IGNORED

Fighting at Cricket...

spudski

11 minutes ago, TomF said:

That really is poor, especially with young kids around.

I went to Surrey v Somerset T20 at the Oval maybe 7-8 years ago and it all kicked off there..  would never get the slagging off Football does! 

Society in general is just going to the dogs. Like you say...no regard for kids.

Discipline and lack of consequences over a few generations hasn't helped imo.

• Confused 1

• Admin

Worst I have witnessed first hand was Glamorgan at Taunton a few years back, a large group were coked up in a friends bar before that game, caused hassle and took a lot of effort to move them on

But the fighting at the end was carnage, I wont name him on here but a PDC darts player that was at the time banned for drugs use was throwing punches like a Dutch windmill, it got really silly when a few of the Welsh got into the groundsman shed and started using some of the tools from in there

5 hours ago, spudski said:

....wtf is wrong with our society?

So much wrong these days.

People are just so aggressive.

Worth reading the thread as well.

Shameful. If cricket is "getting like football" (and it is) then we're only at the beginning of a slide where we'll see more scenes like this.

The ECB has apparently spent a fair bit on legal fees & lawyers with new discipline codes, and Recreational Cricket Discipline Officers being employed. All sticking plasters on the symptoms, not the causes, IMO.

As with most things in this country, amateur cricket needs overhauling. 

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Nbafc said:

Shameful. If cricket is "getting like football" (and it is) then we're only at the beginning of a slide where we'll see more scenes like this.

Nothing personal but these king of comments make me laugh, very often it is the same people that watch both sports yet are labelled as one thing because something happens at football and labelled as something else at cricket

It's similar to how trouble at rugby is put down as high jinks but something completely different at football

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

Nothing personal but these king of comments make me laugh, very often it is the same people that watch both sports yet are labelled as one thing because something happens at football and labelled as something else at cricket

It's similar to how trouble at rugby is put down as high jinks but something completely different at football

Exactly...it's the same people who follow all the sports.

If drink can be involved...now often mixed with coke...they'll attend anything.

However...in this instance, all sense left, as I'm assuming they were all sober when playing.

It's just entitled arrogance these days...with no consideration for anyone...just themselves. 

No discipline, no manners, no consequences for actions.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, phantom said:
24 minutes ago, phantom said:

To clarify yes its a lazy expression but it's basically a lack of respect I mean. Has been more evident in football where there has been some horrific incidents with local league referees. But it's across all sports, all workplaces, everywhere in society. 

If guys are getting to the point of cheating and mass brawling about a game then they may as well forget the cricket go straight in the bar, make up the scores while sinking a few then have a proper dust up in the car park after.

Cricket/rugby/football/horseracing. Red or blue, in or out. Its just a shit show all round was my (obvious, I know) point, and that isn't close to what sport is about.

Particularly topical for me, partly as 1st season in 30 I haven't been able to play.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spudski said:

It's just entitled arrogance these days...with no consideration for anyone...just themselves. 

You are forever mentioning what it’s like these days- how people now are entitled, bad up bringing and yet conveniently forgetting the past. In the past we lived with riots, football hooliganism and an openly racist society. Even in this thread people have given you examples, in the past, of trouble they witnessed at cricket games. It’s not a modern day phenomenon it’s just nostalgia on your behalf. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I’m getting serious “ok boomer” vibes. 

Yep. Back in our day bollocks.

Actually it goes like this:

Back in our day houses were 4 x our salary. Back in our day we had defined benefit pensions. Back in our day we planned to retire at 57. Back in our day we had free University education. Back in our day everyone got Child benefit. Back in our day fuel and energy were both cheap. Of course this is a one sided view - however the total lack of acknowledgment from the boomer generation that modern life is hard for young adults is blind to reality. Yet all we hear is the young are entitled. **** off 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Yep. Back in our day bollocks.

