IGNORED

How long has Pearson got left?

Negan

(Oh and also, whether the OP states he doesn’t want NP to go or not if a thread is titled “How Long has Pearson Got Left” it’ll naturally attract people who want him to go, which is bizarre if they’re justifying on todays performance. It’s like calling a thread “How big a tosser do we think Joey Barton is” and feigning surprise when people say “A huge one”)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Negan said:

I’m by no means in the Pearson out camp…. Yet anyway. However after yet again another win snatched away in the final seconds. I’ve left the ground thinking, at what point is this not considered bad luck but bad management. He’s been here a long time now and like Lee Johnson with his streaks, Pearson just can’t kick this last second crumble. He’ll obviously see out the season and be given the summer but if this sort of form continues in to the new season, surely he doesn’t have long. I’d hope we’d act quickly and if things aren’t any different by October we go with someone else.

I’ll admit there has been an improvement since he’s been here and let’s face it, the squad he’s inherited isn’t the best but it’s the little things like giving pens away, conceding at the death, how god damn awful we are at defending set pieces and just defending overall that’s getting harder and harder to ignore. Hopefully Nige can get backed in the summer and sort these massive problems out but if he can’t. It definitely needs freshening up. I’m sure someone could get more out of this team defensively with one or two additions. Remains to be seen if that somebody is Nige…

53 minutes ago, TomF said:

The summer and 10 games into next season I’d say. If we don’t see improvement by then I think his position starts to become unattainable  

Nigel Pearson has a three year contract for a three year or more project. The only thing that will change that is if we are in the bottom three for an extended period. 

As for improvement, we have seen tones of it, you simply have to look at how crap we were after Covid began, circa end of LJ who wasted millions on dross and Holden who simply could not catch a break with injuries or find any offensive cohesion or just some kind of threat. 

Pearson was employed to make a team out of some experienced pros and bring on value from our academy which is exactly what he’s done. Semenyo is hot property, however before Pearson’s arrival there were countless threads on whether he was any good in any position. Scott at 18 is a revelation HNM has decent value as does Pring who couldn’t get a game. Anderson always looks like a decent player, Cundy is looking a very decent player who almost certainly get a contract, Benerous and now Josh Owers are getting on the bench, I could go on but I think I have made my point. 

Yes there are things to work on particularly with game management, but the guy knew what a bag of LJ ASHTON, SL and the playboys shit he was getting but he’s doing the job he was brought in for and not giving way to anyone’s bullshit!

• Like 3

Bit shocked to see this as the first thread on 3 pages when I came in tonight…and some of the comments…wow.

But having read a couple of pages of the MFT at h-t, I’m not surprised.

Firstly I wonder how many posters were actually at AG today and saw the impact the wind had on the game?  Was blowing a gale, swirling around. But the posts about Wells when he came on, prove agendas.  Some aren’t really prepared to base their opinions on what actually goes on.

The worst of OTIB. ??‍♂️

• Like 10
  • Flames 8

10 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

Agreed. The club has been run abysmally for many, many years. It is a shithouse of a setup impacted by the “Bristol Sport” ideaology and the eagerness to sell any decent family silver that come along, and more often than not replace with monkeys - LJ/Ashton era.

Getting rid of NP will make absolutely no difference until the deep rooted problems within the club are addressed, which NP and RG are trying to address. Ignore the idiots on here.

The reason for selling the family silver was to enable us to keep increasing the wage bill. Whether that improved the team doesn't seem to have been a consideration.

Quite how that is great as either a financial or football strategy defeats me but it has left us in the mess we are in.

Steve has got off remarkably lightly given it was his master plan. Not that he would ever admit to a mistake.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

How long has Pearson got left ? Another season to see if the three year plan delivers tangible progress. That was the deal and I think it needs to be seen through. Just lots of very predictable knee jerking as usual. 

Sometimes credit has to be given to the opposition and I thought 2-2 today was a fair result regardless of when the goals were scored. I thought we would have to be at 100% to get anything out of the game and for WBA to be off their game to get a positive result - and so it proved.

Good hard earned point today against a very strong team and, imo, strange to bring up NPs future after this game.

Against a defence of Pring, Atkinson and Cundy who have probably less than 50 Championship starts between them. Some of our fans need to give their head a wobble and realise this is rebuild that requires some patience. Any other manager or season we would probably be heading into League 1.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

The reason for selling the family silver was to enable us to keep increasing the wage bill. Whether that improved the team doesn't seem to have been a consideration.

Quite how that is great as either a financial or football strategy defeats me but it has left us in the mess we are in.

