IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

1 hour ago, Fammyfan said:

As much as it'll be gutting to see him go, this is the right time to sell.

Even if his form at the end of the season matches the form at the end of last season, a player in his last 12 months is always going to be a cut price deal.

Whilst we haven’t got Semenyo’s physical attributes in the rest of the squad, we’re getting the best out of Wells and we’ve had the emergence of Conway and Bell which has really boosted our attacking options.

We’re 6 points above the drop and we have enough strike power to get through this season with Championship status.

Of course, maximise the sale price but realistically, £10m (hopefully with a sell on) would be really good business for us.

5 games ago when Semenyo was on a goal drought, I’d have took it in a heartbeat.

Whether it’s Bournemouth or Burnley, the move will give Semenyo a taste of Premier League football and enhance his international career, all the best to him.

I wish I had your confidence about maintaining our Championship status. With the three teams in the relegation slots all significantly strengthening their squads I think it will still be a real battle to stay up.

59 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

No it isn't, particularly for the price you state. Are you part of the B'muff negotiating team?

No, I just recognise that we’re in a time of financial difficulty and that holding off until the summer will reduce his value. In summer 2022, a £10m offer would have been underwhelming but AS has been out of form most of the season, he hasn’t signed a new deal and selling is in the best interests of the club. Of course, if we can get more then great but we shouldn’t jeopardise cashing in at a time where his value is unlikely to increase without a new deal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fammyfan said:

AS has been out of form most of the season

He wasn't fit, then when he was, NP decided to keep him on the bench. I don't think it is any coincidence that after a run of games where he started he has got his mojo back. I do struggle to understand why he wasn't given a run of games earlier. Similar questions about why Cam Pring wasn't in the team. I question some of Nige's selection decisions, while accepting I don't know what goes on off the pitch.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BigTone said:

Mmmm mustard Source & roasties 

Indeed.

I have been moaned at on several occasions over the years for ordering râble de lapin (saddle of rabbit), but a dish of wild rabbit in winter, served, as you say, with roast potatoes and mashed parsnip is a delicious meal - served with a good beaujolais.

I am/was (almost) sure that it is acceptable in polite society to ‘nibble’ on the bones of a carré (rack) of lamb, but I was once almost dismissed from our dinner party and thrown out of the restaurant, when I dared to do the same when eating a delicious plate of rabbit thighs ?.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Don't really understand why some of our fans are saying we should have taken the 8 million and then the 10 million. 

Bournemouth are a premier league club with new wealthy owners. They can easily afford to meet our asking price.

Largely agree but are PL clubs paying those prices for Championship players anymore? Blip or trend...but I'm happy we rejected.

38 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I wish I had your confidence about maintaining our Championship status. With the three teams in the relegation slots all significantly strengthening their squads I think it will still be a real battle to stay up.

A 6 point gap is quite significant when considered at the bottom of the table, teams in and around the drop zone are averaging around a point a game, it’s consistently around that every season. So the way I see it is that in theory, it’s going to take 5/6 games for the bottom teams to get to where we are right now. We’re on a 5 game unbeaten run at a time where every point is another step away from the drop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

He wasn't fit, then when he was, NP decided to keep him on the bench. I don't think it is any coincidence that after a run of games where he started he has got his mojo back. I do struggle to understand why he wasn't given a run of games earlier. Similar questions about why Cam Pring wasn't in the team. I question some of Nige's selection decisions, while accepting I don't know what goes on off the pitch.

Yeah he wasn’t fully fit and as his club, we can accept that but to other clubs, he’s had his first high scoring season last year and struggled to build on it this season

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Indeed.

I have been moaned at on several occasions over the years for ordering râble de lapin (saddle of rabbit), but a dish of wild rabbit in winter, served, as you say, with roast potatoes and mashed parsnip is a delicious meal - served with a good beaujolais.

I am/was (almost) sure that it is acceptable in polite society to ‘nibble’ on the bones of a carré (rack) of lamb, but I was once almost dismissed from our dinner party and thrown out of the restaurant, when I dared to do the same when eating a delicious plate of rabbit thighs ?.

Mmmm parsnip

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Mmmm parsnip

Not sure how this relates to the original post but when you start to talk about food Big Tone this leads to no end of possibilities. The below is a nice one as well. The only problem is the dish cooks off the booze so you have to make sure you have plenty of coldies on hand while you cook the Roo. You can also wash this dish down with a nice Penfolds Bin 8 Shiraz Cab.

