IGNORED

FBC PODCAST: Peterborough [H] reviewed..... are you with the in corwd?

headhunter

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Fair enough but “he ain’t walking away from the £2m balance” is a statement that on two accounts you cannot possibly know to be true, isn’t it?

I doubt very much he is on anywhere near that sum (£1m a year) for starters, so that’s a completely made up figure & whatever your views on Pearson, he has implied this could well be his last managerial job & strikes me very much as the sort who would reach a stage where he went “**** it” and just walked, without giving a hoot about compensation.

I might be wrong there, but then again so might you, so really you’re just guessing, aren’t you?

@GrahamC

I generally try to steer away from stats, and quotes like that. It is conjecture after all.

I think it's difficult when people say things on a live chat, that they sound so definitive about (however much you doubt the actual facts of what they are saying).

I think it's fine to have an opinion, but when you claim that the basis of that opinion is being ITK, or that someone from the club has told you some sensitive information or such like; it kinds of cheapens the point that you are trying to make it my eyes. 

For the record, I know nobody at the club personally  and have never been told anything by anyone connected to the club in confidence.

I may get hearsay, or third hand information from others closer toindividuals at the club; but I would never try to pass them off as definitive or first hand information.

Maybe it's just the job I do, that causes me to question the veracity of such claims.?

• Flames 2

18 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Quite simple really,

If people are honest avoiding relegation was the major (if only) goal for this season - Done 

The squad that remained to start this season was lacking depth,  experience and was unbalanced. Compared to other previous managers there was very limited funds to balance the squad. Players (particularly Fammy) were allowed to run down their contract and leave for nothing.

Despite this crock of shit he inherited, he managed to blood quite a few player's who had previously been loaned out or were still playing U23 football. Not only blood but we now have a brilliant crop of young players we can all get behind and be proud of.

He quickly sorted the wheat from the chaff. Players that didn't train well enough or give even a reasonable amount during games. Palmer will probably never play for us again but Desilva is testament to the fact that the door is never slammed shut.

Listen to some of the players. Wells - wants to remain and mentioned continuing to enjoy working with the manager.

Semenyo- it was stated that NP was the main reason he wanted to stay.

Pring, stated he felt settled here for the first time because NP made him feel part of BCFC.

Many of the young players promoted to the first team stated the positive influence NP had.

Lots of youngsters now have valuable first team experience and will only get better.

The club is, in my honest opinion, in good hands and he must be allowed to continue.

I recently renewed my season ticket and I, for one, will be really pissed off if NP is not the manager come August.

COYR!!!

This is a great post. You've articulated brilliantly the reasons why, although I'm beginning to seriously doubt NP's ability as a tactician, I'm in favour of keeping him for at least another year.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2022 at 13:54, Mendip City said:

Yeah I thought that. They usually earn less than the top players (however nonsensical that seems!!!).  
And I doubt he’s be entitled to more than a year? Surely we write that into contracts??? 

If Pearson is on a performance based contract?  He will be lucky to be taking home the cost of a couple of scratchcards every week?

20 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Quite simple really,

If people are honest avoiding relegation was the major (if only) goal for this season - Done 

The squad that remained to start this season was lacking depth,  experience and was unbalanced. Compared to other previous managers there was very limited funds to balance the squad. Players (particularly Fammy) were allowed to run down their contract and leave for nothing.

Despite this crock of shit he inherited, he managed to blood quite a few player's who had previously been loaned out or were still playing U23 football. Not only blood but we now have a brilliant crop of young players we can all get behind and be proud of.

He quickly sorted the wheat from the chaff. Players that didn't train well enough or give even a reasonable amount during games. Palmer will probably never play for us again but Desilva is testament to the fact that the door is never slammed shut.

Listen to some of the players. Wells - wants to remain and mentioned continuing to enjoy working with the manager.

Semenyo- it was stated that NP was the main reason he wanted to stay.

Pring, stated he felt settled here for the first time because NP made him feel part of BCFC.

Many of the young players promoted to the first team stated the positive influence NP had.

Lots of youngsters now have valuable first team experience and will only get better.

The club is, in my honest opinion, in good hands and he must be allowed to continue.