Steve has got off remarkably lightly given it was his master plan. Not that he would ever admit to a mistake.

Some would call it bonkers....

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Yep.  People can choose to put their slant / bias on the transfer receipts as a reason to defend the previous regime…but ultimately we lost over £40m, even with those transfers….and left a big mess for Holden initially, then Pearson to take over.  Holden hampered by Ashton too.

The facts are there, people ignore them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Not with me he hasn’t. Lansdown’s complete and utter mismanagement of the football side of things sees us where we are today. ******* mint training ground mind….

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 7

Just now, Northern Red said:

Some would call it bonkers....

You may very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment.?

Judging by what Gould has said it was all going swimmingly until Covid robbed us of a guaranteed £30m in transfer income. Yeah, right.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah I’d agree there. I actually don’t put the last minute goal today down to any kind of psychological thing - we actually did the right behaviours of going for corners etc and were unlucky on decisions such as the throw. I think the making a tactical sub was the only thing missing in what you’d expect from game management 90+ minutes

I'd actually argue we are so shit at keeping it in the corner, we may as well have tried to attack the goal. You never know, they were throwing everything forward, we might have put the game out of their reach 

Normally on the 90th minute you try to keep the ball in the corner and await the series of throw-ins holding the game up. 

This is Bristol City though and our "game management" only buys us about 10 seconds. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep.  People can choose to put their slant / bias on the transfer receipts as a reason to defend the previous regime…but ultimately we lost over £40m, even with those transfers….and left a big mess for Holden initially, then Pearson to take over.  Holden hampered by Ashton too.

I do t think they can get their heads round it as opposed to ignoring it tbh. Thick as shite some are….

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Not with me he hasn’t. Lansdown’s complete and utter mismanagement of the football side of things sees us where we are today. ******* mint training ground mind….

Oi, it's a High Performance Centre, show some respect.?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'd actually argue we are so shit at keeping it in the corner, we may as well have tried to attack the goal. You never know, they were throwing everything forward, we might have put the game out of their reach 

Normally on the 90th minute you try to keep the ball in the corner and await the series of throw-ins holding the game up. 

This is Bristol City though and our "game management" only buys us about 10 seconds. 

True. But you have to start doing the right thing at one point, and at least it was a step towards the right behaviours…!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You may very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment.?

Judging by what Gould has said it was all going swimmingly until Covid robbed us of a guaranteed £30m in transfer income. Yeah, right.

He had JL with a gun in his back.

The strategy for this summer’s recruit is set, but has lots of dependencies.  The strategy is very sensible.  It’s about executing it…that’s the hard part.  You can’t just go and get who you want, other clubs might want them, they might not want to come here, they might cost too much.

• Like 2

I've been underwhelmed by the progress under Nige to this point but i do appreciate the constraints he is working under.

I think this summer will be really interesting and whoever we bring in (3 or 4 free transfers etc) have to work, otherwise next season will be an even bigger struggle.

If we have to sell Semenyo or Scott then so be it, but the players Nige brings in have to hit the ground running otherwise he will start to be under pressure.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

I honestly don't think people realise how much work nige has had to do apart from his main job,It seems the club behind the scenes is a mess and nige seems to be settling that but it won't be until the summer when things can be done. Like Johnson he needs time even more so without the finance but it's important Pearson gets the chance to get the club on a more professional footing and don't forget the club's still operating under COVID protacals.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TomF said:

The summer and 10 games into next season I’d say. If we don’t see improvement by then I think his position starts to become unattainable  

The only trouble with this approach is IF it goes pear shaped at the start of next season a new manager will have NP's summer transfer in's and out's to work with. The Jan window is usually rubbish so it won't be until the start of the following season you see the new manager's team.

Another thought is if those thoughts are in SL mind then he might be reluctant to back NP in the summer transfer market.

8 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

The only trouble with this approach is IF it goes pear shaped at the start of next season a new manager will have NP's summer transfer in's and out's to work with. The Jan window is usually rubbish so it won't be until the start of the following season you see the new manager's team.

Another thought is if those thoughts are in SL mind then he might be reluctant to back NP in the summer transfer market.

So what’s the answer? Sack NP, pay off his contract and appoint a new man. 

Welcome to Bristol City, you haven’t got a penny to spend, but the OTIB brigade insist that you make a silk purse out of a sows ear…

Good luck. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly! 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

SLs backing will be a direct factor of sales. FFP guarantees that. If anyone thinks SL will want to take money from the sales, that have to take place, don’t understand how much a couple of billion sterling actually is. 

it’s a matter of who. HNM is the obvious one. However Scott is worth the most but Semenyo is not far behind. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bit shocked to see this as the first thread on 3 pages when I came in tonight…and some of the comments…wow.

