IGNORED

Weimann Stat

Gazred

Haven't checked it myself but i think they said on RTV yesterday that Weimann's shots to goals ratio is:

The best in the Championship.

3rd best in England.

Makes the top 10 across the 4 top European leagues+ Champ.

Impressive if correct.

Watching the highlights earlier, what a brilliant lung busting run, right at the end of the game to get on that cross. His energy levels are equally impressive.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Haven't checked it myself but i think they said on RTV yesterday that Weimann's shots to goals ratio is:

3rd best in England.

Impressive if correct.

Watching the highlights earlier, what a brilliant lung busting run, right at the end of the game to get on that cross. His energy levels are equally impressive.

Toby pinched Rob @Olétweet from yesterday morning…didn’t even credit him ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gazred said:

3rd best in England.

Impressive if correct.

Just as well, as according to a certain podcaster (who has gone quiet recently) all Weimann does is run around a lot waving his arms about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Just as well, as according to a certain podcaster (who has gone quiet recently) all Weimann does is run around a lot waving his arms about.

It's a bit weird these comments, because when we played him in the wrong position, that is pretty much what he did. Now we are playing him in what he classes as his best position, we are seeing a much better all round player.

1 hour ago, grifty said:

It's a bit weird these comments, because when we played him in the wrong position, that is pretty much what he did. Now we are playing him in what he classes as his best position, we are seeing a much better all round player.

Really !! A large majority of his runs created space for others and he did a lot of donkey work, chasing and harrying. Not his best position on the right side of midfield but our defence looked better with him in front of them. I said in a thread last season (prior to his injury) our midfield was actually stronger with Weimann, Pato and Nagy playing in front of them than they do with the present incumbents.

Edited by Sir Geoff
Added Text
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Yep, absolutely embarrassing statement, betraying a complete lack of knowledge of the game.

”Almost stealing a living” was another gem from the very same person.

When you have a squad with Kasey Palmer also in it yet you make comments about a player who never fails to give his all, plays wherever he’s asked & contributes so much, you do wonder what is going on in their head.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

3rd best in England.

Impressive if correct.

Whilst due credit on here was given for the assist, I did wonder how many would have noticed Andi played a diagonal to Conway from almost the halfway line, yet was still our most forward player when the cross came in.
That just running around a lot can be useful sometimes.

Edited by MJP3

1 minute ago, MJP3 said:

Whilst due credit on here was given for the assist, I did wonder how many would have noticed Andi played a diagonal to Conway from almost the halfway line, yet was still out most forward player when the cross came in.
That just running around a lot can be useful sometimes.

Saw that, absolutely brilliant play (& determination) from him.

We are so lucky to have him, reminds me of Tom Ritchie at his peak, at times.

• Like 3

It's a little bit of a massaged stat, as to get him to the top of the pile you have to exclude those with fewer than 10 goals or have to only look at the top ten scorers in each division.

For example there's a few players in the Champ that have a better Shot/Goal ratio, but have only half a dozen goals. However, there's no doubting that if you're looking for someone who's managing to balance efficiency and quality then Weimann is the man in our division.

Mitrovic has 37 goals, but he's only converting 19% of his shots. Weimann is on 26% conversion. Solanke and Brereton-Diaz on 17% and 19% respectively. So yeh, Weimann is pretty clinical this season.

But Weimann needs to be clinical, because he, and we as a team, take so few ******* shots. Of the four mentioned, Solanke takes an average of 3.6 shots per game, Brereton-Diaz takes just under 3, Mitrovic is on a whopping 4.6...and Weimann languishes on only 1.8 shots per game. Of the top 10 Championship goalscorers, Weimann is the only player to take fewer than 2 shots per game. So if he was converting in line with the other 3 (ie about 18%), he'd be on significantly fewer goals. He'd still be having a good season, but he'd be down on 13 or so rather than the 19 he currently enjoys.

The really critical part though is the conversion of shots on target. In that respect, Weimann is the only man in the division to have scored 11 or more goals whilst maintaining a shot on target conversion rate of more than 50%. Basically, if he hits the target, it's more than likely to go in. He has the beating of the goalies, and no one else, not even Mitrovic, can say that.

A quick look at the Prem shows that only Vardy has 10 goals and a conversion rate of 26%, and Jota is the only one who can claim a shot on target conversion rate of 50% or more.

