IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

7 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

No disrespect intended, but i disagree completely (i guess that's what a forum is all about).

We'd be attempting to 'raid' which ever club we could to try to get the best players we felt could help save our PL status - and we'd be trying to do it for as cheap as posible (or at least i hope we would). 

I don't believe for one second there would be any sort of principles of honour or lost sleep from City for trying to take the best talent from lower divisions if we were in Bournemouths position. 

In fact, i would prefer we did that (if it meant we could get the best players that improved us/could develop) rather than we spend larger sums of money on players in the PL/from abroad.

All clubs would do the same. That's just football and business. 

I understand reality. I've been a corporate lawyer for ten years, I know just what business is and how the capitalist dog-eat-dog world works.

However, I put it to you that this attitude, this historic modus operandi, this is why football is in the state it is and why we are where we are. Where clubs can exploit loopholes in financial controls, cherry pick bright talents from lower clubs half way through a season, and generally do what they will because they have deeper pockets (whether in real terms or on paper), smarter lawyers and accountants, and are immune from any backlash. Football is not the same as other industries. Clubs do not exist in a vacuum and the whole pyramid operates as an ecosystem despite rivalries and competition. If any part of that system becomes too dominant or too weak, the whole system suffers.

This isn't the thread for the full argument, and I apologise to those who came here for pure Semenyo-related news. I'll shut up now.

However - it can change.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’d have to rewatch it but it struck me as academy rather than new signing for some reason. Obviously he went on to speak about new signings. 

I've not watched it yet, but if we are hinting at replacing Semenyo with an academy player, well that's a big ask.

We have to consider that Conway looks like he is out for a long while. Bell is only just making the step up, which I'm sure we would recognise him as being a long way off a consistant Championship player. That leaves basically Wells and Weimann, Weimann especially has picked up injuries lately and not bagged the goals he has previous, for obvious reasons. 

Martin has disappeared?! Our league position isn't that great, would only take another dip and we are sucked in again.

So yes, if an academy player is being lined up, he had better bloody well be good...and if he is that good why don't we already know about him?

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I understand reality. I've been a corporate lawyer for ten years, I know just what business is and how the capitalist dog-eat-dog world works.

However, I put it to you that this attitude, this historic modus operandi, this is why football is in the state it is and why we are where we are. Where clubs can exploit loopholes in financial controls, cherry pick bright talents from lower clubs half way through a season, and generally do what they will because they have deeper pockets (whether in real terms or on paper), smarter lawyers and accountants, and are immune from any backlash. Football is not the same as other industries. Clubs do not exist in a vacuum and the whole pyramid operates as an ecosystem despite rivalries and competition. If any part of that system becomes too dominant or too weak, the whole system suffers.

This isn't the thread for the full argument, and I apologise to those who came here for pure Semenyo-related news. I'll shut up now.

However - it can change.

You rest your case then? ?

• Haha 1

Just listening to Nige now, and he confirmed we're after someone, and on a permanent and need to see in the next couple of days how that goes.

Strikes me that we're possibly quite advanced in any deal, firstly for him to be so openly honest, and secondly that 'a couple of days' could be enough time to arrange medical/personal terms, if an approach and fee was already in discussion

• Like 1

There is one factor in all this that no one has yet mentioned when speculating about the value of any potential transfer that you can't put a price on, the sell-on percentage.

Might be a 'we'll give you 9mil and include a 30% sell on clause relating to any future profit, or £10mil and a 20% sell-on...'

Can't put a value on that as you've no idea if the player will get sold on, and if they do, will it be at a profit. Could be worth nothing, could be worth loads. 

• Like 2

The club aren’t dumb, there’s no way in hell they are thinking an academy player plugs the gap and nothing else. The fact we’re letting Semenyo go after a week of this dragging on, plus Pearson mentioning there’s basically an offer on the cards for someone else already, suggests me that they’re pretty confident that something will be done in the next few days. 

Queue Diony announced at HT on Saturday. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

However - it can change.

I can't disagree with your frustration, but the business of football is all about greed and wealth (whether that's financial, status or obtaining the best players). 

It'll never change (or enough) to make it more sustainable for the lower leagues because there's too much greed for making the PL the best.  The whole sport is driven by getting to the top, stepping on others to get there and being rewarded for it. 

If i'm honest, it's difficult for me to complain about what's fair or unfair when being on the receiving end, when i know our club would do the same.

Like you say, i'm sure it could change - anything can - but those in charge wouldn't want it to, or would make it impossible if it meant damaging the brand financially.

• Like 1

Crystal Palace potential hijack

Bristol Live understands Crystal Palace have attempted a late hijack on Bournemouth's deal to sign Semenyo but they have had little success.

Perhaps a factor is that it's too little, too late after City gave them ample opportunity to make their move this morning following Bournemouth's third and final offer.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RedM said:

I've not watched it yet, but if we are hinting at replacing Semenyo with an academy player, well that's a big ask.

We have to consider that Conway looks like he is out for a long while. Bell is only just making the step up, which I'm sure we would recognise him as being a long way off a consistant Championship player. That leaves basically Wells and Weimann, Weimann especially has picked up injuries lately and not bagged the goals he has previous, for obvious reasons. 

Martin has disappeared?! Our league position isn't that great, would only take another dip and we are sucked in again.

So yes, if an academy player is being lined up, he had better bloody well be good...and if he is that good why don't we already know about him?

We're not.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I can't disagree with your frustration, but the business of football is all about greed and wealth (whether that's financial, status or obtaining the best players). 

It'll never change (or enough) to make it more sustainable for the lower leagues because there's too much greed for making the PL the best.  The whole sport is driven by getting to the top, stepping on others to get there and being rewarded for it. 

If i'm honest, it's difficult for me to complain about what's fair or unfair when being on the receiving end, when i know our club would do the same.

Like you say, i'm sure it could change - anything can - but those in charge wouldn't want it to, or would make it impossible if it meant damaging the brand financially.

It might change - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64411515

Honestly, we can pick this up on another thread.

35 minutes ago, RedM said:

Admittedly I was working while listening, but the particular part I think I’m referring to was about Saturdays game against West Brom. I’m sure he alluded to us seeing new faces - but it was outside of the transfer talk section if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Admittedly I was working while listening, but the particular part I think I’m referring to was about Saturdays game against West Brom. I’m sure he alluded to us seeing new faces - but it was outside of the transfer talk section if that makes sense. 

That would make sense.

I believe we are just waiting for the announcement, Semenyo has all but gone and therefore wont be available to play on Saturday.

Possibly if we do bring a player in he either might not sign in time or just as likely be cup tied. Therefore we are looking to the academy to make up the bench I would guess.

Just as Bournemouth can be attractive to a championship player on the up, we too must look a good prospect to a league one player looking to make the step up too. Such is football. 

I just hope we have someone in place, Semenyo will be a loss. If we don't get someone in before the window shuts, and Nigel doesn't like loans then it really is fingers crossed for the rest of the season. I don't know if we have enough in the squad if we take out the injured and out of favour players?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

New faces bit was interesting. I took it to mean we’re going to see an academy player on the bench who we’ve not yet seen. 

Undoubtedly the case.

In the press conference Pearson says Pring is suspended (he was booked in both ties v Swansea, I had no idea that rule applied) so with him & Antoine not playing, Weimann not available that means we are already 2 down, assuming the new keeper replaces Bentley.

You can have 9 on the bench in the cup, but we have only had 7 in both Swansea games so would need to find 2 new players just to even have that number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2