I recently renewed my season ticket and I, for one, will be really pissed off if NP is not the manager come August.

COYR!!!

Of all the posts on all the threads over the past few days, I think this is the one I most agree with. You sum it up very well.

I won't be getting a season ticket, but I've just bought my ticket for Derby away. Very much looking forward to it as well!

Thank you all for your excellent feedback. 

For anyone that hasn't listened to Nigel's post-match interview with Radio Bristol's Ed Hadwin, the following (transcribed by me) exchange that featured on the Podcast is very candid, and more honest than you'd expect. 

Nigel's answers are in bold.

And that’s one of the problems for us, we can be good against the good sides, and we can be very poor against the poor sides.

So, there you go, that tells you its nothing to do with technicalities, its nothing to do with ability in terms of players, its to do with personalities and probably a bit of collective character at times.

And that’s something that realistically it’s difficult to change, isn’t it?

No, no its not, because I’ll change the players. If they don’t want to change, I’ll change them. Either that, or I’ll get changed, and if that happens then they’ve still got the same problem. The club still has the same problem if they change me and that is they’re going to have to do something about, um the, the um, yeah, the almost at times the passiveness of everybody. It’s a strange club in that regard, so we’ve got a lot of work to do as a club.

And with what you said in the week about investment in the Summer, and not expecting huge wholesale changes does that present a bit of a problem trying to get quite that kind of overhaul?

No, because alright, you know my line on this is players who need to be better, that doesn’t necessarily mean technical, it might mean in other areas, so no it’s not about that, I’m not somebody who moans about stuff like that. So, um, I’m sure they’ll be playing in Division 1 next year, and you know 90 something per cent that we’ll be in the Championship, but we’ve got to make some changes.

So is that in terms of recruitment you’re looking as much for personality as you are for technical ability?

Well, that’s never changed for me, I don’t know whether it’s been like that for the club. Looking at some of the players that we’ve got populating the squad, but it’s always been on my remit.         

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Thank you all for your excellent feedback. 

For anyone that hasn't listened to Nigel's post-match interview with Radio Bristol's Ed Hadwin, the following (transcribed by me) exchange that featured on the Podcast is very candid, and more honest than you'd expect. 

Nigel's answers are in bold.

And that’s one of the problems for us, we can be good against the good sides, and we can be very poor against the poor sides.

So, there you go, that tells you its nothing to do with technicalities, its nothing to do with ability in terms of players, its to do with personalities and probably a bit of collective character at times.

And that’s something that realistically it’s difficult to change, isn’t it?

No, no its not, because I’ll change the players. If they don’t want to change, I’ll change them. Either that, or I’ll get changed, and if that happens then they’ve still got the same problem. The club still has the same problem if they change me and that is they’re going to have to do something about, um the, the um, yeah, the almost at times the passiveness of everybody. It’s a strange club in that regard, so we’ve got a lot of work to do as a club.

And with what you said in the week about investment in the Summer, and not expecting huge wholesale changes does that present a bit of a problem trying to get quite that kind of overhaul?

No, because alright, you know my line on this is players who need to be better, that doesn’t necessarily mean technical, it might mean in other areas, so no it’s not about that, I’m not somebody who moans about stuff like that. So, um, I’m sure they’ll be playing in Division 1 next year, and you know 90 something per cent that we’ll be in the Championship, but we’ve got to make some changes.

So is that in terms of recruitment you’re looking as much for personality as you are for technical ability?

Well, that’s never changed for me, I don’t know whether it’s been like that for the club. Looking at some of the players that we’ve got populating the squad, but it’s always been on my remit.         

When written out like this...is it really so bad? He essentially says that:

1. The players are technically good enough; but

2. He questions the individual personalities; and

3. He thinks sometimes those individual personalities together create poor "collective character"; and

4. This needs to change.

Seeing as he's the one who works with the players day in day out, I'm willing to trust that assessment.

His further comments amount to the fact that if he leaves, the 4 things above will be the same. That's true. And, its a bit odd that the Club is in this situation. That's true.

