IGNORED

Coventry

GrahamC

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Unless they’re waiting for Wasps to go bust and get the stadium back on the cheap.

What sort of scummy outfit would even think of trying that on? 

Wasps were leaseholders with the stadium run by a separate company, which may also go into administration.

I doubt Coventry have the money to buy it and the NEC group are said to be interested.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/28/coventry-city-wasps-cbs-arena

21 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Unless they’re waiting for Wasps to go bust and get the stadium back on the cheap.

What sort of scummy outfit would even think of trying that on? 

What a perfect place for them to pitch up to next. Although personally Berwick would be a better fit to scab next. Same size and still in England (just about!)

7 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

His Majesty's Rugby Club have got a lot to answer for!

Could simply mostly be a cash flow and timing issue simply as Coventry had 3 home games off in August and then in September their local derby along with the rest of the schedule was off owing to the untimely death of the monarch.

How long did Derby get though when they first went into arrears with HMRC is what I also want to know. Rules are correct but applied quite differently??

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

If they do end up at Walsall it would significantly hamper their ability to have away followings, as it only holds 11,000 & they had 18,000 yesterday.

Really are battling against the odds with an embargo & uncertainty over where they will play their home games.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If they do end up at Walsall it would significantly hamper their ability to have away followings, as it only holds 11,000 & they had 18,000 yesterday.

Really are battling against the odds with an embargo & uncertainty over where they will play their home games.

One or two of their best players will have to be sold in January perhaps, possibly for lower fees than they would have got in the summer.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It would certainly spoil our New Years Day trip. I reckon we’d have taken thousands to the Ricoh, probably won’t get more than 1000 at Walsall’s ground. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I wonder how many ST holders they have. If it`s more than 11k (which wouldn`t surprise me) then Walsall`s a non-starter surely?

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could simply mostly be a cash flow and timing issue simply as Coventry had 3 home games off in August and then in September their local derby along with the rest of the schedule was off owing to the untimely death of the monarch.

How long did Derby get though when they first went into arrears with HMRC is what I also want to know. Rules are correct but applied quite differently??

Yes, it’s a cash flow issue for the reasons you suggest. They have prioritised other payments over tax. I’m not sure how they will be able to keep paying player salaries if they cannot fit in the games in hand and their stadium is shut before the World Cup pauses the league. Possible problems in January?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking at cubs nearer than Walsall; Nuneaton Borough is close to Coventry, but the ground isn't up to EFL standard.

Solihull Moors is closer than Brum where Cov played some games, but 4,510 is the capacity of that ground.

Would they fancy playing at Northampton again?

31 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

Yes, it’s a cash flow issue for the reasons you suggest. They have prioritised other payments over tax. I’m not sure how they will be able to keep paying player salaries if they cannot fit in the games in hand and their stadium is shut before the World Cup pauses the league. Possible problems in January?

Can only assume that their owners don't put much in and that things on a cash basis there are finely balanced.

3, if not 4 home games being postponed with only one ticked off would blow a huge hole in projections, the money would materialise albeit at an unknown date and might be less due to necessity of a reschedule.

The World Cup thing would be different, any responsible business would factor this break in. Maybe they look to a partial deferral of player wages until post Christmas- you'll get it but exceptional circs means maybe some of it a bit later in the season?

21 minutes ago, 22A said:

Looking at cubs nearer than Walsall; Nuneaton Borough is close to Coventry, but the ground isn't up to EFL standard.

Solihull Moors is closer than Brum where Cov played some games, but 4,510 is the capacity of that ground.

Would Leicester be an option? 25 miles and virtually all motorway. Or do they share the King Power with the egg chasers?

23 minutes ago, 22A said:

They won't go back to Sixfields as it holds less than 8000. Franklin's Gardens, home to Northampton Saints, holds over 15000 but I'm not sure what work would be needed to allow football to be played there. Why not go to Leicester, its closer to Coventry than Walsall. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I thought it would be about the same. Imagine if we had to play games away from AG for whatever reason, it would be a nightmare fiinding somewhere big enough.

Millennium Stadium in Cardiff?

The New Fruit Market Stadium for da Roverz?

Jokes aside yes. It would be very difficult to get anywhere within an hour of Bristol.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Same as us.

Leicester Tigers have their own ground.

Same thoughts. They don't share the King Power, Leicester Tigers play a, short walk away at Welford Road which holds nearly 26000 as the largest purpose built regularly used Rugby Union stadium in the country. Might need, some conversion to allow football but it has four segregated stands. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Millennium Stadium in Cardiff?

The New Fruit Market Stadium for da Roverz?

Jokes aside yes. It would be very difficult to get anywhere within an hour of Bristol.

I thought about Cardiff but both grounds are used for loads of other stuff (concerts, Wales international football/rugby and I think club rugby).

God knows where we`d end up!

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Same thoughts. They don't share the King Power, Leicester Tigers play a, short walk away at Welford Road which holds nearly 26000 as the largest purpose built regularly used Rugby Union stadium in the country. Might need, some conversion to allow football but it has four segregated stands. 

Only thing would be avoiding a match day clash with Leicester FC as the stadia are a stone's throw from each other.

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I thought about Cardiff but both grounds are used for loads of other stuff (concerts, Wales international football/rugby and I think club rugby).

God knows where we`d end up!

Villa or Reading in all honesty. Possibly Sandy Park in Exeter as it's 15.5k. But it's not much closer than Villa and would be a pain for away fans.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes, cashflow. Deal done with HMRC for now. Though if they have to move I doubt that will be the end of their problems.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/30/coventry-reach-hmrc-agreement-to-cover-stadium-cflow-shortfall

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yes, cashflow. Deal done with HMRC for now. Though if they have to move I doubt that will be the end of their problems.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/30/coventry-reach-hmrc-agreement-to-cover-stadium-cflow-shortfall

I`m glad they`ve been able to sort something. After HMRC basically let Derby off I would have been very angry if Coventry had been punished more than they were.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1