Actually it goes like this:

Back in our day houses were 4 x our salary. Back in our day we had defined benefit pensions. Back in our day we planned to retire at 57. Back in our day we had free University education. Back in our day everyone got Child benefit. Back in our day fuel and energy were both cheap. Of course this is a one sided view - however the total lack of acknowledgment from the boomer generation that modern life is hard for young adults is blind to reality. Yet all we hear is the young are entitled. **** off 

Let’s not forget 1 salary allowing for a parent to stay home, which is often overlooked. Which given the rampant domestic violence from that time, was probably handy to hide any black eyes….

14 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You are forever mentioning what it’s like these days- how people now are entitled, bad up bringing and yet conveniently forgetting the past. In the past we lived with riots, football hooliganism and an openly racist society. Even in this thread people have given you examples, in the past, of trouble they witnessed at cricket games. It’s not a modern day phenomenon it’s just nostalgia on your behalf. 

Here we go...the forum policeman has turned up again, telling people their opinion is wrong. Give it a rest. You are forever doing it. Must be hard be so perfect ?

I haven't ignored anything. I lived through all you have spoken. I haven't conveniently forgotten the past...I compare, and believe it's worse in general across society.

Imo... respect and entitlement in society is far worse these days. That's my experience. It's what I witness every week. 

Of course bad behaviour has always happened, but not at the levels it has today imo. 

If you disagree...fine...that's YOUR opinion and experience in life. Good for you. Have a ⭐ 

Funnily it's your level of attitude behind a keyboard that proves my point. Your entitled right to have a go at someone and tell them that their opinion is wrong and what THEY have experienced in life is wrong. Wow...a clairvoyant too. ?? So easy to do without ever meeting them or knowing them and their life experiences. We've all done it I guess....but sometimes you take it to another level. Constant pick, pick, pick on the forum.

Give it a rest. ?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, spudski said:

Here we go...the forum policeman has turned up again, telling people their opinion is wrong. Give it a rest. You are forever doing it. Must be hard be so perfect ?

I haven't ignored anything. I lived through all you have spoken. I haven't conveniently forgotten the past...I compare, and believe it's worse in general across society.

Imo... respect and entitlement in society is far worse these days. That's my experience. It's what I witness every week. 

Of course bad behaviour has always happened, but not at the levels it has today imo. 

If you disagree...fine...that's YOUR opinion and experience in life. Good for you. Have a ⭐ 

Funnily it's your level of attitude behind a keyboard that proves my point. Your entitled right to have a go at someone and tell them that their opinion is wrong and what THEY have experienced in life is wrong. Wow...a clairvoyant too. ?? So easy to do without ever meeting them or knowing them and their life experiences. We've all done it I guess....but sometimes you take it to another level. Constant pick, pick, pick on the forum.

Give it a rest. ?

Im just defending the current generation from whiners who continually pick on them and portray them in a bad way.  If you get all spikey being called out, then that's your problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Im just defending the current generation from whiners who continually pick on them and portray them in a bad way.  If you get all spikey being called out, then that's your problem.

???No one is picking on the current generation. 

'whiners and picking on them'...seriously? You sound like a kid in a playground. ??

' Please Miss...he keeps picking on our Generation, make him stop'... FFS grow up ??

You're going to tell me next your offended ?

I blame my generation for allowing an eroding of discipline and the current anti social behaviour that, imo, is far worse, and getting worse. 

I'm sure the current generation will thank you for acting on their behalf on a forum. Again...I award you a gold star. Because you seriously are acting like an entitled teenager on this forum. 

My opinion...get over it ?

11 hours ago, spudski said:

???No one is picking on the current generation. 

'whiners and picking on them'...seriously? You sound like a kid in a playground. ??

' Please Miss...he keeps picking on our Generation, make him stop'... FFS grow up ??

You're going to tell me next your offended ?

I blame my generation for allowing an eroding of discipline and the current anti social behaviour that, imo, is far worse, and getting worse. 

I'm sure the current generation will thank you for acting on their behalf on a forum. Again...I award you a gold star. Because you seriously are acting like an entitled teenager on this forum. 

My opinion...get over it ?