• 330 milliliters
    Beer
  • 500 grams
    Kangaroo Fillet (cut into cubes)
  • 300 grams
    Baby Potatoes (halved)
  • 1 bunch
    Dutch Carrots (trimmed)
  • 300 milliliters
    Water (approximately)
  • 2 cloves
    Garlic (finely chopped)
    Brown Onions (quartered)
  • 410 grams cans
    Tomatoes (whole peeled)
  • 410 grams cans
    Mushrooms (in butter Source)
  • 1 tablespoon
    Tomato Paste
  • 2 tablespoons
    Cornflour (mixed with a little water to make a slurry)
  • add
    Salt And Pepper
  • add
    Crusty Bread (or damper, to serve)
Directions
1. Heat a pot over high heat, then pour in the beer. Cook off the alcohol for a few minutes before adding the kangaroo.
2. Cook for 3-5 minutes to sear the meat, before adding the potatoes and carrots. Stir to coat. Reduce heat.
3. Pour over enough water to jus...

13 minutes ago, City oz said:

Not sure how this relates to the original post but when you start to talk about food Big Tone this leads to no end of possibilities. The below is a nice one as well. The only problem is the dish cooks off the booze so you have to make sure you have plenty of coldies on hand while you cook the Roo. You can also wash this dish down with a nice Penfolds Bin 8 Shiraz Cab.

• 330 milliliters
    Beer
  • 500 grams
  • 300 grams
    Baby Potatoes (halved)
  • 1 bunch
    Dutch Carrots (trimmed)
  • 300 milliliters
    Water (approximately)
  • 2 cloves
    Garlic (finely chopped)
    Brown Onions (quartered)
  • 410 grams cans
    Tomatoes (whole peeled)
  • 410 grams cans
  • 1 tablespoon
    Tomato Paste
  • 2 tablespoons
  • add
    Salt And Pepper
  • add
Directions
1. Heat a pot over high heat, then pour in the beer. Cook off the alcohol for a few minutes before adding the kangaroo.
2. Cook for 3-5 minutes to sear the meat, before adding the potatoes and carrots. Stir to coat. Reduce heat.

Had Roo a few times but find it a bit gamey.

Like Penfolds wine along with a good Wolf Blass.

Will be in Oz in 10 days time so looking forward to catching up on a few stubbies with my Dad.

Edited by BigTone

19 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Seriously?

Sorry, but I don't care what walk of life you are from, you look after yourself. If someone offered to 5x, or 10x your wages, you would go to that new job and if someone tried to block it you wouldn't be happy. 

Maybe the club and Semenyo have agreed a fee they would be happy to see him leave for, and there's an understanding in place, if an offer coming in matches that they wont stand in his way, but its a dangerous game for a player who knows he is 18 months away from a far better contract than he is on now. A contract this club can't and wont be able to give. 

Semenyo as a free agent can command a decent signing on fee, and a decent wage that would set him up for life, and he will have an agent making this very clear to him. If we want to play a 10 million pound game of pitch and toss, it's incredibly risky. He is not signing a new deal, and his stock and value is at it's highest now. We also need money to reinvest and I think anyone would agree keeping Scott, Conway and Pring and whatever their future values may be is better than keeping a player who 100% wont be here at the end of the season, and right now we can cash in for 10m. 

The club is pretty much skint, needs to reinvest and improve the squad and has to sell to do so. But by not selling Semenyo, we prevent that from happening. Holding out for the crown jewels is all well in good if your sat in the pound seats with a player very much under your control, (ie like Scott), but it is a dangerous game with a situation like Semenyo.

Tend to agree. Also the chance of a career ending injury is there for all players in which case both the club and player miss out on a decent pay day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I’d hazard a guess that it was to do with Tommy being on a good run at the time, and Nige not wanting to disrupt that.

If memory serves, we’ve not seen a great deal of the two of them in the same starting XI. I think we were about to were it not for Tommy getting injured. The thought of the two of them on the same pitch, in top form… sheesh. I genuinely believe that would scare the living shit out of any defence in this league. 

8 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

To be fair to Pearson, when Antoine regained fitness Wells and Conway were playing well so he had to wait his turn like everybody else.

Antoines injury record concerns me and wouldn't be surprised if that's another reason he took a long time to be fully reintroduced. Seems to get lots of niggly injuries that hang about longer than everybody would like...

My gut feel is he will go this window, my concern is that if he does go we actually need two players to replace him. A striker for when we play with 2 up front and also a winger for when we go with 3, I'm not sure there's many players out there like Antoine that can do both!

Loved watching him last few weeks, arguably our only player who gets bums off seats, when he gets the ball on halfway you just want him to back himself and beat his msn which has been happening more and more as confidence rockets

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Had Roo a few times but find it a bit gamey.