This is all consistent with the story of our attack over the past 4 years or so. Not many shots, but clinical with the few we take.

This season we have the joint second best conversion rate in the division. We are genuinely dangerous going forward, and don't need to create a ton of chances to score. Weimann personifies this languidly clinical style very well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just to add. One thing we should be mindful of is that the rarity of these kind of finishing stats indicate that Weimann is unlikely to be able to replicate them next season.

His personal history supports this as well, we all know he's having comfortably his best season ever. 

He is probably capable of 10+ goals, but don't bet on another 20 haul in 2022/23.

For that reason alone it may be wise to cash in on him in the summer, if we think we can find those 10 goals somewhere else.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Just to add. One thing we should be mindful of is that the rarity of these kind of finishing stats indicate that Weimann is unlikely to be able to replicate them next season.

His personal history supports this as well, we all know he's having comfortably his best season ever. 

He is probably capable of 10+ goals, but don't bet on another 20 haul in 2022/23.

For that reason alone it may be wise to cash in on him in the summer, if we think we can find those 10 goals somewhere else.

I was thinking along similar lines, chances are he will regress to the mean next season.

But we are unlikely to be able sign somebody better so we need to increase the number of shots we take. And we need goals from around the team.

Of course it would help if we conceded far fewer goals!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Toby pinched Rob @Olétweet from yesterday morning…didn’t even credit him ?

Here's the data, it was prior to yesterday's games. Always happy to help an elite broadcasting team provide insight to an unusually high number of Bristolian proxy IP addresses international audience.

As @ExiledAjaxsays this does have a minimum qualification, in this case being that players had to be in the top 10 scorers in their respective divisions because I had to manually link shots back to lists of top scorers and I'm lazy.  

F4F978B5-C878-4F5B-9BC0-5EAC2018D142.thumb.jpeg.0ebb070c452989c856e21ff6681c866f.jpeg

8562222B-2B5C-4DB3-BCD0-CE82405D2B0B.thumb.jpeg.7b0896d5f8fd6868e91055ab007828c3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I was thinking along similar lines, chances are he will regress to the mean next season.

But we are unlikely to be able sign somebody better so we need to increase the number of shots we take. And we need goals from around the team.

Of course it would help if we conceded far fewer goals!

A delightfully concise summary of our struggles ever since Cotts left and LJ was appointed.

47 minutes ago, Olé said:

As @ExiledAjaxsays this does have a minimum qualification, in this case being that players had to be in the top 10 scorers in their respective divisions because I had to manually link shots back to lists of top scorers and I'm lazy.

Not lazy. I just looked at https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/keepers/Championship-Stats and did some manual analysis. It's interesting to look at Weimann's historical conversion rates. I can see 20/21 it was 15% (but that is a small sample of only 2 goals from 13 shots), 19/20 he was on 12%, and in 18/19 it was 13%, and in 17/18 (at Derby) just 10%. 

So we see there that he's very much "doing a Wells at QPR" this season, ie having the very purplest of purple patches.

image.png.a2db371565ae75c9482af40e250a2379.png

EDIT: Just one thing. Looking more closely I think there might be signs of fundamental improvement in Weimann's game. Note that over this season and his past 3 in which he's played decent minutes (I'll exclude 20/21 as it's too small in comparison), he's been quite relatively consistent in his shots/90 - 1.56, 2.08, 1.95, and 1.83. Bit of a low rate in 17/18, but still within .5 of his highest. Importnatly, this season's figure is solidly near the median figure of 1.89. So he's delivering a sustainable number of shots per game for him.

Look at shots on target/90 though - 0.44, 0.76, 0.57 and this season, 0.88. 0.88 is much higher than the average of those 4 data points - 0.66. So, although Andi hasn't improved the number of shots he takes, he's improved their quality by about a third (@Davefevs do you have xG per shot stuff to back this up?). He's getting about a third more of them on target. That could be down to luck, or it could be down to getting in better positions, receiving better passes, perhaps even an improvement in how he is striking the ball.

So this suggests to me that although yes, he's going through a purple patch, there might be something sustainable about this one aspect of it. Probably not enough on its own to deliver another 20 goal season in 2022/23, but probably enough to make sure he might get nearer 15 than 10.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2