IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

FWIW, I think Nige would be given a fair chunk to spend, and I fully believe we have targets lined up. 

We need to invest where possible, and perhaps this is what Nige has been anticipating.

Keeping both Scott and Semenyo would be fantastic, but if asked at the start of the transfer window, I would have expected at least one to depart. If we can retain Scott, then I'm happy. 

This would be the first opportunity that Nige has had decent funds available to improve the squad, so I would be interested to see what moves we would make. 

10 minutes ago, tin said:

To sell for £12m would amount to giving him away on the cheap IMO. He’s an integral first-team player, just look at how pedestrian we are without his pace and power. What Palace paid for Eze should be the minimum we’re after. 

I agree. Any purchase of a potential lead goal scorer by any Prem club should be a minimum of 30% of their TV income. Clogging defenders are one thing but those who turn games on their own are invaluable.

Sadly, i'm starting to think we may have to trade before the window closes and Semenyo and Scott are the only 2 players we have that will command a decent fee.

If that allows Nige to bring in a few quality replacements (loan or permanent) and also gives us some space with FFP then it's a win win.

I really like Antoine and he makes such a difference to us, but he does seem to pick up injuries regularly which is a worry.

• Hmmm 1

5 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I think this one has legs. 

Palace are rumoured to have been monitoring Semenyo for some time. It seems realistic that they would now make their move. 

I don't want to see it happen, but accept that him leaving for a prem club is too good to turn down. 

Palace would be the perfect move for him (and potentially us in regards to a sell on %). 

Any money received needs to be reinvested (where possible) to bulk up this squad. We are too thin on numbers in key areas. 

A Semenyo replacement, A centre midfielder and a centre back are priorities. 

Could be a blessing in the disguise.

• Hmmm 2

19 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Could be a blessing in the disguise.

I certainly don't want him to leave. 

But am realistic enough to see that he probably won't be here beyond next year anyway. 

If we were to recoup a decent fee for him, then it could lead to 2-3 key positions being strengthened.

Something we won't be able to do without a sale. 

Our front line is still scoring goals, our defence needs sorting out. This could allow us to do that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

As always, a large part of this will be the player himself.

If his head has been turned by what Palace have told his agent they are prepared to pay him, he will be off.

And the chance to play at the highest level. Back in London. All counts.

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

We've already heard from the club that we wouldn't stop a move to the Prem so Palace could make this happen if they want. There's no way Antoine would stay with an opportunity like that. 

There’s also a difference between not stopping a move to the Prem and having your pants pulled down. Antoine is a valuable asset to the club and won’t be sold for peanuts. 

Part of me thinks 12m is too low. Then again another part of me thinks this is his last season here probably. Also he is a bit injury prone isn’t he. I think those are small factors which take his price down a bit. I’d be hoping for 15m really but is 12m now better than 8m next? Genuinely don’t know. 

How does it work for ffp? Does that 12m get smacked into accounts this season? Or does is split up? Does is matter if Palace give us 12m straight away or if they pay us a set amount for a few years? 

My opinion only. No info from anywhere else.

If we have to sell one player to recruit a couple or three others this is my preference at this moment in time. I'm also assuming that if the playing staff remains as it is now, we are not going to incur FFP penalties.

Semenyo or Scott to go?

Semenyo creates havoc in defences with his pace and strength with ten goals last season and the assists for Weimann and Martin. Only drawback is that he appears to be a bit injury prone - not a one or two match item but more like 2 to 4 months. Also with two years left on contract, he is now at maximum sale value.

Scott for his age is very good. At present my guess his transfer value may be similar or lower than Semenyo. His value to the team, IMO, at this moment is less than Semenyo.

To replace Semenyo and Martin, who I see as on a sharp downward trend at this level, will cost us plenty.

To replace Scott now will cost less than the strikers. However, keep him another year or two and his transfer value could be so great that it is difficult for us imagine how many noughts will come after £5 or £10.

Or look at more simply. Which will help us more to stay up this season? Go down to League One and we'll get peanuts for either/both!

So sell Scott now and Semenyo next summer. IMO, best way to safeguard our place in Championship and to grow as a club that wants promotion. Pearson's three years to do it is going to be at least four years because we were so broken when he arrived.

Edited by cidered abroad

People saying he's injury prone, but since he's come into the first team as a regular, one of the first names on the teamsheet type of player, his style of play is going cause a few injuries.

Wouldn't say he was injury prone.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Have a horrible feeling this is going to happen. We need to hope for a bidding war

I believe we will get interest from a few clubs that could cause the fee to rise. 

