IGNORED

Tour De France 2022

Lanterne Rouge

Usually the highlight of the summer for me. But with Cav not being selected by Quickstep, I have lost a lot of interest. I was hopeful he might get the record breaking 35th win.

The dominance of Pogacar, although impressive, is a negative in my view. At best most GC contenders will only be ridding for a podium place.

Barring a mishap I can't see anyone getting the better of him.

I will still be watching though, because you never know! ?

• Like 1

On 02/07/2022 at 19:10, Lanterne Rouge said:

I have to say this has snuck up on me this year and I`ve only just realised it started yesterday. Anyone got any predictions? I can`t see beyond Roglic or Pogacar again to be honest. Thomas and Froome aren`t the riders they were and there`s no Cav to get behind.

Vingegaard is the only one who can challenge Pogacar IMO, and it’ll be interesting to see if he genuinely has co-leadership at Jumbo-Visma as he’s stronger than Roglic.

I rode across the Pyrenees last week, from the Med to the Atlantic. Can’t wait to see the peloton go up the D’Apsin and Aubisque. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Crowds have been tremendous across the 3 days in Denmark and I'm really enjoying the GCN coverage.

Much as I would've loved to see Cav break the record wearing the red white & blue stripes, you can't blame QuickStep for going with Jacobsen ... Definitely the in form sprinter at the moment!

10 hours ago, tin said:

Vingegaard is the only one who can challenge Pogacar IMO, and it’ll be interesting to see if he genuinely has co-leadership at Jumbo-Visma as he’s stronger than Roglic.

I rode across the Pyrenees last week, from the Med to the Atlantic. Can’t wait to see the peloton go up the D’Apsin and Aubisque. 

It`s great seeing places you`ve been on the coverage. I remember being on a skiing holiday and getting the bus to Sestriere just so I could walk up the finish to the ski station.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It`s great seeing places you`ve been on the coverage. I remember being on a skiing holiday and getting the bus to Sestriere just so I could walk up the finish to the ski station.

Definitely. I’m fortunate enough to have ridden most of the French Cols. The Tourmalet was great last week, although the headwind are the top was a bitch! 

We weren’t far from Siestriere in 2019, when we went over the Telegraphe, Galibier and down to Briançon on the Route de Grande Alps but pressed on to Col de Vars and the Izoard. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

@Harry is a tour follower, not sure if he ventures to the General section much.

Sure am. Been watching since the early 80’s. 
I thought Denmark looked absolutely stunning in those first 3 stages. What a beautiful country. 

As others have said, Pogacar is the clear favourite but not sure why some have said that it makes it more dull. There’s almost always been a stand out favourite - during the Indurain years, Armstrong’s dominance, through to Contador for a period and then the Team Sky dominant years. Same with the sprints - Cippolini dominated for a while, Cavendish obviously has done over the last decade. Sagan was a green jersey favourite for many a year etc. Almost every year since I’ve been watching it for nearly 40 years has had stand out faves for each jersey. There’s only been a few years where it’s been wide open. 
It’s the turn of the Slovenian’s now with Pog & Rog, but Vingegaard might be able to challenge. 
Great ride by Van Aert today too. 

• Like 1

Pogacar looks in ominous form. The way he sprinted away today to take the Maillot Jaune will have sent shudders round the peloton.

I’ve been watching since the late ‘80s and I suspect he might become the best of the best I’ve seen during that time. Classics, mountains, time trials — he can do it all.

Killer finish to todays stage - the last kilometre is virtually vertical and gravel!

Absolutely brutal. 
I was cheering on Kamna at the end there - gutted for him. 
Pog is something else though. 
Great stage 

• Like 1

It was brutal! Nice to see G still on the pace though - I thought his career may be beginning to fade but it seems not.

Yeah he was up there again today til the very end. His Tour of Swiss form was maybe better than lots thought. However, we’ve not hit any true mountains yet so he might still fade yet. 

Someone mentioned earlier about not really being able to warm to Pogacar. I’ve always felt the same with Thomas actually. I’ve never really particularly disliked him but don’t really like him all that much, if that makes sense. 

• Like 2

Just now, Harry said:

Yeah he was up there again today til the very end. His Tour of Swiss form was maybe better than lots thought. However, we’ve not hit any true mountains yet so he might still fade yet. 

Someone mentioned earlier about not really being able to warm to Pogacar. I’ve always felt the same with Thomas actually. I’ve never really particularly disliked him but don’t really like him all that much, if that makes sense. 

Strange. I`ve always found him quite likeable and self deprecating (I`ll forgive his Taffness!) whereas I really struggle to get behind Chris Froome!

Funny old game Saint. 

3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Strange. I`ve always found him quite likeable and self deprecating (I`ll forgive his Taffness!) whereas I really struggle to get behind Chris Froome!

Funny old game Saint. 

Yeah. I didn’t like Froome either, ha ha. 
In fact, Cav & Brad aside, I haven’t really liked many British riders over the years. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I’ve never known a pro rider crash as often as Thomas. He’s already crashed in this Tour and I think he’s on his limit already. It’s a running joke within the peloton, apparently. 

Pog put metres into Thomas on the first double-digit steep section today. I expect that distance to grow in the mountains. Roglic might be a danger for stage wins now he’s out of the GC, mind. 

I’m with you on Kamna, though. He would’ve been a worthy winner today and I was hoping he’d stay clear. A good young rider on the up, he is. 

Edited by tin

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Something I need to get off my chest. 
On the ITV highlights, has anyone else noticed that Peter Kennaugh always wears a T-shirt that looks like it’s one size too big for him? 

I'm more concerned about Chris Boardman's seemingly never ending supply of Ralph Lauren polo shirts in every colour of the spectrum.

• Like 2