IGNORED

Forest v Liverpool

daored

27 minutes ago, TomF said:

Van Djik played, Alexander Arnold is injured.   I should imagine out of the three trophies left the FA cup is probably the least important 

Absolutely it is. 

The media frequently refer to the “quadruple”.. The two domestic cups, one they already have and the PL and Champions League cup. It’s never been done  Klopp has laughed at the prospect - but you never know.   :dunno:
It would amazing if they did it.

Edited by Robbored

30 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

and inheriting a better squad of players. 

Do Luton have a better squad of players than us? Blackpool? Preston? Coventry? Millwall? 

All better than us.  I don’t think the league table is a list from top to bottom of the best and worst squads. The manager has an enormous impact on how the team performs and how good the players individually perform in that team.  

Hughton is a hugely respected manager who a lot fans wanted here. Who’s to say how good the Forest squad is.  Pearson might well have excuses but is our squad better than it’s league position and performances? In my view, yes 

43 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Do Luton have a better squad of players than us? Blackpool? Preston? Coventry? Millwall? 

All better than us.  I don’t think the league table is a list from top to bottom of the best and worst squads. The manager has an enormous impact on how the team performs and how good the players individually perform in that team.  

Hughton is a hugely respected manager who a lot fans wanted here. Who’s to say how good the Forest squad is.  Pearson might well have excuses but is our squad better than it’s league position and performances? In my view, yes 

I definitely get where you are coming from and I think on some levels the team is better than our position (a little bit). However, I think it's much more down to inconsistency than anything else - and thats where our lack of experience comes in.

I'd say you have AW, CM, Bentley, and Kalas who have been available fairly regularly and are experienced pros at this level - to be fair you could probably add Jay in there too (although a little less experienced and younger than the others).  The rest really aren't ! That's over half the team who are not experienced at champ level.

We have rarely been able to pick the same midfield at all, and (for the most part) the same goes for defense. We have Pring, Tanner, Atkinson, Scott, Semenyo, Massengo who have played regularly who all lack experience at this level (you could make a case for Massengo being experienced at this level I suppose) + most of them are young and lack any experience at all - not just experience in the champ. Add in Bell,  O'leary, Benorous, Conway and Towler and you have 5 more academy players who have had game time and who also lack experience. All of that is not including Cundy who has come in for the last few games! 

You can add in Klose to the experienced column and he has been great and sorely needed. However after that the only players I haven't mentioned above are James - good in places, but not consistently fit, Williams - great at times but rarely available (not even really had a run of games), King - occasionally ok (disappointed mostly) and not consistently fit, COD - + not great, but has been as good as he has ever been for us, was available most of the the early season but injured now, Vyner - some injury issues, but mostly available and has had chances to stake his claim, and Palmer. That's it! That's the whole squad!

You could say he hasn't got the best from Palmer, Kalas, and maybe at a push COD and Vyner too, but do you think any of them are likely to go elsewhere and look like much better players? Palmer could (if his attitude changed) and Kalas maybe could have been more consistent, but really I think thats about it. 

We have a mostly young and/or inexperienced first team squad. At their best, they are better than our current position. However they are also likely to be less consistent and still learning. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Whichever way the pen call would fall laughable commentary from Dixon saying it wasn't clear and obvious so the VAR didn't change the decision, just look at the Allan red a few days ago for VAR changing questionable decisions.

The problem with VAR is they are comparing a real-time view, seen once by the referee to their slow-mo replays.

I often wonder if they forget to factor that when deciding if the ref has made a "clear and obvious" mistake.

In real time seeing it once, hard to say it was a red or not, happens very quickly. Watch it a couple of times on replay in real-time and I think you start to realise it was late, it was dangerous and no attempt to play the ball. Put it in slo-mo it looks even worse. I wouldn't say the ref made a "clear and obvious" mistake in the Everton game, but with benefit of a replay you can make an argument for a red.

In that scenario as VAR do you advise to give what you feel is the "correct" decision based on multiple replays - or do you go back and say the ref didn't make an obvious mistake so carry on with the "wrong" decision?

That question is probably easier to answer in a more obvious scenario such as the Carling Cup final when Keita almost castrated Chalobah - no idea why that wasn't a red