IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He stayed, was retained as IMO was always likely.

January is another matter, post WC splurges on breakout stars are usually in the summer. This is a year like no other, but until then let's enjoy him and his talents. If he scores or is bright at the WC that'll increase both his exposure and his value.

January is January, let's just enjoy the excellent young talent he is right now.

9 hours ago, Mihai said:

Do we have a chance to keep him all season ? If we go up do we have a chance to keep him next season ? 

May this season be the "one" ? That season when we go up despite no chances at the start ? Many teams did that with worse players than us today...Hull City in 2008, and Barsnley in playoff, Luton in playoffs..I mean the league is unpredictable. If we keep the good spirit, I may sound crazy but we can make it somehow. Some luck...some nice form and keeping the best players. This winter will be huge if we will be top 6.  

Semenyo will go 20+ for sure, I am sure wells will be 10 goals at least. We have one of the good attacking side in this League. With Kalas comming back and Atkinson growing same as Naismith with his crazy pases...we have a decent team.

Hope we can keep Semenyo and sell him for 30+ ...that will fix our financial aspects and make us build a better team next season.

January could be really interesting , we certainly have the fire power to beat any team in the league. It’s a big if but if we’re in contention for the top six come the January will the club gamble and reject any bid for our players with the promise of if we don’t go up free to go in the summer for a set price. You can imagine the attraction of potentially being involved in a promotion may be tempting for players to stay for 4 / 5 months longer? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Don’t forget Herbie Gillam!

Ah yes, Herbie of RB and WDP fame. That used to be a great paper. Haven't even looked at one for years until last Thursday (after the Wycombe game) I  was in Tesco's and picked one up to see what they said about the match.  It was so thin (like the local freebies you get) and they didn't even have a report on the game ! God knows what time they "put it to bed" ?  Absulute rubbish !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

That used to be a great paper. Haven't even looked at one for years until last Thursday (after the Wycombe game) I  was in Tesco's and picked one up to see what they said about the match.  It was so thin (like the local freebies you get) and they didn't even have a report on the game !

This is the masthead in the earliest WDP in the newspaper archive. Only 4 pages and no mention of City.

wdp.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Ah yes, Herbie of RB and WDP fame. That used to be a great paper. Haven't even looked at one for years until last Thursday (after the Wycombe game) I  was in Tesco's and picked one up to see what they said about the match.  It was so thin (like the local freebies you get) and they didn't even have a report on the game ! God knows what time they "put it to bed" ?  Absulute rubbish !

They do a free version for the Sags at the Memorial Swamp Encampment pre match

Its done, in a traditional teepee method ,  by smoke signals 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

The last "20 goaler" was Peter Godsiff !

Well said. Peter was a proper writer journalist, articulate and erudite. Can you imagine one of his headlines, such as this one (after Big John had come back into form following a goal drought) appearing now in the Post?

"ATYEO ANSWERS HIS CRITICS!"

I could go on but I'm pleased you remember Godsiff.........................................

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bodiesaffer said:

He could be watching anyone of 5 players from both sides.  

Ir he wasn't actually there and it's Alan nixon trying to save face as he got another bristol city transfer wrong,

Nixon knows nothing now, the whole Derby thing exposed him 

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Ir he wasn't actually there and it's Alan nixon trying to save face as he got another bristol city transfer wrong,

In fairness I think he did know about Derby, but he stupidly believed the stuff being fed to him either by Kirchner direct or via Stretford.  Kieran Maguire had Kirchner sussed, basically a blagger.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I'm unconvinced, seems to have a reasonable hit rate with clubs in the North, FFP wise too seems to have various sources given the info that he's put into the public domain about varied clubs.

While we're not a Northern club, we were at Blackburn who are so wouldn't surprise me too much if he's right on this.

On 04/09/2022 at 23:05, OliOTIB said:

Apparently Dougie Freedman (palace) was at Ewood on Saturday watching Antoine. 

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/crystal-palace-news/crystal-palace-dougie-freedman-watches-antoine-semenyo/

Good, because Antonine had a bit of a stinker when he came on so hopefully thats the end of their interest!

17 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Alex will should be our record sale, and will would blow Kelly out of the water 

Corrected it.

Depends on how good our negotiators are, when he's sold (time left in contract, ala HNM situation), and the financial climate in football at that time.

No guarantees anymore unfortunately.  Feel like there's a shift in power of selling clubs holding the best cards to dictate the price.

23 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

For a small agency he could be the player that puts them into the big time - they`re going to work hard for him I reckon.

A surprise to “drop” Tony Finnegan though…not that he had a big client list besides Solly March and Uncle Albert though.

As I see it, either looking to sign the contract that club have been discussing for a while and get a payday from that, or looking for a January transfer and the payday that will bring.  But if neither happens then there’s not much skin in the game until summer 2024.  Unless there’s some adhoc stuff like sponsorship from Ghana / WC.