IGNORED

time to dump sky for the summer?

45 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Although I don't have sky maybe a good idea to dump the service for the summer and save a few pennys

As you have to give one months notice of cancellation

I got rid of it years ago. Jailbroken amazon firestick is the way to go ?

4 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I'm getting rid, more and more sporting stuff I personally have no interest in, women's football, women's cricket  their boxing coverage and shows are absolute tripe now and all the time.thenprice goes up, up and away. Not for me anymore

I’ve had Sky with sports and cinema for over 20 years but it just isn’t good value. They have cut the amount of content on cinema and sports while putting prices up. Fortunately Virgin Media have just installed cables in our street. I can get their full package with 350Mbps broadband for £70 per month or I can keep paying sky £140 per month with slower broadband. I’m just waiting for the current contract period to end and I’m off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Although I don't have sky maybe a good idea to dump the service for the summer and save a few pennys

I’ll keep it - as Phants says there’s other live sports available. My SKy package includes BT Sport and test cricket is a passion of mine as is County cricket especially when Somerset are on.

As for boxing………not interested  in two blokes repeatedly punching each other…….I wouldn’t dream of paying for a ‘live’ big fight.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

I’ve had Sky with sports and cinema for over 20 years but it just isn’t good value. They have cut the amount of content on cinema and sports while putting prices up. Fortunately Virgin Media have just installed cables in our street. I can get their full package with 350Mbps broadband for £70 per month or I can keep paying sky £140 per month with slower broadband. I’m just waiting for the current contract period to end and I’m off.

I’m coming up to a renewal and having serious thoughts after having been with Sky for a similar time.

To me, the one that’s totally on the table is the movies. You just have to look at the Oscars - films on Disney+, Apple, Netflix are the big winners. All the big budget Pixar/Marvel stuff hits Disney first and there just isn’t the value there for “must see” films.

The big thing here is that it costs Sky nothing to have you as a subscriber, so they need to realise 100% of £70 is worth more than 0% of £140.

The other thing I think they need to take notice of is the recent change in insurance regulation where you can’t charge a renewal more than a new customer. Sky are renowned for that and there is absolute readacross here to their pay TV model. If Dorries has a scintilla of intelligence (she doesn’t) it’s a wholly sensible thing for DCMS to go after.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

That was the Oscars mate! ?

Both were wrong, the ‘joke’ was in poor taste but Smith should not have reacted as he did. Speculation is that he could get suspended.

Rock was unaware that she suffers from alopecia. 

Not exactly a boxing match tho! 

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Both were wrong, the ‘joke’ was in poor taste but Smith should not have reacted as he did. Speculation is that he could get suspended.

Rock was unaware that she suffers from alopecia. 

Not exactly a boxing match tho! 

I don’t go for this wild speculation you reference.

IMO we should wait it’s on the academies official site before commenting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 13
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I’ll keep it - as Phants says there’s other live sports available. My SKy package includes BT Sport and test cricket is a passion of mine as is County cricket especially when Somerset are on.

As for boxing………not interested  in two blokes repeatedly punching each other…….I wouldn’t dream of paying for a ‘live’ big fight.  

I agree with that. I love watching Somerset when I can't get there to watch it.

However, I do Pay Per View Boxing as I do love a good dust up!

Good question!   I'm wondering the same thing.

I very recently bought a months sky sports pass  from Now TV - I wanted to watch the Spurs v Arsenal game and I went for the 30 odd quid for a month rather than the tenner for the day pass.     (must admit I assumed the WIndies Test match would be on Sky so I screwed that bit up!)

The London derby was a brilliant game, end to end stuff and really exciting.     I have to say that as I watched,  I noticed how much I was enjoying it and wondered why I put myself through the misery of watching Robins TV (which costs about the same per match).      

I've always been very cynical about people not supporting their local team.    I've got a mate who has lived all his life less than a mile from Ashton Gate but he supports Man United (pays a lot to go and see them).      I don't have any particular preferences out of the top teams but I guess I'd got for Liverpool if I had to make a pick now.

But I have to say,  watching really good football on Sky does make me wonder about where the heck City have got to.        You can accept not having world class talent (although having one of the richest people in the world as an owner surely means we should expect better?).    But you do expect some sort of team spirit, some sort of pulling together as one, giving the crowd something to get behind.    Supporting your local team is tribal.   I've been really proud and impressed by our fans, home and away, this season - they've been immense.     But the team and the staff,  don't seem to be able to generate the same enthusiasm.     Exactly like last year, and many before, we end up expecting our best players to leave,  nursing long term wounded, waiting for the rest of the contracts to run down, and hoping like heck there are some good youngsters who can make it at this level.       It's a terrible (sinful ?) thing to say but there are teams not a million miles from AG that have been able to get some team spirit going to great effect.    It's kind of essential for success.