Basically the "DNA" we so carefully searched for over the past 5 years is, in Pearson's opinion, defective. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

When written out like this...is it really so bad? He essentially says that:

1. The players are technically good enough; but

2. He questions the individual personalities; and

3. He thinks sometimes those individual personalities together create poor "collective character"; and

4. This needs to change.

Seeing as he's the one who works with the players day in day out, I'm willing to trust that assessment.

His further comments amount to the fact that if he leaves, the 4 things above will be the same. That's true. And, its a bit odd that the Club is in this situation. That's true.

Basically the "DNA" we so carefully searched for over the past 5 years is, in Pearson's opinion, defective. 

This was one of a few interviews he did on Saturday. Each kind of overlapping each other, many thanks to @Curr Avon for transcribing.

In this interview, it's the second paragraph for me. When he talks about the passiveness of "EVERYONE" at rhe club; and that it is a strange club.

In my place of work if i spoke about the senior leadership team like that to the press, they would be down on me like a ton of bricks.

He's not wrong about what he says of course, just the manner in which his frustration is coming to the fore. It's definitely confrontational on his part though. NP knows what he is doing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

This was one of a few interviews he did on Saturday. Each kind of overlapping each other, many thanks to @Curr Avon for transcribing.

In this interview, it's the second paragraph for me. When he talks about the passiveness of "EVERYONE" at rhe club; and that it is a strange club.

In my place of work if i spoke about the senior leadership team like that to the press, they would be down on me like a ton of bricks.

He's not wrong about what he says of course, just the manner in which his frustration is coming to the fore. It's definitely confrontational on his part though. NP knows what he is doing.

I think the manager of a football club has a unique locus standi to say that though. If he's spent months saying it to deaf ears in the background, then maybe now he's fed up. He was brought in by the directors - one of whom is the UBO's son - to fix the club. I think if after nearly 15 months he's feeling frustrated then I can see why he might start saying this in public.

It's very different to a junior employee (not saying you are junior!) railing against his line manager.

Yes I think it's a final tactic to try and leverage further change in the club as a whole.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think the manager of a football club has a unique locus standi to say that though. If he's spent months saying it to deaf ears in the background, then maybe now he's fed up. He was brought in by the directors - one of whom is the UBO's son - to fix the club. I think if after nearly 15 months he's feeling frustrated then I can see why he might start saying this in public.

It's very different to a junior employee (not saying you are junior!) railing against his line manager.

Yes I think it's a final tactic to try and leverage further change in the club as a whole.

Completely agree with your points here @ExiledAjax

I just think NP is now calling out the hierarchy, and there will only be one winner.

It's not as if he's slagging off the CEO, he's calling everyone at the club passive and strange including the owner, and the chairman.

Would he be feeling like he needs to do that, if everyone was pulling in the same direction?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

No mention of Josh Owers for the whole show. Perhaps Ian has sold his shares in him. 

What about Cundy?

He usually says we should be giving him a chance, my hunch is after Saturday he’s probably not going so big on that now.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Completely agree with your points here @ExiledAjax

I just think NP is now calling out the hierarchy, and there will only be one winner.

It's not as if he's slagging off the CEO, he's calling everyone at the club passive and strange including the owner, and the chairman.

Would he be feeling like he needs to do that, if everyone was pulling in the same direction?

But which direction should they pull in?

I think we need to consider how weird a football club is as an entity. How do you make a plan when you have a UBO funding the operation, a CEO running it day to day, a Manager acting as the face of the organisation, a 'Chairman' who is the UBO's son doing...something yet to really be defined, plus uniquely loyal customers who may well have your logo tattooed on their skin. Your highest paid employees are also your key saleable assets, and your performance versus your rivals is constantly ranked on a publicly available league table.

Given all that, if you're looking to get a 'plan' that everyone can work towards - well a few egos are going to have to accept that they are going to adhere to someone else's idea. 

My theory is that Pearson was told he'd have pretty free reign and authority to be the guy setting the course, and that the other big players would support financially (Lansdown) and operationally (Gould). He's found that in fact he's been fettered more than he expected, and he feels that this is preventing him from getting the on-pitch results that he is publicly judged by. 

It's a real shame as if you look at successful football clubs both now and through history then whatever method they use for success the common theme is that they have a clear plan, with one person leading it, and it's executed well. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

But which direction should they pull in?

