IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Have a horrible feeling this is going to happen. We need to hope for a bidding war

Me too & Conway starting at Wigan was maybe not only a reward for his 2 goals but contingency planning.

If the fee gets to where we accept then the biggest 2 questions are how much of it does Pearson get to invest & where does he sees his priorities.

Semenyo going makes absolutely no dent whatsoever in our current wage bill (in this respect it is very similar to when Bobby Reid left) but I cannot see it funding all of another defender (NP’s stated priority), a holding midfielder & his replacement.

Though on that last point with Weimann (at present!), Conway & Wells all on our books I’d argue we need an alternative to Martin more.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

The ‘excuse’ as you call it is very simple and has been explained by myself and others many,many times.

When a club playing in a higher league expresses an interest in a player with the associated massive increase in salary, it becomes impossible to hold on to said player as they will want to move.

Ultimately, they are professional sportsmen who wish to maximize their income and test themselves at the highest level they can.

It is a simple as that. People need to remember that most of the pro players that turn out on a Saturday are not supporters of that team , they are simply doing their job.

Like I said, this is why a city the size of Bristol doesn't have a top flight team. Too many people accept things too easily.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ooRya said:

There was a thread recently, asking why a city the size of Bristol doesn't have a top flight team.

Sadly, this is why.

So many people "prepared" to sell, or resigned to selling Semenyo and/or Scott, when in reality, if we ever are going to have a shot at the prem, we need to be building around players like this.

I know people will come back to this to say "£38 mill loss" "FFP" "Points deduction", but that's right now - what's the excuse for the past decades?

Brentford have done ok out of buying and selling, and buying some more. It's not what you do (most clubs are doing broadly the same thing) it’s the way that you do it. And that's what gets results.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Like I said, this is why a city the size of Bristol doesn't have a top flight team. Too many people accept things too easily.

And some people seem incapable of accepting simple facts.

One last time - if a player wants to leave for a hell of a lot more salary and the prospect of higher level football, then he will leave. and all the club can do is get as much money as possible for the player.

Webster, Reid, Bryan are excellent examples.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Brentford have done ok out of buying and selling, and buying some more. It's not what you do (most clubs are doing broadly the same thing) it’s the way that you do it. And that's what gets results.

Absolutely. Brentford have sold Watkins, Maupay, Benramhma, Gray, Hogan.

But they've successfully replaced them each time. 

City size means nothing, it's all about infrastructure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Part of me thinks 12m is too low. Then again another part of me thinks this is his last season here probably. Also he is a bit injury prone isn’t he. I think those are small factors which take his price down a bit. I’d be hoping for 15m really but is 12m now better than 8m next? Genuinely don’t know. 

How does it work for ffp? Does that 12m get smacked into accounts this season? Or does is split up? Does is matter if Palace give us 12m straight away or if they pay us a set amount for a few years? 

Simple answer:

Yes, £12m added to the transfer profit (fee (£12m) minus current asset value (£0 - Academy)), and therefore reduces any losses this season / increases profits (hahahaha) this season..and therefore helps towards this FFP cycle.

Whatever fee is agreed, whether that be all up-front or stage payment…goes into this year’s accounts….it’s a sale of an asset.

Add-ons are different, but if / when they are received, go into the accounts the year they are received.  No accounting is done on a prediction basis.

Hope that explains it.

32 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

If we got 12 million nige would get 2 mil max, as we have ffp to contend with,

And it looks like we may have a ready made replacement in Conway 

I wrote a post earlier saying that it doesn’t really work like that.

We aren’t £10m+ outside of the FFP limit…and when paying a fee the cost of that fee is spread over the contract length.  If I ignore wages we could buy four £5m players on 4 year deals, and it only cost us £5m (4 x £1.25m) this year.

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

Absolutely. Brentford have sold Watkins, Maupay, Benramhma, Gray, Hogan.

But they've successfully replaced them each time. 

City size means nothing, it's all about infrastructure. 

They successfully replaced them before they left = succession planning!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks as though Palace are thinking about making a 12 million bid for Antoine. I think with the need to strengthen in other areas and the likes of Conway coming through would be hard for City to reject it. I personally can’t see him staying beyond this season regardless of where City finish so I think would make sense to cash in. 

40 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

If we got 12 million nige would get 2 mil max, as we have ffp to contend with,

And it looks like we may have a ready made replacement in Conway 

We really haven't. Conway is decent but he is nowhere near the level of Semenyo. If he goes we certainly need to bring somebody in even if it's on loan.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Simple answer:

Yes, £12m added to the transfer profit (fee (£12m) minus current asset value (£0 - Academy)), and therefore reduces any losses this season / increases profits (hahahaha) this season..and therefore helps towards this FFP cycle.

Whatever fee is agreed, whether that be all up-front or stage payment…goes into this year’s accounts….it’s a sale of an asset.

Add-ons are different, but if / when they are received, go into the accounts the year they are received.  No accounting is done on a prediction basis.

Hope that explains it.

I wrote a post earlier saying that it doesn’t really work like that.

We aren’t £10m+ outside of the FFP limit…and when paying a fee the cost of that fee is spread over the contract length.  If I ignore wages we could buy four £5m players on 4 year deals, and it only cost us £5m (4 x £1.25m) this year.

They successfully replaced them before they left = succession planning!!!

When you read what is happening at Barcelona and how much we are battling to stay in the boundaries of FFP it seems farcical.

1 hour ago, OliOTIB said:

Jesus. Calm down pal

Due to the current financial situation I was just questioning how much of the money would be spent on improving the squad and what percentage Lansdown would take out of it.

Not a daft post at all, just raising an opinion.

Probably be the next owner after SL that takes more than gives. If anyone takes us off his hands, that is

25 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I agree and that is where we have failed. Pre-covid we had some decent money come in and SwissTony and LJ wasted it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OliOTIB said:

Im s**tting it not going to lie. 

If we get 15, how much becomes available? 

Need at least 5 of that to buy a decent striker, i fear that lansdown will just put that in his back pocket.

He's taken a lot more than that out of his back pocket on many occasions. I think he would come to the party to boost the squad if AS was to be sold this window, but that's only my opinion :thumbsup:.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matty C said:

Bournemouth Echo reporting that they are interested in Antoine.....He could move in with Lloyd Kelly down there https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/20656890.afc-bournemouth-reportedly-keen-bristol-city-forward-antoine-semenyo/

Shame that Bournemouth won't offer him a wage that will allow him to have his own place  :whistle:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Matty C said:

Bournemouth Echo reporting that they are interested in Antoine.....He could move in with Lloyd Kelly down there https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/20656890.afc-bournemouth-reportedly-keen-bristol-city-forward-antoine-semenyo/

Not meaning to take the piss out of Bournemouth but I'd be disappointed if he moved to a club where he was likely to end up playing Championship football again in a year's time. 

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Not meaning to take the piss out of Bournemouth but I'd be disappointed if he moved to a club where he was likely to end up playing Championship football again in a year's time. 

Idk get a year of experience in the prem. Then get a confidence season in championship and most likely go back up and be ready for a big season in the premier league. Has to stay fit for all of that to be a positive but looks like it has done a world of good for Solanke and even Mitrovic if only the second time around