IGNORED

Vyner - second chance

citywest30

10 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I don't disagree re flexibility of system, which can be a good thing. It can also cause problems by taking you away from your preferred system. atm our players and style of play suit a 3412. To me a defensive midfielder is a deep lying midfielder (ala Makalele) that plays just in front of the back  3/4. In your examples we would have to go 31312 or 41212, both leaving us narrow and lacking in width.

In our current system if you need more defensive cover then the wing backs play deeper and you bring one of the front 3 off and bolster the 2 man midfield.

I'm not sure where you've the 3-1-3-1-2 from.

I think we'd be playing a 3-4-1-2 or 4-1-2-1-2. I don't think there's a massive difference between the two in reality, especially as it's not just the formation but how it is implemented that defines the shape. Essentially it is a question of whether the third defensively minded central player sits between the two central defenders or just in front of them. 

54 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't think it would be a case of three at the back AND a defensive midfielder. It would be more about an option to either play 3-4-1-2 or 4-3-1-2 depending on whether the opposition warrants us inviting pressure and hitting them on the counter or sticking an extra body in midfield in order to control the game a bit more.

I'm not going to pretend to have any real knowledge how good Kadji or Owers are but, if one of them could step up into that role (or we could make a signing of a defensive midfielder) it would give us flexibility to change our shape without completely overhauling the game plan and instructions for the other ten players in the team. 

My gut feel, assuming the personnel was there, would be that if we were to go 4312 (with a DM as part of the 3) that Kal Naismith or Joe Williams would play as the “front sweeper”.

Re Owers and Kadji - I wouldn’t take either of them as being a true DM.

Owers is all action, all left footed and plays with intensity.  He isn’t a “sitter” per se who screens the two CBs.  He could fit in as the Left Side CM in that MF3.

Kadji is more Bakinson like in his play, he’s not a “sitter” either.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

My gut feel, assuming the personnel was there, would be that if we were to go 4312 (with a DM as part of the 3) that Kal Naismith or Joe Williams would play as the “front sweeper”.

Re Owers and Kadji - I wouldn’t take either of them as being a true DM.

Owers is all action, all left footed and plays with intensity.  He isn’t a “sitter” per se who screens the two CBs.  He could fit in as the Left Side CM in that MF3.

Kadji is more Bakinson like in his play, he’s not a “sitter” either.

Obviously I've not seen training every day, but I have seen a number of U-23 games (soon to be U-21s) and Kadji has played well but I wouldn't say outstanding. But it appears that he has been fast tracked - they obviously see something in him in training every day. I thought Owers would be the next break through player but he's probably now destined for a loan somewhere. Some good prospects coming through.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Obviously I've not seen training every day, but I have seen a number of U-23 games (soon to be U-21s) and Kadji has played well but I wouldn't say outstanding. But it appears that he has been fast tracked - they obviously see something in him in training every day. I thought Owers would be the next break through player but he's probably now destined for a loan somewhere. Some good prospects coming through.

First time I saw Kadji was against Fleetwood in FAYC and he was excellent.  He obviously has something.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 13:23, SecretSam said:

So it's make or break for Vyner, fair enough. But if the manager thinks he should be given a chance, let's give him that chance. Our defence last season was so shambolic, it hardly warrants laying all the blame on one man.

Maybe he'll do a Bobby Reid...?

Just call me Nostradamus

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Just call me Nostradamus

I must admit confidence can do incredible things. 

He has been a totally different player these last couple of months, before this season it was largely hoofs up the pitch - to me it was a player short of confidence. 

I'm glad Vyner has shown us his capabilities

• Thanks 1