IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Go on

Really ? Been reported online that Semenyo has agreed terms of 50K a week at Bournemouth. Therefore there's your 50,000 reasons right there not to stay at Bristol City. People will say it's not about the money, and it shouldn't be, but that's rubbish. If someone is going to offer you a salary which sets you up for life, especially in an industry which if you are lucky you have 4/5 decent contracts in and 10-15 years at most, then you are 100% not passing it up, and if someone tries to block it for you, you certainly wouldn't be happy about it.
I have no idea, how much Semenyo is on here, maybe 10K, but if the numbers banded about are true, or even half of that amount for what its worth, there is no way he would be happy about the club blocking a move, and I wouldn't blame him either. 

1 minute ago, robinforlife2 said:

Really ? Been reported online that Semenyo has agreed terms of 50K a week at Bournemouth. Therefore there's your 50,000 reasons right there not to stay at Bristol City. People will say it's not about the money, and it shouldn't be, but that's rubbish. If someone is going to offer you a salary which sets you up for life, especially in an industry which if you are lucky you have 4/5 decent contracts in and 10-15 years at most, then you are 100% not passing it up, and if someone tries to block it for you, you certainly wouldn't be happy about it.
I have no idea, how much Semenyo is on here, maybe 10K, but if the numbers banded about are true, or even half of that amount for what its worth, there is no way he would be happy about the club blocking a move, and I wouldn't blame him either. 

Don’t judge everyone by the same brush

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Dave, Dave, Dave. Absolute rookie mistake.

Its Penry the mild mannered janitor

You know what, it’s always bugged me has that.

As a complete saddo with a memory for incredibly trivial info…I was on a flight once (might’ve been easyJet, doesn’t matter) and the inflight magazine had a kids section, quizzes, word search type stuff.  I wasn’t a kid but was bored.  One of the questions was - what is the real name of Hong Kong Phooey?  My answer was of course Henry.  Wrong.  The answer was Penrod Pooch, which I thought was a bit strange.  Why would a cartoon character have another name.  It’s not like Adam West > Bruce Wayne > Batman, e.g, Penrod Pooch > Henry > HKP.

So until today, it’s always stuck in my head, but mainly as “why”.

Now I know, I guess Penry is short for Penrod.

Thanks.

And I’d never have know if it wasn’t for this pesky forum! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

You know what, it’s always bugged me has that.

As a complete saddo with a memory for incredibly trivial info…I was on a flight once (might’ve been easyJet, doesn’t matter) and the inflight magazine had a kids section, quizzes, word search type stuff.  I wasn’t a kid but was bored.  One of the questions was - what is the real name of Hong Kong Phooey?  My answer was of course Henry.  Wrong.  The answer was Penrod Pooch, which I thought was a bit strange.  Why would a cartoon character have another name.  It’s not like Adam West > Bruce Wayne > Batman, e.g, Penrod Pooch > Henry > HKP.

So until today, it’s always stuck in my head, but mainly as “why”.

Now I know, I guess Penry is short for Penrod.

Thanks.

And I’d never have know if it wasn’t for this pesky forum! ?

Voiced by Scatman Crothers. Who not only popularised scat jazz singing in the 1930s, but subsequently was the dozy orderly in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and in another Jack Nicholson film, the Shining, got an ice-axe that made his ears burn. He was Meadowlark in the Harlem Globetrotters cartoon. 

He also sang the Hong Kong Phooey theme tune. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bannerman said:

Don’t judge everyone by the same brush

Seriously?

Sorry, but I don't care what walk of life you are from, you look after yourself. If someone offered to 5x, or 10x your wages, you would go to that new job and if someone tried to block it you wouldn't be happy. 

Maybe the club and Semenyo have agreed a fee they would be happy to see him leave for, and there's an understanding in place, if an offer coming in matches that they wont stand in his way, but its a dangerous game for a player who knows he is 18 months away from a far better contract than he is on now. A contract this club can't and wont be able to give. 

Semenyo as a free agent can command a decent signing on fee, and a decent wage that would set him up for life, and he will have an agent making this very clear to him. If we want to play a 10 million pound game of pitch and toss, it's incredibly risky. He is not signing a new deal, and his stock and value is at it's highest now. We also need money to reinvest and I think anyone would agree keeping Scott, Conway and Pring and whatever their future values may be is better than keeping a player who 100% wont be here at the end of the season, and right now we can cash in for 10m. 

The club is pretty much skint, needs to reinvest and improve the squad and has to sell to do so. But by not selling Semenyo, we prevent that from happening. Holding out for the crown jewels is all well in good if your sat in the pound seats with a player very much under your control, (ie like Scott), but it is a dangerous game with a situation like Semenyo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, robinforlife2 said:

Seriously?

Sorry, but I don't care what walk of life you are from, you look after yourself. If someone offered to 5x, or 10x your wages, you would go to that new job and if someone tried to block it you wouldn't be happy. 

Maybe the club and Semenyo have agreed a fee they would be happy to see him leave for, and there's an understanding in place, if an offer coming in matches that they wont stand in his way, but its a dangerous game for a player who knows he is 18 months away from a far better contract than he is on now. A contract this club can't and wont be able to give. 

