IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I don’t think it’s a question of ‘sleepwalking ‘ as you put it but how do you force a player to sign a contract if he doesn’t want to. 
We are aware that Massengo has a contract offer on the table since January, at least. 
We have had a change of personnel so  we can’t blame Gould for previous disappointments. 
Players leaving on a ‘ free’ is not restricted to our club. I believe that the transfer market is changing as more players realise that they can get better deals if they see their contracts out. This could, and has, effected the recruitment policies for many clubs who now won’t or can’t pay a transfer fee as they will lose money at the end of the contract. 
We will have to get used to players fulfilling their contracts and moving on. It is foolish to sign a player on a 3 year deal , for example, and then not use him for the third year because he won’t renew. 

My gut feel is that if we take a senior Championship player coming to the end of his contract, he’s likely to have to take a wage cut to get a new deal, ie his existing contract was signed in boom-time. If we take Weimann and Baker as good examples.  The market hasn’t recovered on fees or wages.  Players expecting better contracts are likely to face disappointment.

Its different for a young player admittedly whose current contract will be lower value anyway.

Re Massengo, my gut feel is that he was given a huge wage for an 18 year old and whereas normally you’d expect to get a wage increase at 21 with 100 apps under your belt, the market has receded, so our offer is very different to his expected wage trajectory from 3 years ago.

It is why we can’t afford to sign players in the 25-29 age bracket.  They are still expecting boom-time contracts.  We can’t afford them!

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Pretty sure they can both play on either wing.

Sarr has played on the left 38 times in his career. Only done so 3 times for Watford. 

Before that, the last time he played as a left winger was in 2018/19 season (6 times). 

But I can see the logic as a Zaha replacement. Could be that Sarr gets brought in to play as the right winger, and they play the likes of Ayew (62 times) out wide left. 

1 minute ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Sarr has played on the left 38 times in his career. Only done so 3 times for Watford. 

Before that, the last time he played as a left winger was in 2018/19 season (6 times). 

But I can see the logic as a Zaha replacement. Could be that Sarr gets brought in to play as the right winger, and they play the likes of Ayew (62 times) out wide left. 

Might just be wishful thinking on my part so we can keep Semenyo ?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

My gut feel is that if we take a senior Championship player coming to the end of his contract, he’s likely to have to take a wage cut to get a new deal, ie his existing contract was signed in boom-time. If we take Weimann and Baker as good examples.  The market hasn’t recovered on fees or wages.  Players expecting better contracts are likely to face disappointment.

Its different for a young player admittedly whose current contract will be lower value anyway.

Re Massengo, my gut feel is that he was given a huge wage for an 18 year old and whereas normally you’d expect to get a wage increase at 21 with 100 apps under your belt, the market has receded, so our offer is very different to his expected wage trajectory from 3 years ago.

It is why we can’t afford to sign players in the 25-29 age bracket.  They are still expecting boom-time contracts.  We can’t afford them!

I am not so sure on Massengo’s huge wage , at the time of his transfer he was asked ‘ Why Bristol City? ( of all clubs- I added this bit) and he replied that it wasn’t for the money but the playing time that attracted him. 
His words , 

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Zaha is a big Arsenal fan, dream move for him.

Can't see that happening. They just bought Zinchenko who operates on the left. And they've just offloaded one winger that won't cover back. Why would they then sign another. 

Can see him going to Chelsea as they are collecting lots of clubs for the bag.

• Hmmm 1

28 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Can't see that happening. They just bought Zinchenko who operates on the left. And they've just offloaded one winger that won't cover back. Why would they then sign another. 

Can see him going to Chelsea as they are collecting lots of clubs for the bag.

Zinchenko has been bought in to compete with Tierney.

1 minute ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Pearson says 30 million or no sale. Obviously highballing a little, but they will have to offer serious money to tempt us and it will have to be early enough for us to find a replacement. My gut feeling is nothing happens. 

As NP says the window has been open all freaking summer, billows to last minute bids. 

14 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Pearson says 30 million or no sale. Obviously highballing a little, but they will have to offer serious money to tempt us and it will have to be early enough for us to find a replacement. My gut feeling is nothing happens. 

He will be gone for between 12-15 million and not upfront similar to Kodjia fee that Villa paid in instalment’s 

He has 2 years left only other scenario where we get a bigger fee is he stays and we gamble that we will be in the promotion mix come the end of January in that scenario he is worth 30m to us.

But we are in no position to gamble financially so we will take what we are given.

If we get £20m I will be shocked, even £17-18m would supprise me

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I am not so sure on Massengo’s huge wage , at the time of his transfer he was asked ‘ Why Bristol City? ( of all clubs- I added this bit) and he replied that it wasn’t for the money but the playing time that attracted him. 
His words , 

If we're going to take Massengo at his word then it begs the question why isn't he signing a contract?

