IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

15 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Your schoolboy error ,if I may be so bold,Dave was to not take the promotion. If you had you could have been less advantageous to said company and then be accepted for VR.

But I’d have been a miserable bastard.  At least I was only fed up of the politics not the daily task.

On the one hand, I think Semenyo is a key player for us and we don't have anyone in the squad who can directly replace him. He's utterly unplayable on his day and seems to get goals and assists fairly often even when it isn't his day. Yes, we have other forwards but I still think we'd really miss him if he went.

But I also realise he is probably off at some point in the next 18 months and - whilst his value could theoretically go up with an excellent second half of the season, it is a gamble. But - from a footballing perspective - it would be better to replace him in the Summer than now.

For me, the calculation is working out what he's likely to fetch in the summer, how that differs to what he is likely to be worth now and also how much it is worth to us to have him in the team for another half-season.

That's obviously a bit complex but my shorthand answer is that I think bids of £8 million or £10 million are too close to what we could still get in the summer to be worth considering. A bid of £15 million is probably the point where the financial sense to sell might override the footballing sense to keep him. And £12 or £12.5 million is the point where we'd have to way up both factors and make a call. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

Interesting comments from Nige about people drawing conclusions about the right way to do business. It's already been mentioned that Bournemouth's approach might be to deliberately unsettle the player and goad him into making a transfer request. But that may not get them the result they want. Would be interesting if Semenyo did just that but chose to go elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Idk going from 200-250k a year to 2.5m a year is life changer. Bournemouth tend to play an attacking brand of football even if it gets them relegated. He’d shine with them in the championship imo. All that while making enough money to have a great nee start to life in his 30s after it is all done. 

Shame i cannot have a bet...........because i am certain he will NOT be going anywhere near Bournemouth  ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Interesting comments from Nige about people drawing conclusions about the right way to do business. It's already been mentioned that Bournemouth's approach might be to deliberately unsettle the player and goad him into making a transfer request. But that may not get them the result they want. Would be interesting if Semenyo did just that but chose to go elsewhere. 

Excellent interview, Nige as open as ever , got the feeling that it’s possible something may be in the air with Semenyo by next week , just hope he has his City head tomorrow.

Would have been interesting to have asked Nige about lining up possible replacement to see his reaction . 

• Like 2

As a smart chap called Ciderman says on the Bristol Post site...............Antoine should probably knuckle down for the 2nd half of the Championship season, score as many as possible and contribute loads of assist's.  He will then have his choice of a queue of clubs looking to buy him, and offer him a lucrative contract?  And will have the time over the Summer to make a reasoned choice based on not just money,  but also the potential of his next club ..........instead of rushing into a deal in the next 11 days, which from the outside looking in, involves Bournemouth (honestly?) and to a greater extent Burnley, who at least seem destined to be playing Premiership football next season?    Antoine seems a smart cookie, so I sincerely hope that he bides his time, and makes a career defining move, rather than going for the quick buck?

Of course i am biased, because i would love him to stay and entertain us for the next few months.  But for me, unless a club with real clout comes in for him in the next 11 days, I truly think he is better off staying where he is, and playing the long game, rather than the short fix?   Whatever happens..........i wish Antoine all the best....and also remind a number of so called expert posters on here, ( U know who you are!! Ha!!)   who stated that AS would NEVER make it as a striker, and that he is an over rated waste of time!  Ha!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Personally, if an offer comes in at c £11-12 million so long as there are add ons then I'd bite their knees off.

SL has decided , it seems, to keep NP as manager until the end of the season or beyond so at the very least he needs a couple of new quality players. Even at £10 million up front surely this is enough to buy 1 or 2 players whilst helping to balance the books ( £5m for players & £5m for accounts)?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Shame i cannot have a bet...........because i am certain he will NOT be going anywhere near Bournemouth  ?

Personally I think that Bournemouth may well be the next club to go tumbling down the leagues. They are punching well above their weight at the moment. Even with wealthy owners things can go awfully wrong. Just look at Rovers.?

Edited by marmite
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Pearson didn't say. Nor was he asked. He didn't say how much Bournemouth have bid either. Nor was he asked. Some proper numpties about these days - of course, he probably wouldn't say but unless you ask.... 

just finish after the first 3 words next time.

Edited by Vidal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Pearson didn't say. Nor was he asked. He didn't say how much Bournemouth have bid either. Nor was he asked. Some proper numpties about these days - of course, he probably wouldn't say but unless you ask.... 

Reading between the lines (and quite possibly misreading) I reckon they put a cheeky bid in when the window opened, trying to take advantage of our financial situation.  Didn’t sound like it was this week, and BP reported on 4th Jan.

• Like 4

I find it interesting that Pearson is openly commenting on the situation. I realise he is someone who does sometimes just give very candid answers to questions - especially in the heat of the moment - but the unguarded moments tend to come in post-match reaction rather than pre-match press conferences. The fact he's openly talking about two clubs bidding (especially if @Davefevsis right that he is talking about a bid from a few weeks back) makes me wonder if the club are now expecting a move to happen and trying to encourage other clubs to turn it into a bidding war. 

• Like 5

As much as it'll be gutting to see him go, this is the right time to sell.

Even if his form at the end of the season matches the form at the end of last season, a player in his last 12 months is always going to be a cut price deal.

Whilst we haven’t got Semenyo’s physical attributes in the rest of the squad, we’re getting the best out of Wells and we’ve had the emergence of Conway and Bell which has really boosted our attacking options.

We’re 6 points above the drop and we have enough strike power to get through this season with Championship status.

Of course, maximise the sale price but realistically, £10m (hopefully with a sell on) would be really good business for us.

5 games ago when Semenyo was on a goal drought, I’d have took it in a heartbeat.

Whether it’s Bournemouth or Burnley, the move will give Semenyo a taste of Premier League football and enhance his international career, all the best to him.

• Like 1