Semenyo as a free agent can command a decent signing on fee, and a decent wage that would set him up for life, and he will have an agent making this very clear to him. If we want to play a 10 million pound game of pitch and toss, it's incredibly risky. He is not signing a new deal, and his stock and value is at it's highest now. We also need money to reinvest and I think anyone would agree keeping Scott, Conway and Pring and whatever their future values may be is better than keeping a player who 100% wont be here at the end of the season, and right now we can cash in for 10m. 

The club is pretty much skint, needs to reinvest and improve the squad and has to sell to do so. But by not selling Semenyo, we prevent that from happening. Holding out for the crown jewels is all well in good if your sat in the pound seats with a player very much under your control, (ie like Scott), but it is a dangerous game with a situation like Semenyo.

But as the moment there are a lot of assumptions in what you’re suggesting, albeit you’re only going on media reports.

And as it seems very one sided media reporting, it’s probably why I’m a bit more sceptical about this and on the other side of fence.

Re cashing in now, and trying to replace….is that the best time for us to do it?  With “cash to burn” (great) can we attract the right player either on loan or as a strategic signing NOW.  The January window “pool” has reduced “fishing rights”, but also our own league position isn’t great either.  Are we attractive at this point.  Perversely it might be a financially better risk approach to have Antoine secure our place in the Championship and get a couple of million less in the summer…but when the pool has re-filled.

There seem to be so many in this thread thinking that’s it’s all about finding a nice cosy happy medium.  Why?  There are two sides to a contract too.

I appreciate I’m a broken record on this.  Sorry.

And as per @Bannerman, not everyone is motivated by money either.

And I most certainly don’t look after myself.  I feel a weight of social responsibility too and often do things that aren’t in my best interests.  That’s who I am.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But as the moment there are a lot of assumptions in what you’re suggesting, albeit you’re only going on media reports.

Yes, I have no idea about anything. Not in the know, don't know anyone in the know. The only mate I have who was a footballer, retired 15 years ago and he was rubbish and whilst he played in league one, his salary was never 4 figures a week, which shows how much the game has changed in a short time. 

And as it seems very one sided media reporting, it’s probably why I’m a bit more sceptical about this and on the other side of fence.

That's fair, you always speak your mind, have good discussion and reasoning, no one can argue with that even if they don't agree. 

Re cashing in now, and trying to replace….is that the best time for us to do it?  With “cash to burn” (great) can we attract the right player either on loan or as a strategic signing NOW.  The January window “pool” has reduced “fishing rights”, but also our own league position isn’t great either.  Are we attractive at this point.  Perversely it might be a financially better risk approach to have Antoine secure our place in the Championship and get a couple of million less in the summer…but when the pool has re-filled.

Personally I don't think we'll miss Semenyo if he is sold. That's my feeling. Granted the injury to Conway and uncertainty of his return changes that a little, but I feel that in Wells, Weimann, Conway, Bell and Sykes, we have enough forward players, that I think if we sell him, we don't need to rush into his long term replacement, as they may be here already. I would rather take the 10m now and strengthen a couple of areas we need to strengthen, than take 8m in the summer and effectively not been able to use 2m to strengthen areas of more concern.

There seem to be so many in this thread thinking that’s it’s all about finding a nice cosy happy medium.  Why?  There are two sides to a contract too.

There are, but surely you agree, he is in a better position than we are. He clearly doesn't want to sign a new deal. We've activated the extra year to protect ourselves. In the summer he becomes another Massengo? What happens if clubs think, we can have him for free in 12 months, foreign clubs think we can pre sign him in 6 months, does he get frozen out, cast aside, for basically doing what he has clearly shown he is happy to do. For me if Semenyo had any respect for the side, he could agree a 2 year extension, with a 15m release clause, and an improved wage. That way his agent can tell every club under the sun, 15m buys him , and he is protected by a contract which means if a club is willing to pay the upper end of his value they can have him, but effectively he is doing a Massengo, but not getting the same treatment yet.

And I most certainly don’t look after myself.  I feel a weight of social responsibility too and often do things that aren’t in my best interests.  That’s who I am.

Credit to you there. Personally if a better job (money wise) came up for me tomorrow, I would be gone and if my boss tried to stop me I would just walk out. I enjoy my job, but I have bills to pay, animals to look after and at present theres a lot of month left at the end of the money.

Reply above

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomF said:

I don't have an issue with his posts, its the fact that I'm 99% certain its a returning user.  We're actually pretty chilled about returning users as long as they're not the usual suspects which in this case I think not...   They want to email the OTIB help account and fess up we can sort it I'm sure. 

Is he now on a ban ????

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

??????

Well spotted, you win the prize.  What size “I love Nige” t-shirt do you want.

If he doesn't want that T-Shirt, I can offer up a T-Shirt I had made in December 2017, which has Lee on it, with the writing God is a Lee J, I got it made after the Man Utd game and everything seemed to go down hill very quickly afterwards and its never been worn. So I may have been the curse that caused the downturn .....