But having read a couple of pages of the MFT at h-t, I’m not surprised.

Firstly I wonder how many posters were actually at AG today and saw the impact the wind had on the game?  Was blowing a gale, swirling around. But the posts about Wells when he came on, prove agendas.  Some aren’t really prepared to base their opinions on what actually goes on.

The worst of OTIB. ??‍♂️

Were you there? Go to the least amount of games out of most poster yet you with one of the loudest voices. ?

• Confused 8

I think there’s more chance of him chucking in the towel honestly and taking a walk than being shown the door.

We need to persevere as today was for long periods about as good as we’ve had it all season, despite the hammer blow of conceding the umpteenth stoppage time goal of the campaign.

His post-match remarks, however, seriously got my hackles up: “It’s the same players making the same mistakes.”

So stop selecting them then.

• Hmmm 1

Just now, billywedlock said:

Did you not see the bench today ? Who do you think he should pick ? The Under-18's ? 

I don’t think he’s right, but if he truly believes the players he’s picking are costing us time and again then yes, he should take a gamble on their understudies.

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

A bit of common sense from the bench and we could have see the game out . 1 min of injury time left and we still had two subs to bring on . Who in their right mind doesn’t use that to eek out that last  60 seconds ? 

Trouble is mate if he does that and we concede its still his fault. 

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

A bit of common sense from the bench and we could have see the game out . 1 min of injury time left and we still had two subs to bring on . Who in their right mind doesn’t use that to eek out that last  60 seconds ? 

I've never quite understood this.  I can understand that putting a sub on breaks up play and momentum.  It's not going to run down the clock though and the ref will just add the equivalent time on, and if anything add on extra time.  Surely it just risks putting a player on who is not up to speed with the game? Putting on a striker, or an extra defender makes sense, but I have never seen the point of putting on a sub for the sake of it.

Edited by bbew
  • Like 1

Refs add on 30 seconds per sub.

Makes no difference at all, just breaks up play.

After a very decent and organised performance it totally amazed me when we didn't bring Vyner on as a "screen" for Wells when we had the free kick by their corner flag at the end. like you say wasting valuable seconds and breaking momentum

Not just me either, at least 2 others around me were shouting the same.

Such a shame after looking a very solid mid-table Championship team for 90 minutes.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Well if you were there I can only assume you spent 90 minutes doing the Poznań?

**** knows what that is. I watched us bottle 3 points again though. Waiting for davefevs to crunch some numbers and say how we were unlucky. Matter of fact, why doesn’t Numero Uno contribute to the conversation? I bet it has been a hell of a season for the mighty BCFC hey? Clown

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

I don’t think he’s right, but if he truly believes the players he’s picking are costing us time and again then yes, he should take a gamble on their understudies.

What absolute shit. Look at our bench today. People slagged of O’Leary, Vyner is shit and will be gone in the summer, Bell got hanged the last time he played, Conway hasn’t played all season, Benarous maybe if played wide, and Owers would’ve been a debutant. Wells — the only experienced played we had on the bench by the way — made an impact. It wouldn’t be much of gamble, we’d have been slaughtered in all probability in which case NP would still get hammered. 

We got a good point today, which as disappointing as the late goal was, was probably a fair reflection against a side with a bigger budget and genuine promotion aspirations.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

**** knows what that is. I watched us bottle 3 points again though. Waiting for davefevs to crunch some numbers and say how we were unlucky. Matter of fact, why doesn’t Numero Uno contribute to the conversation? I bet it has been a hell of a season for the mighty BCFC hey? Clown

It doesn’t surprise me you don’t know what the Poznan is. You know **** all.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, tin said:

What absolute shit. Look at our bench today. People slagged of O’Leary, Vyner is shit and will be gone in the summer, Bell got hanged the last time he played, Conway hasn’t played all season, Benarous maybe if played wide, and Owers would’ve been a debutant. Wells — the only experienced played we had on the bench by the way — made an impact. It wouldn’t be much of gamble, we’d have been slaughtered in all probability in which case NP would still get hammered. 

We got a good point today, which as disappointing as the late goal was, was probably a fair reflection against a side with a bigger budget and genuine promotion aspirations.

Pearson picks the bench. Has all but cast Nakhi Wells off yet he comes on today and looks our best forward. 