SO, I think I will keep the pass for another month to see the season out and might even skip Robins TV for the next few away games to pay for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Anyone else concerned there may be another thread in a few days on how NTTDS spent 7and half hours negotiating a new deal with Sky.

• Haha 6

I wait for the special offers that Now TV (Sky non contract) do. 

Normally one pre season for 6 months and again at Xmas.

Cancel as soon as they whack the price up and sure enough another offer appears shortly after.

Like others I have no interest in Boxing, car racing, rugby or rabbit show jumping etc so offers best value and convenience for me.

The “value” of Sky Sports has declined massively over the years, but the cost has never reflected it.

Champions League, FA Cup, Rugby Union, Test Cricket (away, including ashes) have gone.

It’s not been all one way, the F1 coverage is genuinely excellent and a worthy addition, and I know this will make some cry, but The Hundred is very entertaining. 

There does seem to be a huge lack of variation and innovation with Sky though. No VR coverage further than Oculas headsets annoys me while the new Sky Glass service is seemingly just a rental TV with a built in box. 

If it wasn’t for a very good offer from Virgin I probably wouldn’t bother having both Sky and BT sport. Now Prem Rugby has its own streaming service, BT isn’t the only place I can watch it although I love watching the Italian football on a Sunday for the nostalgia factor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Anyone else concerned there may be another thread in a few days on how NTTDS spent 7and half hours negotiating a new deal with Sky.

Well as we know from my all time favourite NTTDS story, he was very much on the minds of Sky bosses back in the day.

However, I don’t think James Murdoch, the man who used to memorise our fixture list before each AGM so as not to get caught out by NTTDS, is one of the bosses any more. 

So negotiations may be difficult this time.

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, Waconda said:

I wait for the special offers that Now TV (Sky non contract) do. 

Normally one pre season for 6 months and again at Xmas.

Cancel as soon as they whack the price up and sure enough another offer appears shortly after.

Like others I have no interest in Boxing, car racing, rugby or rabbit show jumping etc so offers best value and convenience for me.

Yeah I recently took advantage of a deal where I paid £10 for a Sky Sports day pass and got six months of Sky Sports Mobile for free. Incredible value!

• Like 1

I think Sky is very expensive but what even is the “summer” as far as football is concerned, the playoffs (which are always a brilliant watch, especially as you’re not involved) will take us to the end of May, then I believe next season starts even earlier to accommodate the break for the World Cup, so in late July?

I can get that finances are tight for many but this is barely 8 weeks & as others have said, a bit of county cricket (especially if it features the South West’s premier team) is always worth a look.

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think Sky is very expensive but what even is the “summer” as far as football is concerned, the playoffs (which are always a brilliant watch, especially as you’re not involved) will take us to the end of May, then I believe next season starts even earlier to accommodate the break for the World Cup, so in late July?

I can get that finances are tight for many but this is barely 8 weeks & as others have said, a bit of county cricket (especially if it features the South West’s premier team) is always worth a look.

I think a lot of people are changing their viewing platforms, lots of people watching from abroad now .............................. 

43 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Good point Graham , let’s hope Somerset are indeed featured ??

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

8 hours ago, phantom said:

If you solely buy it for football then maybe, but there are so many other sports covered on there. 

I usually watch more live sport over the summer months as have no interest in any other team than City 

8 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Mark serious question,can you reccall when the ticket machine was installed at Parson Street

I don't have sky, I have otib/this ^^^

6 hours ago, supercidered said:

I agree with that. I love watching Somerset when I can't get there to watch it.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I am assuming you both refer to Somerset when mentioning County Cricket, but is watching on SKY any different to watching the live stream on the official SCCC site?

The Somerset stream gives a wonderful picture with very enjoyable commentary.

48 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am assuming you both refer to Somerset when mentioning County Cricket, but is watching on SKY any different to watching the live stream on the official SCCC site?

Never tried that. Thanks, I will give it a go.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Great as the live stream is, it ain’t no Sky.

Often one fixed camera so when the ball goes off the square you don’t see the action. No close ups, DRS or square leg cameras and replays that take too long.

We all like to moan about Sky, me included, but they’ve completely transformed the game as a tv spectacle.

The live stream is great though when not covered by Sky, I would gladly buy a live stream season ticket for a reasonable price, which would in turn help improve it.