IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

57 minutes ago, RedRock said:

As much as I disliked Mark Ashton he did, in the most part, know when to sell a player to maximise value. The fact he then spiffed the money away on overpriced, overpaid players and left LJ in the lurch sometimes due to timing of sales in the transfer window is another matter.

I hope that Mr Gould hasn’t missed peak value on Semenyo. Could be a very expensive mistake. 

He sold a small number of players (versus how many he brought I ) for top dollar in an inflationary market.  He sold (or let go) more players for shit money than he did good money. Imho.

He did take advantage of Kodjia, Reid, Bryan, Flint, Webster and Brownhill.  But he a number at low values / free too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If Semenjo doesn’t go, and consequently doesn’t get a big pay rise, he could be a bit grumpy.  This is what we want. Remember when Devon Malcolm was hit on the head batting against South Africa. He said “You guys are history” and took 9 for 57 when South Africa batted. 

4 minutes ago, !james said:

Looks like it if Burnley and Bournemouth have signed decided to go for other options!

I am not seeing anything at this point to suggest there are any other clubs interested although, of course, still a week to go and things could change.

More than happy if he stays but I have a small concern about how he will react to losing out, at least for the moment, on the widely reported £50k per week.

There always is the  possibility that he and his agent decide to sit tight and he walks for nothing in 18 months and straight into the alleged £50k per week plus a huge signing on fee.

That is a long way off and lots can change between now and then but it is a possibility. 

5 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I am not seeing anything at this point to suggest there are any other clubs interested although, of course, still a week to go and things could change.

More than happy if he stays but I have a small concern about how he will react to losing out, at least for the moment, on the widely reported £50k per week.

There always is the  possibility that he and his agent decide to sit tight and he walks for nothing in 18 months and straight into the alleged £50k per week plus a huge signing on fee.

That is a long way off and lots can change between now and then but it is a possibility. 

Strong possibility I reckon, given clubs seem to be making their minds up earlier about sitting players in the last year of their contracts if they’re not signing.

The summer could be a really difficult one.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He sold a small number of players (versus how many he brought I ) for top dollar in an inflationary market.  He sold (or let go) more players for shit money than he did good money. Imho.

He did take advantage of Kodjia, Reid, Bryan, Flint, Webster and Brownhill.  But he a number at low values / free too.

Dave, you forgot to mention "taking advantage" of Lloyd Kelly - a largely second team/youth player.

But , hey, why not let £14million (ish) get in the way of a good story?

Stats is your thing so 'let's be 'aving you' !

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Dave, you forgot to mention "taking advantage" of Lloyd Kelly - a largely second team/youth player.

It’s one on top of 6, which makes 7.  I’ll not lose any sleep over forgetting one.

Maybe I didn’t include it because of the pure egotistical nature of doing the transfer in May and including it in 2019’s accounts to “force” a profit (and undoubtedly a nice bonus)…that actually made FFP more difficult to achieve this season? ?

(on a digression anyone see Darren Jones MP and others rip into Royal Mail CEO re his bonus and how he changed the targets on what it was decided?  He reminded me very much of Mr Ashton-Wanchor)

There are still dozens more he didn’t make money on, for all the credit of “the great negotiator” he is made out to be.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s one on top of 6, which makes 7.  I’ll not lose any sleep over forgetting one.

Maybe I didn’t include it because of the pure egotistical nature of doing the transfer in May and including it in 2019’s accounts to “force” a profit (and undoubtedly a nice bonus)…that actually made FFP more difficult to achieve this season? ?

(on a digression anyone see Darren Jones MP and others rip into Royal Mail CEO re his bonus and how he changed the targets on what it was decided?  He reminded me very much of Mr Ashton-Wanchor)

There are still dozens more he didn’t make money on, for all the credit of “the great negotiator” he is made out to be.

Dave, perhaps you could persuade the mods to pin your analysis of the accounts over the relevant period?

Only it gets a bit tedious to have to repeatedly explain the financial disaster Ashton presided over, apparently with Steve's blessing, to those who still don't or won't get it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, and also, getting good transfer fees in for our best young players wasnt exactly difficult to do pre covid, especially when any fees were undoubtedly set in conjunction with lansdown who was covering the bills and could afford to set a high price tag if he wanted to. The signings made under his watch were largely shambolic and should have resulted in ashton never working in the professional game again in my opinion!

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

Yeah, and also, getting good transfer fees in for our best young players wasnt exactly difficult to do pre covid, especially when any fees were undoubtedly set in conjunction with lansdown who was covering the bills and could afford to set a high price tag if he wanted to. The signings made under his watch were largely shambolic and should have resulted in ashton never working in the professional game again in my opinion!

He certainly shouldn't have control over all day to day football activities as he did here. Though he seems to have the same power at Ipswich, astonishingly.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dave-  quoting stuff is all well and good but surely, surely leaving out the second biggest transfer fee in our history and the biggest ever profit cannot be  put down to "forgetting one"?

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Dave-  quoting stuff is all well and good but surely, surely leaving out the second biggest transfer fee in our history and the biggest ever profit cannot be  put down to "forgetting one"?

Quite an acceptable thing to do is to forget something.  Happens to us all.  Sometimes you can get a point / opinion across using some examples rather than list every case….or even use the term “a number” when there are too many to list individually.  What do you think?  Acceptable?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Quite an acceptable thing to do is to forget something.  Happens to us all.  Sometimes you can get a point / opinion across using some examples rather than list every case….or even use the term “a number” when there are too many to list individually.  What do you think?  Acceptable?

