IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

25 minutes ago, Vidal said:

Don’t understand fans moaning about the price….he has an average goal scoring record, he has 1.5 years on contract so not tied down, and injury prone. At this level he is a good player but big step up. 

I said this about Semenyo and Scott, our fans seem to think we can just demand what we value them at and get that money, that's not how it works.
I'm surprised we've taken £9 when we've had a £10m bid before now, however chances are that we're either getting a better sell on clause or I wonder if they have some sort of relegation fee they will pay if they come down into the Championship? Whatever it is I don't beleive the club are doing bad business, Semenyo has tons of potential but he's still not show himself to be a consistent scorer and he'll have to step his game up, £9m for a Championship striker isn't a cheap buy by any means.

I'm only concerned if we've not got someone lined up to bring in, even if it's just a loan.

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

I said this about Semenyo and Scott, our fans seem to think we can just demand what we value them at and get that money, that's not how it works.

In theory we can. A player's worth is their value to the club. That's why comparisons between different transfers is often pointless. 

I'm surprised we've taken £9 when we've had a £10m bid before now,

We haven't it was 8+2 and now it's 9+?

however chances are that we're either getting a better sell on clause or I wonder if they have some sort of relegation fee they will pay if they come down into the Championship? Whatever it is I don't beleive the club are doing bad business, Semenyo has tons of potential but he's still not show himself to be a consistent scorer and he'll have to step his game up, £9m for a Championship striker isn't a cheap buy by any means.

I'm only concerned if we've not got someone lined up to bring in, even if it's just a loan.

Sounds lke we might have, hopefully

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£9m plus add-ons sounds a bit derisory tbh. Of course those add-ons could be very easy to hit, devil is in the detail but the initial fee yes is a bit derisory.

But nobody knows the details , plus that’s if £9m is actually correct . The only people who know are within the clubs. 
Also, transfers are usually in instalments. Bournemouth may have offered a bigger upfront payment than before 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'm surprised we've taken £9 when we've had a £10m bid before now, however chances are that we're either getting a better sell on clause or I wonder if they have some sort of relegation fee they will pay if they come down into the Championship? Whatever it is I don't beleive the club are doing bad business, Semenyo has tons of potential but he's still not show himself to be a consistent scorer and he'll have to step his game up, £9m for a Championship striker isn't a cheap buy by any means.

Appearance based add-ons that are decent and easy to achieve might help boost it too.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Could we potentially be stuck in a situation where Semenyo will hold off as long as possible to see if Palace come back with another bid?

Yep, if he doesn't want to go to Bournemouth we can't force him. His agent might be telling him that Palace will come back in for him in the summer and to wait til then 

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

But nobody knows the details , plus that’s if £9m is actually correct . The only people who know are within the clubs. 
Also, transfers are usually in instalments. Bournemouth may have offered a bigger upfront payment than before 

I've  asked this before but not sure if anyone knew exactly. If the fee is 9mil +, does that 9 mil come off our debt or would it be just the 1st instalment, whatever that may be, that we could show in our balance sheet.?

24 minutes ago, Spike said:

Could be numerous reasons, the most likely is that the sell on clause is better and therefore increased money long term, also could be…..

- we have a deal we really want to do and need him to go before hand

- we have a Bournemouth player who we can only get if semenyo goes there 

- player has started to cause problems (unlikely)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marmite said:

I've  asked this before but not sure if anyone knew exactly. If the fee is 9mil +, does that 9 mil come off our debt or would it be just the 1st instalment, whatever that may be, that we could show in our balance sheet.?

FFP balances completely disregard the instalments in which a transfer fee is paid. For the sake of FFP the whole fee is divided by the contract length.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, marmite said:

Not really sure how it works . Could it be possible we get £9m up front ? 
Possibly say 60% to appease ffp & 40% to reinvest in the squad now. Not that we’ll ever find out but as someone who has the brain the size of a walnut when it comes to finance , it quite interesting . 

