IGNORED

Cardiff City at home match day thread

3 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Following on from the last question then about subs (and I should really know this...)

I thought you had to make your five subs in three "blocks" plus half time but City's were on 78, 82, 87 and 90+3. I presume that's part of the concussion sub scenario then too.

Yes, we got an extra sub too, which can be used in a an extra 'block'.

• Like 1
On 20/08/2022 at 08:54, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

We are the car windshield travelling the M4 at 70mph . Cardiff are the unfortunate fat juicy bug flying straight at us  about to get splattered.

We are unstoppable and will leave more teams in our wake in our journey to the top. Another easy game.

Roasted welsh  lamb with gurt mint Source for Sunday supper.

just in case you guys missed the above prediction

p.s welsh lamb roasting as I write this....

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, Ian M said:

Not just that but we are conceding in the first 5 games this season as we did the last 10 last season; 1.2 per game - a rate of 55 per season

Yeh, in general the scoring and conceding rates are at their best for a while. I'm encouraged as well that neither are wildly out of kilter with the xG numbers. We're outperforming our own xG slightly, but xGA is 5.6, and we've conceded 6 (one of which was Hull's non-penalty). So we're likely in a relatively fair position.

Personally I'm keeping my feet on the ground a little, as I don't think any of the teams we've played so far will finish in the top 10 at the end of the season. I think we've lost 2, drawn 1 and won 2 against mid and lower table teams. That's ok, and we've largely played well and it's finally enjoyable and entertaining to watch us. But there are tougher tests to come.

I'm still reckoning on mid-table as a fair finish bar any huge changes in personnel (either injury or transfer related).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really great Pearson like performance. Always found this weird Pearson teams, don’t have the be spectacular to be very watchable.

Early season, only game I’ve seen from you but looked a super solid Championship performance, the sort that gets you in the top half and wondering whether there might be more, especially as the league looks a bit meh this year

• Like 13
6 hours ago, Malago said:

We’ll if you want cheering down, Vyner was fast asleep when Watters made the run just before we scored, and compounded the error by not tracking back.  
Rob Atkinson twice gave the ball away in dangerous position when under no pressure.  Another day, and another team, and we get punished for these errors.

Great day, thrilled with the overall performance, but defensively we’ve still get lots to work on.

In other news… Man City conceded three today..

7 hours ago, redkev said:

Just a thought remember last week when we were about 20th and the other lot were 3rd in there pub league .

thought I heard them say they were coming for us as the at the time it was the closest the gap had been for about 20 years .

well fast forward a week normal service resumed .

reminds me of how things change week by week 

anyone remember a certain group of fans at Wycombe singing on the pitch 

WE ARE STAYING UP/WE ARE STAYING UP 

Then a week later losing at home to a team wearing there kit and hounding the players and directors .

what a difference a week makes .

The gift that keeps giving 

not so bad being a red is it 

I was at Fratton Park yesterday as my mate is a Pompey fan and have just got home from being at Ashton Gate today.

First half yesterday BR could not get out of their own half, Pompey’s press was too much for them and when they launched it long Pompey won every ball, the Whelan challenge, which resulted in a double fracture, was truly shocking and he only got a yellow card.  Pompey were good value for 3-1 although BR did have a good shout for a pen at 2-1 down.

7 hours ago, Cov 77 said:

The difference this guy makes has been phenomenal, mistake v Sunderland but outside of that has added what we desperately needed, calmness , class and organisation 

Positional play outstanding as well 

And his deliveries from free kicks is first class already led to two goals this season .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ostrich said:

Really great Pearson like performance. Always found this weird Pearson teams, don’t have the be spectacular to be very watchable.

Early season, only game I’ve seen from you but looked a super solid Championship performance, the sort that gets you in the top half and wondering whether there might be more, especially as the league looks a bit meh this year

A Pearson side in full flight, can be compelling.

A while back I was looking at some highlights, long highlights videos of your great escape under him in 2014-15.

I thought back to some common themes, such as quick starts, pressing and a bit of an attempt to blitz the opposition..you'll know better than me but some of them Leicester looked quite dominant but not necessarily spectacular as you say.

Always thought that if it clicks, at home especially his style combined with the crowd getting on board with it could feed off each other quite well and it could be pretty watchable stuff. Early goals help of course.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Referee has been very good. Letting game flow 

He did a good job today….I have not got a sore throat this morning, which is a good sign.  Still think with the new rules re physical contact we will see refs give out more yellows for stupid stuff like Vyner’s throw-in time wasting (?) and kicking ball away.  For me, that balance is wrong.

Watching the game back, few thoughts.

Ref was mainly ok over all. But should have booked more Cardiff players, let them get away with a few, the one coming through the back off Wells nowhere near the ball was a card all day long. The Martin Pen appeal , defender hooks his leg around Martin and it easily could be given. Not to us obviously, but for another team on another day??

Pearson still seems slow in getting fresh legs on. When Conway starts to chase the ball down late on, he gives up quickly and Pearson subs him. Wells the same, chases a ball and ends up hunched over , subbed just after. I know you don't change things for the sake of it, but one or two were flagging. In fact I would have had Kane on much earlier for Conway and moved Scott central. All petty nit picking after a win, but the effort the MF put in it seems sensible to give them help later in games.

Bentley. I do criticise him for being slow to come out for through balls, or crosses. But one V One he has to be the best we've had. Those save weren't difficult because of the pace he closes them down. Turns a good chance into a difficult one.

Conways first chance. Very similar to Wells goal the other night, where it breaks down ids the first touch. Slightly too much left side and TC can't open his body enough to stick it far side like NW did. Probably the only thing he didn't get spot on yesterday.

Atkinson must put in as many KM's as a midfielder. Wilder may have started it, but our footballing Cb's are flying. Plugging the gaps behind Was but much more. I forgot he made the unselfish run when Nahki was on the edge of the box, making a little space for a shot.
With Vyner the other side (yes he made a couple of mistakes, everyone does) it adds a good balance and I'm not sure Kalas would give us that, though he has play RB so maybe.

Back to the Ref, sort of. How many times can HNM get kicked, tripped or pulled back before the opposition gets booked? 

Last mention for JD. I never thought I'd see the day he would be a target for Bentleys long ball for a flick on !
I've said it before, but he must be out most technically gifted player, so good in tight spaces. Can hold it up and allows time for runners. Some of the one touch stuff is great to watch .

They have set a standard now, the more often we get to that level, the higher we can go. 
Haven't said this for some time, I'm enjoying watching us at the moment.

Edited by 1960maaan