IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

1 hour ago, sludge said:

If we sell Semenyo this window for a ‘fair price’ and end up in League One next season, that ‘fair price’ will look like the worst piece of business we’ve done in a long time. 

Antoine didn't turn up for half a season and yet we are nowhere near relegation

We will be fine without him

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Not turning up is a funny way to describe Injured and on international duty.

Dull.

If you take it literally it is...

2 goals in 18 games or something up until recently, very off form for a few months due to injury or whatever.

Great player but my point stands. We were not in the relegation zone despite his contribution up to very recently being very minimal.

I don't know whether Semenyo will depart but I don't see that our game changes if he does. We'd lose some power certainly but in Wells, Bell, Scott and Sykes we have enough energy to maintain a high press when defending and enough pace to transition on the counter in attack. Add in young players like Taylor-Clark and in due course returning Weimann and Conway then we should be able to cope. 

• Like 1

Antoine is our ace in the pack & the only one who can turn a match on its head.  Power & pace are impossible to stop & he’s worth more to us now. Move on in summer as hopefully a boat load of goals and assists at minimum retain his value, if not add to it. 

Edited by Shuffle
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

I’m yet to be convinced that Semenyo can be a consistent top level player. When he’s good he’s a decent championship striker, when’s he’s bad, he’s terrible. I’d take 10m and run. 

I suggest it is you who should keep on running?  Nothing personal.........but i think you have no idea what constitutes a quality footballer, who at just 22, has his best years ahead of him? ?

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I suggest it is you who should keep on running?  Nothing personal.........but i think you have no idea what constitutes a quality footballer, who at just 22, has his best years ahead of him? ?

Well I’ve seen pretty much every minute he’s played for us, most of it live so I think I have a pretty good idea. He does not have the technique of a Bobby Reid, the poachers instinct of a Tammy or the game intelligence of a Webster. With Lloyd Kelly you could tell he was going to the top from the first moment he stepped on the pitch, that, in my personal opinion, was not the case with Semenyo.

I’m not saying Antione isn’t an effective striker but his pace and power paint over the fairly substantial cracks in his technical ability. I hope he does well in the premier league but I have my doubts that he will be a big success at that level. 

I would suggest it’s you that has the rose tinted glasses on because he plays for city and prem teams are interested. You therefore suddenly think he’s a world beater worth 15m+ when in reality he’s done very little to command that kind of fee 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Well I’ve seen pretty much every minute he’s played for us, most of it live so I think I have a pretty good idea. He does not have the technique of a Bobby Reid, the poachers instinct of a Tammy or the game intelligence of a Webster. With Lloyd Kelly you could tell he was going to the top from the first moment he stepped on the pitch, that, in my personal opinion, was not the case with Semenyo.

I’m not saying Antione isn’t an effective striker but his pace and power paint over the fairly substantial cracks in his technical ability. I hope he does well in the premier league but I have my doubts that he will be a big success at that level. 

I would suggest it’s you that has the rose tinted glasses on because he plays for city and prem teams are interested. You therefore suddenly think he’s a world beater worth 15m+ when in reality he’s done very little to command that kind of fee 

Not picking on this, but you said:

32 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

When he’s good he’s a decent championship striker

I’m querying what you mean by decent, because when he’s good he’s pretty much up there with the best at this level…and that’s exactly why PL clubs are watching / interested.

I get the impression you are looking for him to be the perfect all round striker.  He isn’t that, few are, even in the PL.

Even when he’s “bad” he still can make things happen imho.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Two things that quite strongly suggest this will happen soon:

1) Antoine has already agreed terms so obviously wants to go

2) The stories leaking the bids are from the Bournemouth side, meaning this is being done deliberately to put pressure on City to sell, and of course to unsettle Antoine.

How soon is now?

3 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

We will have to agree to disagree............all i will state, is that Bobby Reid did not start to truly fire until he was 25, and if you take the time to look and see where Antoine's path has come from, then he has had a lot of catching up to achieve his current status?.  I  am confident in my own judgement, that Semenyo will be an established Premiership striker within 3 seasons...............anyway gotta go.........have to have my rose tinted spec's adjusted........fool.......Ha!

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm hopeful we would get £12-15m in an up front fee but the problem is the FFP the club say they're fine not to sell- will stick with that atm but it's never 100 pct sure.

Almost never get that high a percentage up front these days. It's too much liquid cash to just transfer over. Video games just make us think it is.

2 hours ago, sludge said:

If we sell Semenyo this window for a ‘fair price’ and end up in League One next season, that ‘fair price’ will look like the worst piece of business we’ve done in a long time. 