22 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Sssshh! Don't let facts get in the way of a good story! 

If it's repeated enough on here, it'll soon be accepted as 'FACT' - even though, like you said none of us will know the details.

I remember a few years back in one of the many thread about how much players get paid, a poster being quite confident in their knowledge of the weekly salary of a player as 'a steward had told him' - because obviously, if you're entering in to complex contract arrangements, you need with you your agent, possibly a contracts legal, yourself and, err, someone who works for an agency for 4 hours every other Saturday and wears a high-viz jacket.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I'm not confused by your statement, just perplexed by the SL/JL reasoning…

We'll probably never know for sure. However, Hughton is alleged to have interviewed poorly according to Ashton. Turned up and tried to wing it.

Paul Cook was ruled out as he has some "personal issues" shall we say. A big reason why he is now managing in the National League, despite having a very good record in the football league.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Didn’t get the bite he was after so quoted his own post to try again.. I respect it in a way, the unrelenting commitment to being an arse…………..:cool:

You'd think people who have better stuff to do would not post stuff like that. But when they do, It means they really don't have anything better to do... 

It gives me some peace of mind I'm nothing like that ?

Edited by Sturny

34 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Could we potentially be stuck in a situation where Semenyo will hold off as long as possible to see if Palace come back with another bid?

I would if I was him. That way he has a chance of move to London and a much better chance of being a PL player next season and beyond. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We'll probably never know for sure. However, Hughton is alleged to have interviewed poorly according to Ashton. Turned up and tried to wing it.

Paul Cook was ruled out as he has some "personal issues" shall we say. A big reason why he is now managing in the National League, despite having a very good record in the football league.

anyone who had to work with MA would end up with 'issues'

Well done all concerned.

Reckon, all things considered, and once confirmed, this is a positive and solid outcome for all concerned.

AS - gets a chance to step up a level, earn much more and continue to flourish.

BCFC - get a decent wedge, some of which can strengthen the team overall some of which settles our FFP issues.

Bournemouth - get a young forward who has the opportunity to make an impact in a struggling team.

It’s rumoured to be £9 million plus unspecified add ins which surely will include a sell on clause.

AS certainly has potential but for me blows hot and cold, if he can develop into a consistent player he will progress beyond AFC Bournemouth.

Attention now turns to who we can bring in to strengthen the team overall, hoping for at least a couple of new faces.

Interesting reflection on the changing nature of transfer fees, when looking back at the fees we received for example for Webster and Kelly especially as forwards generally attract a premium.

• Like 4

£9m is disappointing to me as I was expecting £12m as an absolute minimum as decent forwards have always been more expensive than defenders and midfielders in the main. When you consider what we got for Lloyd Kelly and Josh Brownhill, I am quite surprised.

Clearly Antoinne wants to test himself at a higher level and of course wages will naturally be a big factor too.  I wish him well with his new club and internationally and will be keeping an eye on his progress.

Whilst he has potential, he is not yet the finished product and of course had we been able to keep him, we could have found ourselves with a player with a long term injury a few games further down the road and potentially worthless from a financial perspective.

It will be interesting to see how much of that money we invest in a new forward as he will not be easy to replace.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Best of luck to the lad. Come on leaps and bounds the last 18 months. Still annoys me though that we are a selling club to a poxy little club like Bournemouth.

Yep- I remember back in the late 80's going to an away  game at Bournemouth. The rain was coming down horizontally so just before kick off the stewards moved us to a covered area having moved out the home fans. I thought that was class.

Years later a group of Bournemouth fans came to BS3 with buckets collecting cash to help save their club from liquidation and I think BCFC fans were quite supportive.

So now- we are selling our best players to this"little club" whilst we are looking over our shoulder about the "R" word.

However poxy- how positions have changed. It boils my hiss that despite everything, we are where we are and the Brightons Brentfords and Bournemouth's are where they are.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2