If you look at crime rates, violence, murder, terrorist attacks, wars, rape etc over the past few hundred years then you will find we are living in enlightened times, where crime is lower across the board. Not just locally (UK), but across the world.

I would suggest reading two books: Factfulness by Hans Rosling and Enlightenment Now by Steven Pinker. 

One thing which is sadly true is that death from wars is increasing since 2012, after 80 years of that trend reversing. Many have suggested this is a result of the west leaving Iraq, Afghanistan etc and dictatorships once again taking over and causing carnage. 

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

One thing which is sadly true is that death from wars is increasing since 2012, after 80 years of that trend reversing. Many have suggested this is a result of the west leaving Iraq, Afghanistan etc and dictatorships once again taking over and causing carnage. 

That’s an interesting one, and I’m not sure it’s fair.

Libya and Syria civil wars can be traced from the Arab Spring, though the expansion of the latter into Iraq can definitely be classed as a result of the Iraq drawdown, or at least an important factor. 

What is constantly overlooked, is the many conflicts in Africa.  It’s gradually getting worse over there yet doesn’t really show on the radar here. 

26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If you look at crime rates, violence, murder, terrorist attacks, wars, rape etc over the past few hundred years then you will find we are living in enlightened times, where crime is lower across the board. Not just locally (UK), but across the world.

I would suggest reading two books: Factfulness by Hans Rosling and Enlightenment Now by Steven Pinker. 

I understand your point...but what I'm really refering to, is the day to day experience. 

Just standards. Everyday standards. Things that affect us daily. 

Manners, lack of respect, no thought for anyone else, how ones actions would affect others. Aggression, no self control, no patience etc, etc, etc.

It is more common these days sadly...across all generations.

Standards have dropped. In general.

What does encourage me though, is not all is lost.

There are still those that have standards and have been brought up well...or have done so off their own accord.

My friend employs 6 under 20's, who are some of the most intelligent and respectful driven young adults I've ever met. I meet them most days and they always amaze me in some way or other.

Total respect to their parents. 

So there is hope. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

That’s an interesting one, and I’m not sure it’s fair.

Libya and Syria civil wars can be traced from the Arab Spring, though the expansion of the latter into Iraq can definitely be classed as a result of the Iraq drawdown, or at least an important factor. 

What is constantly overlooked, is the many conflicts in Africa.  It’s gradually getting worse over there yet doesn’t really show on the radar here. 

Absolutely right on Africa. The war in Tigray is one of the deadliest on the planet right now, but barely gets a mention in western news. 

I suppose the west's lack of foreign intervention since 2012 is a wider discussion point, but it's always important to point out to the anti-war/intervention brigade that inaction has consequences too... leaving vacuums of power in the middle east and Africa has had deadly consequences. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

OTIB never ceases to amaze me how a topic can go so far off an original post 

Well to bring it back, i remember what must have been a good 10-15 years ago I was playing a game where a batsman nicked it so much I had to dive as keeper to catch it, the batsman didn’t walk and with other teammates for umpires who didn’t give it either. A loud ‘oh just **** off would you’ in disbelief from the slips that they weren’t walking or giving it but then nothing more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spudski said:

Just standards. Everyday standards. Things that affect us daily. 

Manners, lack of respect, no thought for anyone else, how ones actions would affect others. Aggression, no self control, no patience etc, etc, etc.

It is more common these days sadly...across all generations.

Standards have dropped. In general

Your comments on this subject, could have been copied/pasted out of this.

23 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Your comments on this subject, could have been copied/pasted out of this.

Mate...you are either, simple, thick or what I suspect...unable to read properly. When you read, it's apparent you conjure up some idea about a person, then read what you want to read.

In my comments I've not mentioned the younger generation...apart from when I praised them.

Ive said and implied standards have dropped across all generations. And in my lifetime, it's been my generation that have let certain values change for the worse.

Now until you can actually read, understand what's written, without obviously having some pre determined judgement...then I suggest you wind your neck in, because you obviously have issues.