IGNORED

Tour De France 2022

Lanterne Rouge

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Fabulous win. To do a 60k solo breakaway on a stage like that is phenomenal.

Indeed. I’m pleased for Jungels after his injuries and being ditched by QuickStep, and for the breakaway.

I’d like to know what happened with Pogacar’s group on that final climb, because they ate around a minute out of Pinot.

On 04/07/2022 at 20:45, tin said:

Definitely. I’m fortunate enough to have ridden most of the French Cols. The Tourmalet was great last week, although the headwind are the top was a bitch! 

We weren’t far from Siestriere in 2019, when we went over the Telegraphe, Galibier and down to Briançon on the Route de Grande Alps but pressed on to Col de Vars and the Izoard. 

Proper jealous

• Thanks 1

On 08/07/2022 at 18:29, Harry said:

Yeah he was up there again today til the very end. His Tour of Swiss form was maybe better than lots thought. However, we’ve not hit any true mountains yet so he might still fade yet. 

Someone mentioned earlier about not really being able to warm to Pogacar. I’ve always felt the same with Thomas actually. I’ve never really particularly disliked him but don’t really like him all that much, if that makes sense. 

You should read his book, properly hilarious in places. He seems a nice guy. I would tip him for a podium + stage win double, were I a gambling man.

On 08/07/2022 at 20:57, tin said:

I’ve never known a pro rider crash as often as Thomas.  

Richie Porte wants a word

On 10/07/2022 at 00:02, TonyTonyTony said:

Almost certainly the worst “sport” there is. Cheating is endemic. You may as well watch the national lottery draw

Whereas athletics is clean...

Cycling is the single most tested sport there is. Sure, not clean, but a lot cleaner than, say,...football.

• Like 2

On 11/07/2022 at 08:01, SecretSam said:

Proper jealous

Don't you mean "Super jealous"?

Every interview seems to include "Super" something!

Super grateful (Jungles), super happy (Van Aert), super happy (Pogacar).

Maybe I'm being  super critical!!!!

?

What a day at Le Tour. There were amazing rides everywhere from riders at different stages of their careers. Obviously the ride of the day goes to Vingegaard who, with the help of his Jumbo Visma team, blew Pogacar away to take the yellow Jersey. But there was also the rides of Barguil, Bardet and the comeback boys of Qintana (showing his early season form was no fluke) and Thomas (showing that his Tour de Suisse victory was no fluke either). Special mention too goes to Adam Yates and Tom Pidcock riding his first grand tour and still getting to grips with road cycling. 

• Like 2

Wow. Superb stage. Best for a long long time. A true battle. 
The fact they started attacking Pog from 60k out whilst still on the Telegraphe was amazing. Great teamwork. Attack after attack, wearing Pog and his team down. And he paid for it on the last climb. 
That’s the kind of stage you can usually only dream of, with everything normally so controlled nowadays. A real throw-back. 

I’ve no doubt that Pog is not finished and this sets it up beautifully for him to have to now attack Jumbo Visma. Prepare yourself for a few more spectacular stages I reckon!! He won’t sit back. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Wow. Superb stage. Best for a long long time. A true battle. 
The fact they started attacking Pog from 60k out whilst still on the Telegraphe was amazing. Great teamwork. Attack after attack, wearing Pog and his team down. And he paid for it on the last climb. 
That’s the kind of stage you can usually only dream of, with everything normally so controlled nowadays. A real throw-back. 

I’ve no doubt that Pog is not finished and this sets it up beautifully for him to have to now attack Jumbo Visma. Prepare yourself for a few more spectacular stages I reckon!! He won’t sit back. 

Depends how Pog recovers and I wonder if he might have the virus after a few UAE boys went down with it.

Assuming he doesn’t lose any more time, he should be able to reclaim that two minutes on Vingegaard in the time trial — but that’s a while off yet. 

Sensational stage today. I don’t think we can expect the same fireworks tomorrow. I expect a few of them to pay for today’s efforts tomorrow. Game on.

Edited by tin

1 hour ago, tin said:

Depends how Pog recovers and I wonder if he might have the virus after a few UAE boys went down with it.

Assuming he doesn’t lose any more time, he should be able to reclaim that two minutes on Vingegaard in the time trial — but that’s a while off yet. 

Sensational stage today. I don’t think we can expect the same fireworks tomorrow. I expect a few of them to pay for today’s efforts tomorrow. Game on.

Yep. All about the recovery now. Ahead of a brutal stage tomorrow.  UAE obviously very much weakened now, but you now wonder if Bardet and/or Ineos might try a few things now - it’s blown wide open now so other teams might be more willing to attack and think “we can do this now”. 

• Hmmm 1

Wow! What a ride from Tom Pidcock. Winning on Alp d'Huez on Bastiile Day to put himself in the top 10.The last two days have shown that this Grand Tour rookie can now call himself a road racer. 

Great rides to from Chris Froome, finally getting back to form, and Geraint Thomas who gets himself onto the GC podium. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Added content
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Phenomenal ride by Pidcock.

His climbing of Alpe D'Huez was outstanding, but prior to that his descending was breathtaking. I had to look away at times!

At least it was dry! It bloody terrifies me when they do it in the wet, lose it on one of those bends and it`s goodnight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Clairvoyant? ?

Young Fred Wright is getting closer to his first win. Very worthy 2nd place 

Ha, I wish! I’ve just been watched the Tour since the late ‘80s and ride a lot myself, so I know how fatigue grows. There looked to be some tired legs yesterday so it was no surprise to see the peloton treat it as a bit of a rest day after the Alps. It’ll probably be another day for the breakaway tomorrow and hopefully Fred will have his day. 

• Like 1