Like Penfolds wine along with a good Wolf Blass.

Will be in Oz in 10 days time so looking forward to catching up on a few stubbies with my Dad.

Why are people talking about Antoine on this thread? 

Tone, Wolf Blass Yellow Label was my benchmark in the late 80s/early 90s for a good, reliable Cabernet Sauvignon.

When WB started sponsoring cricket teams, that was the start of their demise. About 15 years ago, I did a blind taste test on Sainsburys Taste The Difference CabSauv (same region) and WB Yellow Label. The latter was so awful in comparison and never bought 

However, last year I thought for old time sake let's revisit Yellow Label. Wow! It's back to being my benchmark again! Even their Chardonnay is interesting and tasty (more minerally than other aussie Chardonnays...if minerally is a thing/word).

Penfolds is great as well. 

No doubt someone is going to hijack this threadand talk about Antoine again.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Don't really understand why some of our fans are saying we should have taken the 8 million and then the 10 million. 

Bournemouth are a premier league club with new wealthy owners. They can easily afford to meet our asking price.

But is it a fair price these days? Trossard has just moved for £21M. Is AS worth £15M as a comparison?

32 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Home grown premium, age, desperation of buying club, strength of position of selling club all at play in any valuation. Two cloned players in two different situations will be valued differently. 

Indeed. People sometimes pay over the odds in all walks of life.

3 hours ago, City oz said:

• 330 milliliters
    Beer
  • 500 grams
  • 300 grams
    Baby Potatoes (halved)
  • 1 bunch
    Dutch Carrots (trimmed)
  • 300 milliliters
    Water (approximately)
  • 2 cloves
    Garlic (finely chopped)
    Brown Onions (quartered)
  • 410 grams cans
    Tomatoes (whole peeled)
  • 410 grams cans
  • 1 tablespoon
    Tomato Paste
  • 2 tablespoons
  • add
    Salt And Pepper
  • add
Directions

And this sums up why Semenyo should stay. Does he really think the AFC Bournemouth online forum will provide him with this high a level of public service content? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Doesn’t mean they will though if they see better value elsewhere. 

• Like 1

City don’t need to sell. The willing buyer and willing seller applies. 

The press conference yesterday at one point alluded to the Bournemouth interest was leaked to the press in order to undermine the position of Bristol City by unsettling the player. This could be done by a number of interested parties for a number of reasons, none of them being advantageous to Bristol City. 

However the Burnley bid was alluded to in a different light as it was kept between clubs. 

Semenyo would be nuts to go to Bournemouth. The pressure he would be under to get goal’s immediately would be huge. However Burnley I would suggest is a better move. Nevertheless I wouldn’t rule out another club coming in. Either way right now there is not so much pressure on Bristol City particularly with Kalas coming in. 

Just now, REDOXO said:

City don’t need to sell. The willing buyer and willing seller applies. 

The press conference yesterday at one point alluded to the Bournemouth interest was leaked to the press in order to undermine the position of Bristol City by unsettling the player. This could be done by a number of interested parties for a number of reasons, none of them being advantageous to Bristol City. 

However the Burnley bid was alluded to in a different light as it was kept between clubs. 

Semenyo would be nuts to go to Bournemouth. The pressure he would be under to get goal’s immediately would be huge. However Burnley I would suggest is a better move. Nevertheless I wouldn’t rule out another club coming in. Either way right now there is not so much pressure on Bristol City particularly with Kalas coming in. 

Would it be nuts to accept 50k a week on a 3 or 4 year contract? Seems fairly rational to me 

13 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes to you it might! To a very hot property with options that don’t have to include going into a relegation haunted team to become the savior it might not. 

So if Burnley offered half the salary, for example, would they still be the better option? Money talks 

7 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

So if Burnley offered half the salary, for example, would they still be the better option? Money talks 

I know it’s an example you’ve given, but money doesn’t always talk, and it’s more than possible that the wages being offered by one club over another.  Plus let’s not forget Burnley’s offer could include a promotion increase, and Bournemouth’s include a relegation 

Going back to your example, I’d choose Burnley. ??‍♂️

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Oh put words in people’s mouths for the sake of the last word. Good lad! 

This 50k of which you speak I guess is the speculation that I’ve read about his purported wages offer. :laugh:! If Bournemouth were relegated do you really think his contact would not reflect that he may not be on that in the Championship. Just a thought! 

As for Burnley who knows what wages they would offer it’s not even been speculated on until now. However let’s be frank to not go up from here will be a stroke of anti genius! 

Lots to consider for those concerned and lots to speculate on by others!

• Like 1