IGNORED

Cardiff City at home match day thread

Diwrnod da gyd-Goch lle bynnag y byddwch. heddiw yw'r torrwr defaid yn Ashton Gate.

The Severnside derby is always a bit special! Twenty-thousand plus supporters will make their way through the turnstiles at BS3 for this one. The match will be screened live on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Football, with coverage starting at 12:00pm.

Programme: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/derby-day-202223-robins-programme/

Nigel’s presser: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/press-conference-nigel-pearson-previews-severnside-derby/

I’ve got a weekend off the rock and will be at Fratton Park on Saturday (as my mate is a Pompey fan) so, for the first time in my 66 years, will be watching the Gas when they aren’t playing us. The rail strike saved me from sharing public transport with Rovers fans, on Sunday I’ll be at Ashton Gate, where my name has just been added to the Atyeo Statute, so look forward to seeing that.

Let’s hope we can continue with the momentum that is building and follow up an excellent midweek team performance with another one. COYR!

The very first meeting between the two sides took place in the FA Cup First Round on 9th January 1915 at Ashton Gate. The Bluebirds, managed by Fred Stewart, were plying their trade in the Southern League Division One at the time and faced the daunting prospect of playing Bristol City, then a First Division club. Cardiff put in a gutsy display but the Robins’ quality told and two goals from Edwin Burton saw them exit the competition in a 2-0 defeat.

Over the years we have won 41, lost 36 and drawn 21 times against them. We did the double over them last season.

Here’s a look back at a few recent games:

In the closed season Cardiff manager Steve Morison was early to the table signing four players before the end of May. Which included Nigerian international left-back Jamilu Collins on a two-year deal. The 27-year-old arrived on a free transfer as his contract with German second-tier side SC Paderborn had expired. Collins, who has 25 caps, played in Croatia and Slovenia before joining Paderborn in 2017. Early on the Bluebirds also brought in goalkeeper Jak Alnwick, midfielder Ebou Adams and winger Ollie Tanner.

Calum (that goal v Norwich) O’Dowda joined them on 1July https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61737951 the latest in a growing list of City players to make the 44 mile trip across the bridge, with Reid, Tomlin, Flint and Pack ahead of him.

COD has started well, he seems to be playing wider on the right and has chipped in with a couple of assists and a goal already.

All their incomings to date:

Ebou Adams (free, Forest Green Rovers)
Jak Alnwick (free, St Mirren)
Ollie Tanner (undisclosed, Lewes)
Jamilu Collins (free, Paderborn)
Callum O'Dowda (free, Bristol City)
Vontae Daley-Campbell (free, Leicester City)
Mahlon Romeo (free, Millwall)
Ryan Allsop (free, Derby County)
Andy Rinomhota (free, Reading)
Romaine Sawyers (undisclosed, West Bromwich Albion)
Cedric Kipre (loan, West Bromwich Albion)
Jaden Philogene-Bidace (loan, Aston Villa)
Kion Etete (undisclosed, Tottenham Hotspur)
Jack Simpson (undisclosed, Rangers)
Sheyi Ojo (free, Liverpool)

Ryan Allsop and Mahlon Romeo have in the past been on loan at Pompey, but failed to impress and similarly Romaine Sawyers on loan at Stoke last season disappointed after a good start. However, Philogene-Bidace (also at loan at Stoke last season) was impressive, electric fast and good in front of goal only to be injured and eventually returned to his parent club. If fit he could be a real menace. Similarly,  Etete has many admirers and was being pursued by other Championship clubs. Our ‘not so quick’ defence could be severely challenged if those two get on the park.

Among others they also released Pack (now at Pompey) and Flint (now at Stoke) both departing on frees.

Their manager, Steve Morison was appointed in October 2021 in temporary charge of the first-team. Morison's first match in temporary charge was a 3–3 draw away at Stoke with his side having been 3–0 down with just 25 minutes remaining, the draw ended Cardiff's club-record run of eight defeats in a row.

When in 2004 Morison played part-time football with Bishop's Stortford, he worked for a shredding company, "getting up at four in the morning shredding paper around London". Morison has always had an interest in greyhound racing and in January 2013, he set up a greyhound racing syndicate alongside his former strike partner at Norwich City, Grant Holt.

So far they have beaten Norwich and Birmingham 1-0 and lost 2-1 to Reading, on Wednesday they drew 0-0 away at WBA.

Jamilu Collins has been ruled out for the rest of the season with an ACL injury. The 28-year-old Nigeria international sustained the injury during the Bluebirds' goalless draw on Wednesday.

Callum O'Dowda replaced Collins at the Hawthorns after just nine minutes and continued his fine start to the season in a new position at left-back. Academy product Joel Bagan, who featured regularly in the first team last season, is a natural left-back and could come in for Collins on Sunday.

The officials:

NPs recent comments may mean they feel under even great scrutiny than usual today.

