IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

Just now, petehinton said:

Very very rarely works like that these days. Clubs will offer wages/package to the representative, representative will tell player, player says yes/no, and from there the club will submit a bid. Is quite rare these days that it’s bid - bid accepted - terms as a flow, even less so with it being a surprise to the player, ala Pack to Cardiff for example 

@Davefevs was fastest finger, soz!

Yours is a better response though.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Very very rarely works like that these days. Clubs will offer wages/package to the representative, representative will tell player, player says yes/no, and from there the club will submit a bid. Is quite rare these days that it’s bid - bid accepted - terms as a flow, even less so with it being a surprise to the player, ala Pack to Cardiff for example 

@Davefevs was fastest finger, soz!

I get there are ways of letting the player know what sort of terms you're offering as a buying club - via the agent, nothing official that could be deemed as "tapping up"

But if it's a player we don't want to sell at all or, in Semenyo's case, one for whom we appear to have a clear fee in mind and which the buying club are not prepared to meet, why would we allow the player to discuss personal terms?

So if we take the article at face value -  a big If in my book - and accept Bournemouth have been allowed to officially talk to the player, this can only mean we think a deal with Bournemouth can be done even though we've rejected their £12M, i.e. it's only a matter of time before a transfer fee is agreed.

As I say, big If that one - who the hell are sahara football???  What's Nixon or someone we've actually heard of got to say?      

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I get there are ways of letting the player know what sort of terms you're offering as a buying club - via the agent, nothing official that could be deemed as "tapping up"

It's being widely reported that Arsenal have already agreed terms with Mudryk and Chelsea with Enzo Fernandez. Neither has yet agreed a fee with their current clubs.

If there is still a rule against tapping up it certainly isn't enforced.

15 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But if it's a player we don't want to sell at all or, in Semenyo's case, one for whom we appear to have a clear fee in mind and which the buying club are not prepared to meet, why would we allow the player to discuss personal terms?

So if we take the article at face value -  a big If in my book - and accept Bournemouth have been allowed to officially talk to the player, this can only mean we think a deal with Bournemouth can be done even though we've rejected their £12M, i.e. it's only a matter of time before a transfer fee is agreed.

As I say, big If that one - who the hell are sahara football???  What's Nixon or someone we've actually heard of got to say?      

The same people (Sahara football) that came up with this in September ?

Exclusive: Antoine Semenyo to stay at Bristol City after Bournemouth £10M bid turned down • Sahara Football

I'll take this with a proverbial pinch of salt I think.

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Bournemouth. Want Semenyo. Deal Difficult. Bit in paper.

As he says for every sodding rumour ever.

Ah yes, Nixon, the man who kept insisting that Chris Kirchner was genuine and had the money to buy Derby County. I assume the cheque is still lost in the post.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Ah yes, Nixon, the man who kept insisting that Chris Kirchner was genuine and had the money to buy Derby County. I assume the cheque is still lost in the post.

Has he ever been right about a player coming to us or leaving? He’s certainly never broke the news first…. Easy to jump on once it’s known news. Never take any notice of what he says about us if he’s the first to break it anyway. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I guess having Phil Alexander now on board will have a very good insight into how Prem clubs value a player like Semenyo and how to get the best deal for him

Especially coming from Palace who are very good at picking up players from the Championship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vidal said:

£20 mil for both Scott and Semenyo would be excellent business. Add in hefty sell on clauses for both.

I'd say reluctantly £25m the pair, in an ideal financial climate £30m surely but there could be pressure to sell based on FFP. There are cost pressure factors at play here and buying clubs will know or assume this.

Has the transfer market fallen as we argue? Difficult to say, if we are relying on that argument as part of a compliance plan and neglect to sell in January as a result I dunno if it will fully stack up. We can point to our fall in sales, but the League can point to a rangr of £10m or above deals sold by Championship clubs during Covid.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd say reluctantly £25m the pair, in an ideal financial climate £30m surely but there could be pressure to sell based on FFP. There are cost pressure factors at play here and buying clubs will know or assume this.

Has the transfer market fallen as we argue? Difficult to say, if we are relying on that argument as part of a compliance plan and neglect to sell in January as a result I dunno if it will fully stack up. We can point to our fall in sales, but the League can point to a rangr of £10m or above deals sold by Championship clubs during Covid.

Exactly this.

Those quoting previous deals that were completed pre pandemic (like Lloyd Kelly) aren’t comparing remotely similar things.

For me the bottom has fallen out of the market at our level, Callum Robinson joined Cardiff for around £1m in August, it would have been more than double that pre 2020.

My hunch is we won’t do a double deal, but will try & negotiate 2 separate fees & if we look at anyone coming the other way that would be done independently, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Exclusive: Antoine Semenyo to stay at Bristol City after Bournemouth £10M bid turned down • Sahara Football

I'll take this with a proverbial pinch of salt I think.

Or sand

53 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Exactly this.

Those quoting previous deals that were completed pre pandemic (like Lloyd Kelly) aren’t comparing remotely similar things.

For me the bottom has fallen out of the market at our level, Callum Robinson joined Cardiff for around £1m in August, it would have been more than double that pre 2020.

