IGNORED

Warburtons Toast

Silvio Dante

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Feel sorry for Warburton.  They've had a decent end to the season and I think he deserved butter....

They had progressed well, 13th - 9th, then started the season well (after finishing last year well) . That's fans for you, a lot of short term and deluded thinking. Many of their fans felt they should be in the Playoffs, TBF I had them nailed on PO spot at the start. It's not that straight forward though. Not sure who comes in now, if my QPR mate is down tomorrow no doubt it will come up, will be interesting though.

15 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

1) Define a proper achievement and why. Surely silverware is a proper achievement….

2) Why should Johnson not claim credit for developing a  Player under his watch and increasing his value? 

What I meant was, I don’t think a club of QPR’s stature would hire a manager/head coach whose only ‘achievement’ in a seven year managerial career is a triumph in a very minor cup competition with a club the size of Sunderland. 

QPR’s owner and board would probably expect Sunderland to win a trophy only open to teams in div 3 and div 4 (and a few ‘age group’ teams from higher clubs) rather than be impressed by their win. And they will be acutely aware that all of QPR’s extremely close neighbours (Chelsea, Brentford and Fulham) are light years ahead of them at the moment - I think QPR will be looking for a manager who can demonstrate success at their level rather than a relatively meaningless victory in a very minor cup competition. 

And just to elaborate on that last point a bit - yes, I was present at all of our appearances in the final of the same competition but I very much saw them all as a good day out and I wasn’t really bothered when we lost - some City fans in front of me were in tears at the final whistle when we lost to Stoke City at Wembley - and they were not youngsters - I couldn’t believe it. I’ve also found it a bit cringeworthy when people talk of our ‘double winning season’ under Cotts - yes it’s always nice to win a trophy but I’ve never counted winning the Football League Trophy as being a major achievement - to me, winning the league one title meant much, much, much more - that was a proper trophy and I’ll never forget Cotts and that squad bringing home our first major trophy for 60 years (yes, I know we won the Anglo Scottish Cup in 1978!).

And to address your second point - of course LJ should take credit for making a profit on a player - but your original reply to me indicated that you thought developing a player, and selling them on for more money than they cost, was somehow a modern phenomenon - yet we’ve been doing that for decades.

Anyway, happy Friday to you and hope you have a cool weekend, cheers ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 2

Warburton has been at QPR for 3 years and Mowbray at Blackburn for 5. That’s a long time for owners who want to win something, but haven’t. It’s a ruthless world for football mangers, so they expect to get the sack on a regular basis. 

Was just thinking. It’s actually highly unusual for a manager to actually see out the length of his contract. They either get sacked, poached or extended. Don’t think I’ve seen it very much before where they just see out the length of contract and then leave. Unlike players. Must rarely happen with managers. For 2 in the same division (and at the top end of that division for that matter) to suddenly occur is somewhat unusual. 

Just now, Harry said:

Was just thinking. It’s actually highly unusual for a manager to actually see out the length of his contract. They either get sacked, poached or extended. Don’t think I’ve seen it very much before where they just see out the length of contract and then leave. Unlike players. Must rarely happen with managers. For 2 in the same division (and at the top end of that division for that matter) to suddenly occur is somewhat unusual. 

Both are excellent champiomship managers. Generally teams habe a 3/4 year cycle and if they don't make it then you have to start again.

On 28/04/2022 at 13:20, GrahamC said:

Think he’s a decent manager who has done a good job, but their slide down the league seems to have cost him.

Wouldn’t be shocked if the same thing happens to Mowbray, another good manager.

Mowbray also said he’s not been offered anything yet

edit realise I’ve been beaten to this a few times!

Edited by MarcusX