I think we need to consider how weird a football club is as an entity. How do you make a plan when you have a UBO funding the operation, a CEO running it day to day, a Manager acting as the face of the organisation, a 'Chairman' who is the UBO's son doing...something yet to really be defined, plus uniquely loyal customers who may well have your logo tattooed on their skin. Your highest paid employees are also your key saleable assets, and your performance versus your rivals is constantly ranked on a publicly available league table.

Given all that, if you're looking to get a 'plan' that everyone can work towards - well a few egos are going to have to accept that they are going to adhere to someone else's idea. 

My theory is that Pearson was told he'd have pretty free reign and authority to be the guy setting the course, and that the other big players would support financially (Lansdown) and operationally (Gould). He's found that in fact he's been fettered more than he expected, and he feels that this is preventing him from getting the on-pitch results that he is publicly judged by. 

It's a real shame as if you look at successful football clubs both now and through history then whatever method they use for success the common theme is that they have a clear plan, with one person leading it, and it's executed well. 

I think with his comments at the weekend, NP has drawn a line in sand.

In my eyes, it's in the Lansdown's court as to whether they get behind him; or decide that the revolution he is asking for, is too much for the club to support at this time.

I personally see no point in a summer of 3 free transfers; and the only outgoings being not renewing the OOCs. How is that going to take us further forward in any way?

If what is needed is the selling of players like Scott, Semenyeo & HNM in order to reshape the squad; and allow him to get rid of players off the playing budget; then you either regretfully support him, or not as the case may be.

It's only through getting sales into the club, that the current FFP malaise can be resolved. Getting rid of players for fees that don't cover their amortisation; and probably subsidising that move is not going to help the balance sheet; or provide additional funds for the necessary replacements.

You can see NP's stance now that his credibility will be called into question if he's not able to do, what he believes  needs to be done.

He's been pushing the mantra of getting rid of players; and bringing in replacements for the last 14 months in his own unique way. There has to come a point where that either happens or there's a parting of the ways.

Of course if the trio of players with potential sell ons move, then maybe the position is a bit brighter. But we can't base our strategy on that, as it's out of our hands.

Edited by NcnsBcfc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

What about Cundy?

He usually says we should be giving him a chance, my hunch is after Saturday he’s probably not going so big on that now.

Harper was also being touted , along with Towler and when he was played and exposed it was bad management as he wasn’t ready!!

• Haha 3

Personally I think Pearson was getting at two slightly different points. 

1 People calling for him to be fired is all very well but the underlying problem does not shift. 

2 The club is passive. Certainly there are some players that are more passive than others, but the nice little Bristol City mantra is alive and kicking throughout the club and most of its supporters. Particularly at home games. 

The people that are calling for Pearson to be fired tend to be on OTIB with the occasional bi-polar rants on podcasts and Twentyman. 

We still need to find competitors not only in the first team squad but in the club, we are just not fired up enough as fans, players and as staff. (Much much better at away games) That’s been pretty much they way it’s been for close to 40 years, but made worse by the Ashton era! 

Apparently it was all about the right DNA, but as someone implied the DNA we brought in was as defective as the DNA which ran through the club already, or just got assimilated into it. 

I am very solidly behind Pearson as he’s come out and he’s said what I’ve thought for years. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Personally I think Pearson was getting at two slightly different points. 

1 People calling for him to be fired is all very well but the underlying problem does not shift. 

2 The club is passive. Certainly there are some players that are more passive than others, but the nice little Bristol City mantra is alive and kicking throughout the club and most of its supporters. Particularly at home games. 

The people that are calling for Pearson to be fired tend to be on OTIB with the occasional bi-polar rants on podcasts and Twentyman. 

We still need to find competitors not only in the first team squad but in the club, we are just not fired up enough as fans, players and as staff. (Much much better at away games) That’s been pretty much they way it’s been for close to 40 years, but made worse by the Ashton era! 

Apparently it was all about the right DNA, but as someone implied the DNA we brought in was as defective as the DNA which ran through the club already, or just got assimilated into it. 

I am very solidly behind Pearson as he’s come out and he’s said what I’ve thought for years. 

To summarise, we need some bastards!

• Like 1