If we go down it'll be because of more than simply Semenyo leaving... and if we do go down his value will drop significantly. 

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m querying what you mean by decent, because when he’s good he’s pretty much up there with the best at this level…and that’s exactly why PL clubs are watching / interested.

I get the impression you are looking for him to be the perfect all round striker.  He isn’t that, few are, even in the PL.

I’m not looking for him to be anything, I’m just saying from all the games I’ve seen him play, 10m seems a very fair price and a big gamble from Bournemouths perspective. I think he can cause premier league teams problems but he hasn’t shown the consistency of performance to warrant the kind of money that some seem to be expecting. 

is he the answer to Bournemouths problems? I very much doubt it 

• Flames 2

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

2) The stories leaking the bids are from the Bournemouth side, meaning this is being done deliberately to put pressure on City to sell, and of course to unsettle Antoine.

You heard it here............Antoine will NOT be signing for Bournemouth

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

We will have to agree to disagree............all i will state, is that Bobby Reid did not start to truly fire until he was 25, and if you take the time to look and see where Antoine's path has come from, then he has had a lot of catching up to achieve his current status?.  I  am confident in my own judgement, that Semenyo will be an established Premiership striker within 3 seasons...............anyway gotta go.........have to have my rose tinted spec's adjusted........fool.......Ha!

Fair point. Time will tell I suppose. 

Anyway, gotta go, you’ve reminded me why I don’t bother engaging with people on here. Its where brain cells go to die 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What do you think to a potential fee? £15m or a bit less rising to.

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Also the reports from Ghanaian reporters point towards information coming from the players representatives. 

One reporter stating that a third bid is being prepared.

My concern at this point, is being left short of attacking options this weekend, should a deal be agreed beforehand.

I definitely want Semenyo to stay but have to give the current incumbents the chance to make the deal they think is best for City.

I don’t really mind how much he goes (or doesn’t) for so long as we have a definite plan for life without him. Continuity planning is absolutely vital and the lack of it over the years is almost always the cause of a spiralling wage bill and dire performances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

3 weeks ago we had a poor team heading for relegation. One league win later and we can afford to lose a £15m rated forward in the midst of an minor injury crisis.

Riiiiiiight.

Yes, I think we can and have consistently said so. He's an honest player and his power can make him look spectacular but he's not one for me who'll ever be a consistent top striker. His first touch is generally not good enough and he often lacks composure and finesse in front of goal. Every now and again he will have a great game but there are too many poor ones. If anyone offered £15M for him I'd snatch it from their hands. 

Elsewhere I don't understand comparison to Bobby Reid. They are a totally different style of player. Until he was 23/24 Bobby Reid had spent his football career as a midfielder not a striker, and it's questionable that Fulham are using him as a striker now. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nail meet head. As I was reading a few messages above I was thinking much the same. Being unplayable at this level means there's a change it translates to the PL (with continuing progress). The question then just becomes one of risk v reward for potential suitors (mid to lower placed PL teams). 

And as for city, it's a case of looking for the sweet spot in the exit strategy. Best case is AS stays for the season and contributes well and we get a transfer fee nearer our valuation (whatever that is) in the summer. After the summer AS becomes a massively depreciating asset, and easy pickings next January transfer window.

• Like 1

Well I have to say I am happy to leave it all to Gould and Pearson. They clearly know what the club can and can't do in this window and likewise will act in the best interests of Bristol City over Semenyo. I just want to enjoy watching him while we have him and hope he keeps getting back to his best and helps keep our run going.  

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

36 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Well I have to say I am happy to leave it all to Gould and Pearson. They clearly know what the club can and can't do in this window and likewise will act in the best interests of Bristol City over Semenyo. I just want to enjoy watching him while we have him and hope he keeps getting back to his best and helps keep our run going.  

Agree. There is a calmness and competence within the workings of the club right now (Gould, Tinnion, Pearson) which gives me a sense of confidence that decisions are being made appropriately. Hopefully this continues with our new CEO as our financial restrictions ease. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Nail meet head. As I was reading a few messages above I was thinking much the same. Being unplayable at this level means there's a change it translates to the PL (with continuing progress). The question then just becomes one of risk v reward for potential suitors (mid to lower placed PL teams). 

And as for city, it's a case of looking for the sweet spot in the exit strategy. Best case is AS stays for the season and contributes well and we get a transfer fee nearer our valuation (whatever that is) in the summer. After the summer AS becomes a massively depreciating asset, and easy pickings next January transfer window.

The summer if not now is definitely the best time for it provided Semenyo doesn't wish to extend. 

Maybe we can push it up to £15-20m IF he really gets going between now and May.