Palace, Brentford and Southampton all seem to be realistic destinations, and have a need for a player like Semenyo. 

At palace it's clear that they lack options up top following the sale of Benteke. 

Semenyo would suit Brentford's style of play perfectly, and would challenge Mbeumo and cover Toney. 

Southampton lack quality up front. Che Adams has been linked to Prem clubs this summer, whereas Adam Armstrong hasn't hit the heights he once did at Blackburn.

I reckon the fee could end up being close to £14m + add on's eventually. 

9 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I believe we will get interest from a few clubs that could cause the fee to rise. 

Palace, Brentford and Southampton all seem to be realistic destinations, and have a need for a player like Semenyo. 

At palace it's clear that they lack options up top following the sale of Benteke. 

Semenyo would suit Brentford's style of play perfectly, and would challenge Mbeumo and cover Toney. 

Southampton lack quality up front. Che Adams has been linked to Prem clubs this summer, whereas Adam Armstrong hasn't hit the heights he once did at Blackburn.

I reckon the fee could end up being close to £14m + add on's eventually. 

I think Adam Armstrong has done okay. He hasn't nailed a starting place but he's contributed a few times, most recently on the weekend where he created the first goal in their comeback v Leeds. He gives them a useful option and a few Prem clubs might be happy to have Semenyo as an option in the squad as you say, even at £10m +.

If he did go it would be interesting to see which lower league striker we could bring in. I always thought it was a shame we didn't sign Yates when we were linked to him.

Edited by mozo

There was a thread recently, asking why a city the size of Bristol doesn't have a top flight team.

Sadly, this is why.

So many people "prepared" to sell, or resigned to selling Semenyo and/or Scott, when in reality, if we ever are going to have a shot at the prem, we need to be building around players like this.

I know people will come back to this to say "£38 mill loss" "FFP" "Points deduction", but that's right now - what's the excuse for the past decades?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Im s**tting it not going to lie. 

If we get 15, how much becomes available? 

Need at least 5 of that to buy a decent striker, i fear that lansdown will just put that in his back pocket.

What a very silly post, just absolutely daft on a monumental scale.

Any money which comes in is not going into anyone's back pocket.

We have a club which makes huge losses, we are in fear of FFP breaches, SL has been funding a loss making business for years whilst investing huge sums in the infrastructure.

You clearly demonstrate a total ignorance of what is going on at this club.

• Like 10
  • Flames 2

Just now, ooRya said:

Sadly, this is why.

All teams sell their best players. I can only think of few exceptions (Messi?).

It's investing the money well, that's our problem.

Selling Flint, buying Webster. Now that is the kind of business we should be doing.

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

What a very silly post, just absolutely daft on a monumental scale.

Any money which comes in is not going into anyone's back pocket.

We have a club which makes huge losses, we are in fear of FFP breaches, SL has been funding a loss making business for years whilst investing huge sums in the infrastructure.

You clearly demonstrate a total ignorance of what is going on at this club.

Jesus. Calm down pal

Due to the current financial situation I was just questioning how much of the money would be spent on improving the squad and what percentage Lansdown would take out of it.

Not a daft post at all, just raising an opinion.

20 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

FWIW, I think Nige would be given a fair chunk to spend, and I fully believe we have targets lined up. 

We need to invest where possible, and perhaps this is what Nige has been anticipating.

Keeping both Scott and Semenyo would be fantastic, but if asked at the start of the transfer window, I would have expected at least one to depart. If we can retain Scott, then I'm happy. 

This would be the first opportunity that Nige has had decent funds available to improve the squad, so I would be interested to see what moves we would make. 

If we got 12 million nige would get 2 mil max, as we have ffp to contend with,

And it looks like we may have a ready made replacement in Conway 

9 minutes ago, ooRya said:

There was a thread recently, asking why a city the size of Bristol doesn't have a top flight team.

Sadly, this is why.

So many people "prepared" to sell, or resigned to selling Semenyo and/or Scott, when in reality, if we ever are going to have a shot at the prem, we need to be building around players like this.

I know people will come back to this to say "£38 mill loss" "FFP" "Points deduction", but that's right now - what's the excuse for the past decades?

The ‘excuse’ as you call it is very simple and has been explained by myself and others many,many times.

When a club playing in a higher league expresses an interest in a player with the associated massive increase in salary, it becomes impossible to hold on to said player as they will want to move.

Ultimately, they are professional sportsmen who wish to maximize their income and test themselves at the highest level they can.

It is a simple as that. People need to remember that most of the pro players that turn out on a Saturday are not supporters of that team , they are simply doing their job.

• Like 2