My hunch is we won’t do a double deal, but will try & negotiate 2 separate fees & if we look at anyone coming the other way that would be done independently, too.

It's hard to say really on the wider impact. Big pinch of salt but Transfermarkt has it actually rising ie Championship transfer revenue in 2020-21 before a big fall in season 2021-22- some recovery this season so far. Our argument at least according to media reports in 2022 was that it cost us in the Covid seasons. There is also the possibility that we ran low on good players to sell. Brentford for example had no issues getting big prices for Benrahma and Watkins during the Covid season itself. QPR got good money for Eze.

They however did not have uncertainty over FFP- Covid has hit the market but is it as much as said? Lots of variables. Covid is one factor , whether we'll be fully cleared FFP wise is another in our case IMO. Gould and the club say confident, but these things are open to interpretation and argument.

Potentially yes, agree on lack of swap or dual type deals ie player x in part exchange.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I have to be honest, I would be amazed if we are turning down £12m for Semenyo,

He's not signing a new deal, and in the summer he has one year left and then he can walk on a free. In fact in 12 months time foreign clubs can get him to sign a pre contract on a free!

If we are turning down 12m, it must mean we think we can get slightly more, or its fake news. Also it would do our FFP situation no good, if it turns out this or next season, we are at risk of a breach and turned down a big money offer for a player that would mean the difference staying within FFP or breaking it.

I personally think its just paper talk. 

If any team is offering 12m for Semenyo, he would surely be on his bike right now. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

According to that, Bournemouth also couldn't agree personal terms with the player.

But seeing as they can't talk to the player until the club have agreed to sell to Bournemouth, I think we can dismiss this as a work of fiction. 

I don't think modern day football really works like that anymore. 

It seems far more common for a player to agree terms through his agent before a bid even gets put in. 

3 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

"The Bullshit Coefficient" is the ratio of the number of written words, to the number of adverts on a page.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Also it would do our FFP situation no good, if it turns out this or next season, we are at risk of a breach and turned down a big money offer for a player that would mean the difference staying within FFP or breaking it.

Plus the League did throw an extra charge at Birmingham for turning down a bid in January 2019. Dunno if that rule still holds but that was a case that many Birmingham fans laughed at, scoffed at when reports that they might be charged for keeping Che Adams in January 2019 arose. Online reaction from the time was fairly derisive at the concept.

However arise it did and charged they were.

They won on appeal the League so presumably they have the right to do so. Will depend on agreements etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Treading a fine line with this because the B'muff owner has said he's going to strengthen this window with 4-5 players.

We're definitely willing to sell but im unsure if the 12m figure is correct, maybe 7-8 up front with the rest in instalments but with only a year left on the deal I'd be surprised!

If they're willing to front the money and we can keep them interested instead of looking elsewhere then it is a deal that should be done.

Wells, Conway, Weimann as a front three looks sharp and with Bell making his way through and Martin probably being moved on leaves a spot for someone to come in a forward area if we invest in it wisely. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Treading a fine line with this because the B'muff owner has said he's going to strengthen this window with 4-5 players.

We're definitely willing to sell but im unsure if the 12m figure is correct, maybe 7-8 up front with the rest in instalments but with only a year left on the deal I'd be surprised!

If they're willing to front the money and we can keep them interested instead of looking elsewhere then it is a deal that should be done.

Wells, Conway, Weimann as a front three looks sharp and with Bell making his way through and Martin probably being moved on leaves a spot for someone to come in a forward area if we invest in it wisely. 

What I was thinking. 12m seems fair but maybe it was the structure we did not like of true. Or more obtainable add ons. He is the easiest to move on from the standpoint is not auto first team player. I don’t think we should play around too much but also can’t be fleeced. Tough situation

Lots of clubs are rumoured to be interested in Scott. I just can’t see him going to Bournemouth. I think he’ll at least see this season out with us. I think/hope that the level of interest will push his fee up. Semenyo is a different case. I think we have a number in mind, and if a club hits it we will reluctantly sell in this window.

• Like 2

Just now, HappyClapper said:

Lots of clubs are rumoured to be interested in Scott. I just can’t see him going to Bournemouth. I think he’ll at least see this season out with us. I think/hope that the level of interest will push his fee up. Semenyo is a different case. I think we have a number in mind, and if a club hits it we will reluctantly sell in this window.

He is the only player in our recent history who I can see going to a top top club. 

39 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Will possibly unsettle Conway too as he and Alex seem close

I’m sure  Conway is sensible and realises, that as this is his first season as a regular starter in the team, his best option is to stay at City. If he went elsewhere to a better club he’d probably just get sub appearances or get sent out on loan. Next season it may be different 

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

I’m sure  Conway is sensible and realises, that as this is his first season as a regular starter in the team, his best option is to stay at City. If he went elsewhere to a better club he’d probably just get sub appearances or get sent out on loan. Next season it may be different 

Or mature enough to know by seeing his mates go onto bigger things, can spur him onto become a better player and put himself in contention for a big money move…

we need to be bigger than teams like Bournemouth, we all know we are ready off the pitch regarding facilities, academy etc, but not where it matters most

this is proof we have young players good enough for bigger clubs, but I’m damned it won’t be with us