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We will probably to continue to come at this from different angles.

I don’t disagree that this window “might” be the best window to sell him in, but if that is so, then you try to maximise it, because we hold the strong hand at this point (subject to change quickly in the world of football).

You seem to really undersell Antoine’s ability, consistent or not.  The fact that several PL teams are interested (some have bid) shows they believe he had PL ability, whether that’s consistent or inconsistent and NOW not just potential.  He has the physical attributes that clubs want.  They see it as something that gives him a better chance of being a success.  At his current inconsistency he has still got 7g / 2a in 1476 minutes of football.  At his average he’s scoring at a level that starts to stand out.

Again, your focus seems to be on fair price / market value for all parties, **** the other party, we want this to be the best deal for Bristol City.  There isn’t really a market to compare against is there, every transfer is different.  Was Adam Nagy to Pisa for free and a £750k impairment in the books a fair price / market value for an international with 50+ caps?

Bournemouth allegedly went from 6+2 to 8+2 in the blink of an eye….I just think we are right to play hardball on this one.

And that’s a big caveat, especially if he can reignite interest from someone like Palace.

I’m not sure it is conclusive re personal terms.  But I’m not ITK, so just have a different gut feel to you.

No, mainly because he wouldn’t come here, but also because he’d break our wage structure I suspect, he’s 30, has a history of niggly injuries.  I’d rather look for a player we’ve been scouting for our specific needs with growth.  I guess on loan you might.  I dunno.

Actually sriki dembele would appear to be more of a like for like replacement?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Yes, I have no idea about anything. Not in the know, don't know anyone in the know. The only mate I have who was a footballer, retired 15 years ago and he was rubbish and whilst he played in league one, his salary was never 4 figures a week, which shows how much the game has changed in a short time.

me very similar.

That's fair, you always speak your mind, have good discussion and reasoning, no one can argue with that even if they don't agree.

that’s the beauty of OTIB, being able to reason from opposite sides of the coin. The issues arise when the reasoning stops and the stuff gets personal.  I like reading the other side of the coin, makes me reflect on whether my thought processes are right or wrong.

Personally I don't think we'll miss Semenyo if he is sold. That's my feeling. Granted the injury to Conway and uncertainty of his return changes that a little, but I feel that in Wells, Weimann, Conway, Bell and Sykes, we have enough forward players, that I think if we sell him, we don't need to rush into his long term replacement, as they may be here already. I would rather take the 10m now and strengthen a couple of areas we need to strengthen, than take 8m in the summer and effectively not been able to use 2m to strengthen areas of more concern.

I think this probably helps clarify the sides of the coin.  I think there are two groups (generally), those that think he’s probably not that important (we should take £x million) and those that think he’s really important (we should hold out for more than £x million).

As an overall though, I do agree that this could be the optimal window to sell him in from a pure £fee perspective but I also think he could go up in value too.

There are, but surely you agree, he is in a better position than we are. He clearly doesn't want to sign a new deal. We've activated the extra year to protect ourselves. In the summer he becomes another Massengo? What happens if clubs think, we can have him for free in 12 months, foreign clubs think we can pre sign him in 6 months, does he get frozen out, cast aside, for basically doing what he has clearly shown he is happy to do. For me if Semenyo had any respect for the side, he could agree a 2 year extension, with a 15m release clause, and an improved wage. That way his agent can tell every club under the sun, 15m buys him , and he is protected by a contract which means if a club is willing to pay the upper end of his value they can have him, but effectively he is doing a Massengo, but not getting the same treatment yet.

I’m not sure he is in a better position this window, in the summer undoubtedly.  As it stands he’s got Bournemouth interested.  If it was Palace or Brentford for example, I think the balance might be very different.  As it’s Bournemouth, I think it allows us to play harder in negotiations.

Re new contract and release clause, that would be my preferred scenario.  Matty Taylor did it with Rovers!!!  Bad example ?

Credit to you there. Personally if a better job (money wise) came up for me tomorrow, I would be gone and if my boss tried to stop me I would just walk out. I enjoy my job, but I have bills to pay, animals to look after and at present theres a lot of month left at the end of the money.

I like that final phrase!!

I was only chatting to a work colleague this morning about “promotion chasing” within the same company.  Before I left the company I worked at for 28 years, I’d been the same grade for 14 years.  My new head of Dept at our first 121 pretty much said “I see you’ve been the same level for 14 years, what is your problem”, no intro, no find out about me, etc.  Basically I liked my job role, the next level up was more management, less doing, and it was the doing bit I liked.  Over a period of the next 12 months I got more and more fed up of the internal team politics, tried to get voluntary redundancy VR.  Was turned down, too valuable to lose, too costly to pay off, etc.  Usual crap.  So I resigned.  No pay off (had I got VR I would’ve got 92 weeks payout!), no job to go to.  They thought I was trying to call their bluff, I just gave them my letter.  Over the next 2 days we worked out my leaving date, and by the end of the next week I’d gone, as they owed me holiday.  I’m quite a principled bugger about some things, money has rarely been my driver.  I don’t mind if others are though, it’s just not me.

• Like 3