IGNORED

Jubilee - long serving City fans

MattWSM

59 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I was at that one. My first Rovers game was 73/74 season, then I had  season or 2 of going to both, firstly with my dad and then his work colleagues. I always supported the away side  when I went to Ashton though,. My dad wasn't interested in football, he just took me because he knew I loved it and none of my family are from Bristol, so I have no idea why I always disliked City, the only explanation I can think of is, being brought up in Oldbury Court, pretty much everyone was Rovers and I was going along with the crowd.

All THREE of them ? ?

• Haha 1

City v Spurs Jan 79

I was 8 - Im sure the game was on match of the day as well to see Gerry gow booked ? I was in the children’s enclosure 

Fairly sure it’s the biggest crowd I’ve been in at the gate as well.Spurs had ossie in the side not sure about ricki villa?

I can remember from getting off the bus at temple meads with my dad and walking along the cut past all the spurs fans singing songs in the pub where the Peugeot showroom was.

I know the game was shite but hooked for life with everything about football- crowds/singing/swearing- absolutely proper mind - I wish there was YouTube so I could watch it again.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the actual game but it would have been in 1950, when I was 11 years old .  I am now 82 years old ....so 71 years ago !. In my mind I can still picture Ivor Guy and Jack Bailey , the fullbacks, Ernie Peacock in midfield ; Arnie Rodgers ( C/F ) and Alex Eisenstrager on the right wing .  I wonder how many of the current squad  will be remembered by fans 70 years from now ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Victory Park Reds said:

City v Spurs Jan 79

I was 8 - Im sure the game was on match of the day as well to see Gerry gow booked ? I was in the children’s enclosure 

Fairly sure it’s the biggest crowd I’ve been in at the gate as well.Spurs had ossie in the side not sure about ricki villa?

I can remember from getting off the bus at temple meads with my dad and walking along the cut past all the spurs fans singing songs in the pub where the Peugeot showroom was.

I know the game was shite but hooked for life with everything about football- crowds/singing/swearing- absolutely proper mind - I wish there was YouTube so I could watch it again.

I`m pretty sure Ricky Villa did play. The pitch was frozen but to see him you`d never have known - it was like he had skates on and just glided about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shireman said:

Unfortunately, I can't remember the actual game but it would have been in 1950, when I was 11 years old .  I am now 82 years old ....so 71 years ago !. In my mind I can still picture Ivor Guy and Jack Bailey , the fullbacks, Ernie Peacock in midfield ; Arnie Rodgers ( C/F ) and Alex Eisenstrager on the right wing .  I wonder how many of the current squad  will be remembered by fans 70 years from now ?

Great! Another one who started in 1950.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shireman said:

I wonder how many of the current squad  will be remembered by fans 70 years from now ?

Well, nowadays, any really good player will only be here for one season/sold at the next transfer window, while the average and the rubbish players will be here for considerably longer. So not as many as years gone by when players played for years and years, and clubs held the whip.

On 06/06/2022 at 13:50, Miah Dennehy said:

I was at that one. My first Rovers game was 73/74 season, then I had  season or 2 of going to both, firstly with my dad and then his work colleagues. I always supported the away side  when I went to Ashton though,. My dad wasn't interested in football, he just took me because he knew I loved it and none of my family are from Bristol, so I have no idea why I always disliked City, the only explanation I can think of is, being brought up in Oldbury Court, pretty much everyone was Rovers and I was going along with the crowd.

@Miah Dennehy

You are just a beginner at Eastville. My Dad, a City fan, took me, I'm almost ashamed to admit, in February 1950 to Eastville for you game against Crystal Palace.

We stood on the Muller Road mud bank, before it was terraced, and got soaking wet and kept sliding downhill in the mud. Dad took me home to get dry and warm. Mum got my only pair of shoes dry for school on Monday.

In March we went to the Mem to see Bristol Rugby and then on Good Friday for the first time, to the hallowed ground at Ashton Gate.

Well done to get promotion. You sure brown envelopes did not change hands with Scunthorpe the recipients?