amount (poor for cash flow and FFP if > 12 months left) that it’s “better” to continue paying them until they find a job elsewhere.

But for some reason it’s not considered the impact on finances going forward!! It’s a debt against the club that we have to honour and will reduce our capacity to be used for other reasons, new manager / coaching staff or new players 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, daored said:

But for some reason it’s not considered the impact on finances going forward!! It’s a debt against the club that we have to honour and will reduce our capacity to be used for other reasons, new manager / coaching staff or new players 

? 

4 hours ago, Pezo said:

More like:

Year One - Survive - (done)

Year Two - More cuts and somehow still survive. (Pipe dream)

Year Three - improve. (Probably in league 1)

Think that if we survive next year and avoid FFP sanctions plus a Business Plan, then Year 3 can represent some light at the end of the tunnel-  so many out of contract, I believe Pearson can keep us up.

Big sell on clauses might also ease and speed up the process, otoh if none materialise then we might have to sell one of the 3 who are likely to command a big fee.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Under tight financial restrictions.

Baker has a serious injury no one could foresee (not accepting his injury record, he had one bad season other than that his availability was at least 30+ games every year)

Tanner, likewise injured

Atkinson, not necessarily expected to become a regular starter? Injuries too but looked good before that.

Simpson is a strange one.

Klose has looked pretty good.

How many of those would have been his preferred option if money was no object?

Money is never going to be no object .. ??

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

How about “I don’t give a shit about GJ or where he’s managing these days?”……………:cool2:

How about "You check the Torquay score on SSN every time they play and piss yourself laughing every time they lose"...... is closer to the truth ?

Obsessed GIF

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think that if we survive next year and avoid FFP sanctions plus a Business Plan, then Year 3 can represent some light at the end of the tunnel-  so many out of contract, I believe Pearson can keep us up.

Big sell on clauses might also ease and speed up the process, otoh if none materialise then we might have to sell one of the 3 who are likely to command a big fee.

There's a lot of wishful thinking in this one.

My experience of being a Bristol City fan is expect the worst because it's going to be worse than that! So what we'll have to do is sell AS and AS, HNM will stay and run down his contract, after we are forced to sell both the AS's then we will get money in from sell on clauses.

With our new found wealth we'll then proceed to buy a bunch "premier league experienced players" that turn out to be injury prone, the biggest bunch of dross under the sun or players not interested in being here, think a team of Nicky Hunts!

We then get relegated having waisted all that money and have all this dross for the next 3 years.

I think I need a rest ?.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, bris red said:

The scary thing is i think the trio of Holden and the other two numpties he had as assistants actually had us slightly more organised at the back..

Not much. From memory we seemed to concede a lot of early goals, and we were just as poor at dealing with crosses, particularly from Jack Hunts side. Maybe Nagy, Pato and Weimann ( before injury) contributed more defensively than our current midfield.

Any difference defensively was offset by our abysmal shots per game average.

I know what I would rather watch.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I think he’ll walk at the end of the season . What’s he realistically gonna achieve here with the financial restraints from the club being ran so poorly for years . I think anyone who takes the managers job under the current ownership is set up to fail.

If he wants to get another managers’ job there’s not much incentive for him to leave as his record here is awful. Any sensible club owner, with an incy knowledge of what it’s like at city, would make allowances. Unfortunately, most owners are crackpots, from a football perspective, so would just look at his record and regard him as a failure. Hence, no job. If he wants to stay in football management he’s got to make next season a success. Even if it’s only a relative success 

22 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If he wants to get another managers’ job there’s not much incentive for him to leave as his record here is awful. Any sensible club owner, with an incy knowledge of what it’s like at city, would make allowances. Unfortunately, most owners are crackpots, from a football perspective, so would just look at his record and regard him as a failure. Hence, no job. If he wants to stay in football management he’s got to make next season a success. Even if it’s only a relative success 

I hope he can make it a success, thought it was a great appointment at the time but we’re so much in the ? I honestly don’t see how he can have the resources to make it a success. Unfortunately it seems that he can’t win and he’s the one who’s gonna end up taking the blame from supporters instead of those at the top who let us get in this mess .

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I hope he can make it a success, thought it was a great appointment at the time but we’re so much in the ? I honestly don’t see how he can have the resources to make it a success. Unfortunately it seems that he can’t win and he’s the one who’s gonna end up taking the blame from supporters instead of those at the top who let us get in this mess .

Success next season should be judged as avoiding relegation.

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

Almost every City fan considered LJ to be a bang average midfielder who only got in the team thru nepotism...

Wild speculation? Can you share your research and evidence that led you to claim that ‘almost every Bristol City fan’ believed something?

Worldwide we probably have a couple of hundred thousand fans - but you’ve obviously tapped into all their views and concluded that ‘almost every City fan’ held a certain opinion. 

Let us know how you felt able to make that claim? For the record, I agree with you ...

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wild speculation? Can you share your research and evidence that led you to claim that ‘almost every Bristol City fan’ believed something?

Worldwide we probably have a couple of hundred thousand fans - but you’ve obviously tapped into all their views and concluded that ‘almost every City fan’ held a certain opinion. 

Let us know how you felt able to make that claim? For the record, I agree with you ...

Based on the numerous conversations over the entire time he played at City I had with other City fans who to a man shared the opinion that LJ was a bang average player and got selected over better players thru nepotism.

• Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Based on the numerous conversations over the entire time he played at City I had with other City fans who to a man shared the opinion that LJ was a bang average player and got selected over better players thru nepotism.

Individually I agree, Johnson wasn’t as talented as the other midfielders. That ignores the context of his role in the team though. Noble for example simply couldn’t have played that role.

Often a team needs a few water carrier type players (think Liverpool with Milner or Henderson) who may not be quite as talented as the others, but play an important role regardless.

I think I’ve almost certainly wasted my time engaging on anything GJ related but there we are.