Absolutely!

Albeit that if my Accountant forgot to mention £14 million in my accounts - I might be a tad disappointed!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

3 (if you include Kelly) academy players, one legacy player from SOD, and two who we know are absolutely "LJ picks". Doesn't say much about the smarmy that's recruitment at all.

He sold the crown jewels, spunked millions on dross and allegedly lined the pockets of agent mates in the process.

Mark Ashton is the single worst thing to happen to this club since 10 year contracts almost killed us.

I hate the slimeball shit. 

Jeremy Clarkson would be proud of you.

Ashton and the Kelly timing, profit wise vanity wise etc.

Surely SL would have been a contributing factor there, he after all spoke of a certain level of pride about finally recording a profit in the 2019 interview. Allegedly benefiting from the transfers is something else entirely.

Money spent, I'm a bit jury out on. Some of them had significant injuries for ones one or more medium term- bad luck. More than a few actually.

Then there was the question of whether Johnson had a consistent and coherent tactical structure. Jury out again at times! Player such as Nagy, Massengo, when fit Walsh better suited to a CM 3 IMO, Williams in a higher line not a good match, Henriksen also probably a 3, Weimann wise right I could go on really but don't think we got the best out of a range we did sign- mix of questionable strategy, injuries and ability.

Hegeler, Djuric and Diedhiou to name 3 all had medium term and perhaps longer injuries in 2017-18. O'Dowda too when he was absolutely flying in November 2017- real strong form albeit a shortish period.

Not excusing Ashton, we traded far too many players but aspects of it feel more nuanced than one or two to blame- lots to go around really.

Luck. Within 6 weeks of the season Afobe was our for months, DaSilva for half a season, Kalas and Nagy medium term injuries.

A host of injuries in 2017-18, Mawson having significant injuries in his loan here, lots.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

My gut feel is a nasty error on this one. I fully expect that Semenyo will not be sold this window now, and we will regret turning down 10m. 

Reckon in the summer the offers will be 4-5m of which we wont want to take, but clubs will know they can sign him for free in the summer.

Full expect him to leave on a free at the end of next season, or we take 4-5m in the summer to prevent a Famara / Massengo situation, but it's Maynard all over again. Should have been sold to Bournemouth. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In respedt of Sememyo, player valuation  is so hard to gauge isn't it.

I read Alvarez joined Man City for a fee of £14m last January. How does £15m for Semenyo look in that context! Then again as per one report, Souttar to Leicester £15m, Souttar slightly > Alvarez!

But he has 18 months left, one good season, in and out this year. 10m now is basically like 15m pre covid. Come the summer we will heavily regret turning down 10m, and will have to sell cheap to prevent him leaving for free.

38 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

My gut feel is a nasty error on this one. I fully expect that Semenyo will not be sold this window now, and we will regret turning down 10m. 

Reckon in the summer the offers will be 4-5m of which we wont want to take, but clubs will know they can sign him for free in the summer.

Full expect him to leave on a free at the end of next season, or we take 4-5m in the summer to prevent a Famara / Massengo situation, but it's Maynard all over again. Should have been sold to Bournemouth. 

add a Dasilva & Kalas to this list too and Bents if the move to Wolves falls through

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Keeping him and turning down bigger money is still better than selling him and not having a replacement. Cost of relegation is larger than the cost of turning down £10m. 

We will have Massengo, Bentley, kalas, JD wages off the books in the summer, our financial situation will be far far better and have much more leeway to sign quality. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Kelly made 32 league appearances at 19 in the season we sold him, so he wasn’t a “second team” player, either.

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Keeping him and turning down bigger money is still better than selling him and not having a replacement. Cost of relegation is larger than the cost of turning down £10m. 

We will have Massengo, Bentley, kalas, JD wages off the books in the summer, our financial situation will be far far better and have much more leeway to sign quality. 

What happens, happens.

Bet those who said we should have sold him to Bournemouth last week would have been all over OTIB on Saturday night if we had lost 1-0 as a result saying it was ridiculous to let him go with no replacement, Conway & Weimann injured, etc, etc..

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

TBH, I think we are giving ourselves some breathing space now from relegation. Since Nige stopped tinkering and played players in their positions and scrapped his 3/5/2 - 5/3/2, we have been far better and look a mid table team. I think there are 3/4 teams who are a lot worse than us, and therefore I don't see us in a relegation dog fight anymore, I see us in a mid table playing for nothing situation. Losing Semenyo would not affect that, and the money could be better utilised in positions we NEED cover and players. 

2 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

TBH, I think we are giving ourselves some breathing space now from relegation. Since Nige stopped tinkering and played players in their positions and scrapped his 3/5/2 - 5/3/2, we have been far better and look a mid table team. I think there are 3/4 teams who are a lot worse than us, and therefore I don't see us in a relegation dog fight anymore, I see us in a mid table playing for nothing situation. Losing Semenyo would not affect that, and the money could be better utilised in positions we NEED cover and players. 

Semenyo has scored 4 in 4 league games during this positive run…it would absolutely affect it, especially with Conway out for 2 months. 

What positions would you try and strengthen out of interest?

• Like 4