If you said before the game, draw. Yea good point. If you say we are 2-1 up with 5 min to go a point is ******* woeful. Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig. We are shit and have gotten worse as the season has progressed. Pearson is a dinosaur and the longer he is here the more of a hole we dig ourselves

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It doesn’t surprise me you don’t know what the Poznan is. You know **** all.

I know you wouldn’t tell me that to me face to face you melt. ******* keyboard warriors. Oh davefevs let me protect your honour. Pussy

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

I know you wouldn’t tell me that to me face to face you melt. ******* keyboard warriors. Oh davefevs let me protect your honour. Pussy

What the hell are you going on about? Yeah, we’re all petrified of you cos you talk like Danny Dyer. Yeah, shitting ourselves.

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Ah, the questions that none of the people screaming for Pearson to go can ever answer.

STEVE COTTERILL sacked before his time by K Dawe after saying "he has the capacity to be a prem manager" on 14/1/16 he was also backed by a certain SL who said (according to wiki) " The man to take us forward"  after which he made some really great choices to better SC..........take your pick..............from everyone since then.

He got us back in this div and we sh1te on him 2minutes later....NR is this an answer? 

Just now, gl2 said:

STEVE COTTERILL sacked before his time by K Dawe after saying "he has the capacity to be a prem manager" on 14/1/16 he was also backed by a certain SL who said (according to wiki) " The man to take us forward"  after which he made some really great choices to better SC..........take your pick..............from everyone since then.

He got us back in this div and we sh1te on him 2minutes later....NR is this an answer? 

What’s Steve Cotterill doing these days? No disrespect intended.

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Pearson picks the bench. Has all but cast Nakhi Wells off yet he comes on today and looks our best forward. 

If you said before the game, draw. Yea good point. If you say we are 2-1 up with 5 min to go a point is ******* woeful. Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig. We are shit and have gotten worse as the season has progressed. Pearson is a dinosaur and the longer he is here the more of a hole we dig ourselves

You’re usually a pretty reasonable poster, but you’re spouting shit here. What alternatives to Owers, Conway or Bell were there today? None. If you think today was shit, you don’t have a clue. 

• Like 2

Just now, gl2 said:

He got us back in this div and we sh1te on him 2minutes later....NR is this an answer?  by the way dont expect you agree but NP will be given more time in this div than SC was and he got us here.

What the hell are you going on about? Yeah, we’re all petrified of you cos you talk like Danny Dyer. Yeah, shitting ourselves.

Who is danny dyer? Not a clown so not sure. But big man numero uno here to protect davefevs virginity. More like numero cien. That is 100 for the uneducated

Who is danny dyer? Not a clown so not sure. But big man numero uno here to protect davefevs virginity. More like numero cien. That is 100 for the uneducated

I’m not protecting any poster, haven’t mentioned any poster. We are all disappointed with letting in a last second goal today but calling people clowns, melts, pussies etc. shows that you don’t have the maturity to get it out of your system. Why don’t you phone a mate and go and get pissed or something? Or would you end up sparking your mate out in a huff, what with being the forum hard man and all that…..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tin said:

You’re usually a pretty reasonable poster, but you’re spouting shit here. What alternatives to Owers, Conway or Bell were there today? None. If you think today was shit, you don’t have a clue. 

No today was fine. The season has been shit. The same problems no matter who has been the alternatives. Hell NP thought enough of Bell to start him at rb a few times. Benarous has started plenty. No matter who has started or who has been on the bench we have struggled. 

50 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Were you there? Go to the least amount of games out of most poster yet you with one of the loudest voices. ?

I like discussing Bristol City / Football on OTIB.  I go to home games.  Is that a problem?

13 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Boy oh boy, you really got some shit for me tonight.

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Perhaps posters like some of the stuff I post???  Just like I like lots of stuff others post.

• Like 7

What’s Steve Cotterill doing these days? No disrespect intended.

you know what hes doing, he got us to this div and league cup trophy winners, if he had half the money what GJ/LJ had for transfers, we would be in the prem by now; we kicked him out before his time then give others millions to spend/waste and years to do it as well.

I’m not protecting any poster, haven’t mentioned any poster. We are all disappointed with letting in a last second goal today but calling people clowns, melts, pussies etc. shows that you don’t have the maturity to get it out of your system. Why don’t you phone a mate and go and get pissed or something? Or would you end up sparking your mate out in a huff, what with being the forum hard man and all that…..

Got no mates. Want to come to come to pub with me? 