56 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

Im lookung at this as a win win whatever happens. If we sell high we get a good chunk to reinvest and i trust pearson to use the money well but if we don't AS doesnt seem to be the type of character to sulk and we will have a top top striker for the season

I really hope we do have Semenyo for another season, but next summer our most valuable asset will start sharply declining in value. If we don't sell by the end of the January window we desperately need a contract extension. 

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Also rumoured to be looking at Chong again too. Are Birmingham not in a similar financial situation to ourselves.

Some of their fans on Twitter seem to think they are set to fail FFP again, I'm not so certain- their problems feel more likely IMO to arise to 2023-24 under the current loss limits.

PPS, also loaned or loaning young LB from Man Utd.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Interested to see how he does at championship level. I think he's a very good player. 

I’m not sure about him…as I’ve said before…but it’s not an exact science is it. Some players fit well with better players, etc, etc. if this goes through will be interesting to see how he does.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not sure about him…as I’ve said before…but it’s not an exact science is it. Some players fit well with better players, etc, etc. if this goes through will be interesting to see how he does.

I don't think Birmingham is the right club to get the best out of him. 

However, it does look as though they are buying a younger squad this summer, so things may change. 

On 29/08/2022 at 10:40, mozo said:

Well I presume that Diedhiou, Wells and Massengo being on good pay is what made it too hard to move them on. 

The question is, could we have been more proactive in managing the situation? Could we have drawn a line in the sand before that last 12 months?

Well I would have offloaded Diedhiou after 12/18 months personally

17 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Well I would have offloaded Diedhiou after 12/18 months personally

Allegedly City knew in the summer of 2019 (halfway through his 4 years) that he was never gonna sign an extension, but nobody was interested at the fee we wanted or the wages Fam wanted.

In some respects, we wanted too much for him, and had made it harder by offering him too high a wage initially.

Over the next 12-18 months the club decided that “we’d get our value on the pitch”.  We didn’t.  It cost us his wages and amortisation for the that final period.

I’m not saying we’ve cracked it under RG, but there seems to be a better appreciation of a player who isn’t playing that it’s better to get something (Palmer - saved his wages) than nothing.

At some point we will see a squad of:

• Nige signings, e.g. Naismith, Atkinson, Wilson, etc
  • Academy players, e.g. Conway, Scott, Smith
  • players signed previously but re-contracted / properly extended by Nige, e.g. Weimann, Baker (are the only 2….so far) - I don’t include Martin as his extension was on his terms not club

we aren’t there yet, hence still stung by the previous regime’s “legacy”.  We will know much more when Kalas, Bentley, Dasilva, Massengo, Williams (2024) and Wells contract situations are solidified one way or another.

Nige will make mistakes in recruitment, e.g. Simpson, but hopefully they are low-value mistakes.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Allegedly City knew in the summer of 2019 (halfway through his 4 years) that he was never gonna sign an extension, but nobody was interested at the fee we wanted or the wages Fam wanted.

In some respects, we wanted too much for him, and had made it harder by offering him too high a wage initially.

Over the next 12-18 months the club decided that “we’d get our value on the pitch”.  We didn’t.  It cost us his wages and amortisation for the that final period.

I’m not saying we’ve cracked it under RG, but there seems to be a better appreciation of a player who isn’t playing that it’s better to get something (Palmer - saved his wages) than nothing.

At some point we will see a squad of:

• Nige signings, e.g. Naismith, Atkinson, Wilson, etc
  • Academy players, e.g. Conway, Scott, Smith
  • players signed previously but re-contracted / properly extended by Nige, e.g. Weimann, Baker (are the only 2….so far) - I don’t include Martin as his extension was on his terms not club

we aren’t there yet, hence still stung by the previous regime’s “legacy”.  We will know much more when Kalas, Bentley, Dasilva, Massengo, Williams (2024) and Wells contract situations are solidified one way or another.

Nige will make mistakes in recruitment, e.g. Simpson, but hopefully they are low-value mistakes.

I’d have happily got rid at a loss Dave !

Good post btw :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some of their fans on Twitter seem to think they are set to fail FFP again, I'm not so certain- their problems feel more likely IMO to arise to 2023-24 under the current loss limits.

PPS, also loaned or loaning young LB from Man Utd.

I am sure I am wrong but it seems sometimes like we are the only club worried about FFP.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I am sure I am wrong but it seems sometimes like we are the only club worried about FFP.

Well we've seen the consequences for clubs at our level disregarding it and I fear that as it stands atm we're set to breach this season albeit not a big one.

I actually believe that we are under some kind of monitoring requirements in line with a forecast breach hence the current inability to sign (Bamba on a free maybe an example of an acceptable deal).

Fairly sure we can't even afford a loan deal on regular terms from a PL club as of now though, that's the hole we are in.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous