IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

Anyone remember when Arsenal made a £250,000 bid for Merrick and Ritchie during the 75/76 promotion season. The then Chairman Robert Hobbs encouraged City fans to purchase season tickets to reduce the club's large bank overdraft, and both players stayed. How times have changed, but sentimental bollocks haven't.

I'm off for a Horlicks.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

‘The next Haaland’

37 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Anyone remember when Arsenal made a £250,000 bid for Merrick and Ritchie during the 75/76 promotion season. The then Chairman Robert Hobbs encouraged City fans to purchase season tickets to reduce the club's large bank overdraft, and both players stayed. How times have changed, but sentimental bollocks haven't.

I'm off for a Horlicks.

Agree different situation but we were in top two in Feb or March and looking good to go up.

Now we are needing to stay up and even if we don't sell anyone, and therefore possibly unable to recruit in this window, we could still be relegated. That would be a serious disaster.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

I have to be honest, I would be amazed if we are turning down £12m for Semenyo,

He's not signing a new deal, and in the summer he has one year left and then he can walk on a free. In fact in 12 months time foreign clubs can get him to sign a pre contract on a free!

If we are turning down 12m, it must mean we think we can get slightly more, or its fake news. Also it would do our FFP situation no good, if it turns out this or next season, we are at risk of a breach and turned down a big money offer for a player that would mean the difference staying within FFP or breaking it.

I personally think its just paper talk. 

If any team is offering 12m for Semenyo, he would surely be on his bike right now. 

Is it been reported that he won’t be signing a new deal? Have we actually offered him one yet? Sorry if it has but I’ve not seen it reported anywhere. 

44 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I'm off for a Horlicks.

Apart from the fact there was no freedom of contract, no FFP, no parachute payments or significant TV money it is almost an identical situation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Apart from the fact there was no freedom of contract, no FFP, no parachute payments or significant TV money it is almost an identical situation.

True, but then I did say it was sentimental bollocks Graham. I'm off to polish my rose-tinted spectacles and drink from a half-full glass, cheers!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Is it been reported that he won’t be signing a new deal? Have we actually offered him one yet? Sorry if it has but I’ve not seen it reported anywhere. 

We have recently announced, that we were triggering his extra year (his contract actually expires this year, but we have an option to extend it by one year if we want). I would imagine, although I do not know, that this would suggest that any new deal has not been accepted or considered, therefore it is in our best financial interest to trigger the extension. Otherwise he would simply leave for free in the summer, and now we can at least get a fee. If he was likely to sign a new deal, and I would be very confident he has been offered one, if not several, that we would not have gone down the route of triggering the extra year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

I'm off for a Horlicks.

40 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

@Curr Avon, ignore @GrahamC . His comments are irrelevant as the size of the bid to a small club - ie Bristol City - were a significant challenge that a lot of clubs would have succumbed to. I feel sorry for Merrick and Richie as their careers would probably been better playing for Arsenal rather than City 

2 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

Lots of clubs are rumoured to be interested in Scott. I just can’t see him going to Bournemouth. I think he’ll at least see this season out with us. I think/hope that the level of interest will push his fee up. Semenyo is a different case. I think we have a number in mind, and if a club hits it we will reluctantly sell in this window.

Agreed. Think Scott could interest most of the Prem besides the ones at the bottom and the really big clubs. Could see him at somewhere like Leicester or Brighton.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

@Curr Avon, ignore @GrahamC I feel sorry for Merrick and Richie as their careers would probably been better playing for Arsenal rather than City 

Possibly for Merrick, they like a classy player - O'Leary and Merrick at centre half would have been as classy as they come. Not for Ritchie though. Tom is a home bird, one year in Sunderland was too much (insert cheap gag here), even allowing for the injuries he had up there. He just didn't settle  and I suspect the same would have been true in London. Tom's heart rules his head and his heart belongs to Glasgow and Bristol. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

We have recently announced, that we were triggering his extra year (his contract actually expires this year, but we have an option to extend it by one year if we want). I would imagine, although I do not know, that this would suggest that any new deal has not been accepted or considered, therefore it is in our best financial interest to trigger the extension. Otherwise he would simply leave for free in the summer, and now we can at least get a fee. If he was likely to sign a new deal, and I would be very confident he has been offered one, if not several, that we would not have gone down the route of triggering the extra year. 

On a hugely pedantic point, we could have NOT exercised our option, offered him a totally NEW deal, and then entitle ourselves to compo in the summer.  Obviously best thing to do was exercise the option, add some power to our side of the deal.  Which we did. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HappyClapper said:

Scott is a player I could see ending up at Dortmund.

• Like 2

A move to Burnley might not be a bad thing for the player or the club. They are in no way competition with us, even if we put together a miracle run. They would have to melt down completely not to get top two and have plenty to spend. 

Not out of the question I would suggest. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

A move to Burnley might not be a bad thing for the player or the club. They are in no way competition with us, even if we put together a miracle run. They would have to melt down completely not to get top two and have plenty to spend. 

Not out of the question I would suggest. 

And they must be thinking that Ashley Barnes and Jay Rodriguez won`t be playing much next season and Nathan Tella will go back to Saints so they would be seriously short of strikers. FWIW though, I can`t see them not going up so they may be fishing in bigger ponds if/when they do.

21 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

And they must be thinking that Ashley Barnes and Jay Rodriguez won`t be playing much next season and Nathan Tella will go back to Saints so they would be seriously short of strikers. FWIW though, I can`t see them not going up so they may be fishing in bigger ponds if/when they do.

Of course you are right about their possibilities. Who knows where they could go. However they have money available now and are being associated with a guy that is a on the watch list of clubs at home and abroad, by all accounts. 

I suppose either way we agree. In this case selling to a rival club in the division does not apply here as to all intense and purposes they won’t be for long. Having Semenyo to be integrated in by Kompany in this division does have upside. Guess we will see. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Of course you are right about their possibilities. Who knows where they could go. However they have money available now and are being associated with a guy that is a on the watch list of clubs at home and abroad, by all accounts. 

I suppose either way we agree. In this case selling to a rival club in the division does not apply here as to all intense and purposes they won’t be for long. Having Semenyo to be integrated in by Kompany in this division does have upside. Guess we will see. 

In fact it could help us if he starts scoring against our rivals at the bottom!

• Like 3
  • Robin 2

5 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

id settle for a quarter for Semenyo, Scott I feel we need to keep if we want to stay up

Selling Semenyo for £3m would be the worst piece of business since we sold Bob Taylor for £300k, I genuinely would consider giving up on the club if that happened.

• Like 3

Semenyo signed a four- year contract in September 2020 so if he did go how what impact if any would there be contractually ? If the club gets 5M for him then best let him go. He is good but not consistent. 5M could bring in a player that would fit NP.s long term plan. I do not think we will get relegated this season if NP has some leverage and some money to spend.