1 minute ago, gl2 said:

you know what hes doing, he got us to this div and league cup trophy winners, if he had half the money what GJ/LJ had for transfers, we would be in the prem by now; we kicked him out before his time then give others millions to spend/waste and years to do it as well.

If he came back right now though he would be searching down the back of the sofa!! I don’t doubt that has he been backed things would have been different. That’s Steve Lansdown’s issue not Nigel Pearson’s though.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Facts ??‍♂️

Just now, tin said:

Often critical of the Manager and still don't see him as the answer BUT today was good for 91 minutes (let down by not using a sub in the 92nd.)

Correct formation with the correct players in each position (he had available) we looked organised and with a game plan and was just what I assumed we would get when this manager walked through the door.

The most important part of the day was that it put to bed the ludicrous statements on here about our group of players not being good enough to be at least mid table in this Division. Proved today that organised and set up properly they could be a decent team in this Division. That excuse at least is now defunct.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I like discussing Bristol City / Football on OTIB.  I go to home games.  Is that a problem?

Boy oh boy, you really got some shit for me tonight.

Perhaps posters like some of the stuff I post???  Just like I like lots of stuff others post.

I took umbrage to how you responded to someone else’s opinion on things. You have taken a higher opinion of yourself because you paid for a subscription on tableau. So when you go at someone now, how do you think that makes them feel? I ain’t having someone who goes to home games make another fan feel like shit when they have an opinion. You don’t need your shit opinions in every ******* thread. You are a nobody like everyone else here. 

I’ll get back to you………

Can‘t wait…

• Haha 2

I took umbrage to how you responded to someone else’s opinion on things. You have taken a higher opinion of yourself because you paid for a subscription on tableau. So when you go at someone now, how do you think that makes them feel? I ain’t having someone who goes to home games make another fan feel like shit when they have an opinion. You don’t need your shit opinions in every ******* thread. You are a nobody like everyone else here. 

Can‘t wait…

Probably time to log off…

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

They don’t have the balls, the backbone, the nous, the know how, the brains, the leadership, the communication, the shithousery, the skills, the wisdom or the capability. To close out games. 

.... in other words, everything Neil Warnock is renowned for instilling into a group of players .... if only we’d appointed Warnock ten years ago ... oh well, too late now. Anyway, I had to get a reference to Neil in, because it’s just expected of me in threads about the management of our club ... ??????

5 minutes ago, gl2 said:

This what gets me. The bloke right at the top has put shit loads of money in but his decision making has been so shit, consistently over a 20 year period that you have to question how much worse off we’d be if he never bothered. My guess is we would be a Rotherham type yo-yo club with a slightly less fancy stadium and a less fancy Low Performance Centre…….and wouldn’t have been losing £400k per week to tread water at Championship level. One Championship play off final in twenty odd years shouldn’t cost hundreds of millions of debt?

But it seems the bloke is bomb proof and doesn’t have to answer to anyone. His club, he’ll **** it up his way.

8 minutes ago, Waconda said:

Often critical of the Manager and still don't see him as the answer BUT today was good for 91 minutes (let down by not using a sub in the 92nd.)

That’s a different argument to the lack of experience/quality on the bench, though. I actually agree with your point, but maybe he thought bringing one of those lads on was too much of a risk? Who knows. It’s gone, it’s a good point. 

8 minutes ago, Waconda said:

The most important part of the day was that it put to bed the ludicrous statements on here about our group of players not being good enough to be at least mid table in this Division. Proved today that organised and set up properly they could be a decent team in this Division. That excuse at least is now defunct.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer for me. If the players can’t motivate themselves to play against of the league’s big boys then they won’t be here much longer. They did today; the challenge is to do it consistently and cut out the errors.

Edited by tin

You can stop following me on Tableau now then?

I use the free version by the way! ??‍♂️

1348A3BE-AEB5-434E-A8F8-4AA0E414A0FB.thumb.jpeg.65ad95e392506ce19bf4a1daa1745232.jpeg

The rest, I don’t really want to drag the OP into it.  She will DM me if she feels the need.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

10 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

Facts ??‍♂️

NP;

Sacked 2015 Liecs

"left" Derby 2016

Sacked Oh leuven 2019

Sacked Watford 2020

Unemployed till Feb 2021 taken on by us and..... well see prev 5 plus years, should have gone with SC Steve

Edited by gl2

Can‘t wait…

Not sure I agree on your bully point here (not intentionally anyway)

But do have sympathy's re the seeming "clique" of "super posters" whose opinion is seen as sacrosanct and often team up to shout down dissenters.

Everyone's opinion on here is as valid as the next (spreadsheets or not)