Ref: Thomas Bramall, I think the last time he was in charge of us was in April when we beat Derby 3-1 away that day he brandished three yellow cards to our players.

Lino’s: Timothy Wood and Matthew Wilkes.

Fourth Official: Tim Robinson.

Severn stuff

• The River Severn, at 220 miles long, is the longest river in Great Britain. It is also the river with the most voluminous flow of water by far in all of England and Wales, with an average flow rate of 107 m³/s at Apperley, Gloucestershire.
  • The River Severn linked the coal and iron fields of the Midlands with the Bristol Channel and much of the River's industrial history can be seen and explored in Ironbridge and Coalville. By the end of the 17th century, the river had become the 2nd busiest in Europe! For many centuries, Bridgnorth was an extremely busy river port, exporting clothes, wool and beer (the town made its own brew called Cave beer, stored in the local caves). Commercial traffic declined with the advent of the railways in the 19th century and today, river traffic mainly consists of people enjoying the water on pleasure boats. Canoeing, fishing, walking and boating are all popular activities, particularly between Bridgnorth and Bewdley.
  • The effects of tides flowing into the Severn Estuary and up the river gives rise to the famous Severn bore. During high tides a wall of water can travel up stream for 25 miles. The tidal wave can swell the depth of the river by 50ft and it's the second highest tide anywhere in the world! Surfing on the bore is a popular activity, but it's not for the faint-hearted!
  • Thomas Telford, the engineer, first suggested a bridge across the Severn in 1824.
  • I remember my Grandad taking me, as a young boy, to see the bridge being built and this series of pictures shows the construction of the Severn Bridge: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/fascinating-pictures-show-severn-bridge-11850719 
  • The Queen opened the original Severn Bridge on 8 September 1966. During the first few days after it opened, about 100,000 vehicles crossed the bridge. People stood in line and camped out for several days, to be the first to walk across it.
  • Six men died during the construction of the bridge and a plaque commemorates the men who lost their lives in building the bridge.
  • Ferries have been crossing the River Severn since as far back as the 12th century. When the Severn Bridge opened, it replaced the Aust Ferry, which had been in operation since 1926.
  • The Second Severn Crossing (Welsh: Ail Groesfan Hafren), officially renamed the Prince of Wales Bridge (Welsh: Pont Tywysog Cymru) since July 2018, is the M4 motorway bridge over the River Severn between England and Wales, inaugurated on 5 June 1996 by the Prince of Wales to supplement the traffic capacity of the Severn Bridge. The bridge is operated by England's National Highways. It has a total length of 5,128 metres (16,824 ft).
  • A privately developed app called Enviroute provides the status of both bridges. The original Severn Bridge status website, www.severnbridge.co.uk, was decommissioned in December 2018 following the removal of the tolls and the handing back of the first bridge to the UK government.

5401F44C-65E9-4363-AEF0-C0BA2AF7762E.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Robin 2

Pearson has said previously that players who play well keep the shirt, or words to that affect. Will be interesting to see if and how he squeezes Williams in. If you move players around then he could replace Sykes or if Wilson is that man then he could replace Massengo, Conway or Wells, so plenty of ways for Nige to pick his man.  I’d be very tempted to remain unchanged though 

• Robin 1
1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Pearson has said previously that players who play well keep the shirt, or words to that affect. Will be interesting to see if and how he squeezes Williams in. If you move players around then he could replace Sykes or if Wilson is that man then he could replace Massengo, Conway or Wells, so plenty of ways for Nige to pick his man.  I’d be very tempted to remain unchanged though 

Agree will be disappointed if the only change is not Wilson or Tanner for Sykes, thought our midfield was much more mobile with HNM & Scott and Conway / Wells had good games and do not deserve to be dropped for Martin

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

@Jerseybean - having too much spare time I put your opening two sentences into a translation site. The result was;
“Good day for a fellow Red wherever you are. today is the sheep cutter in Ashton Gate.”

Perhaps it might have lost a bit in translation?

Pongo88 yes it certainly lost a bit in translation ? no prizes for guessing what what I thought it said. 

59 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Diwrnod da gyd-Goch lle bynnag y byddwch. heddiw yw'r torrwr defaid yn Ashton Gate.

The Severnside derby is always a bit special! Twenty-thousand plus supporters will make their way through the turnstiles at BS3 for this one. The match will be screened live on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Football, with coverage starting at 12:00pm.

Nigel’s presser: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/press-conference-nigel-pearson-previews-severnside-derby/

I’ve got a weekend off the rock and will be at Fratton Park on Saturday (as my mate is a Pompey fan) so, for the first time in my 66 years, will be watching the Gas when they aren’t playing us. The rail strike saved me from sharing public transport with Rovers fans, on Sunday I’ll be at Ashton Gate, where my name has just been added to the Atyeo Statute, so look forward to seeing that.

Let’s hope we can continue with the momentum that is building and follow up an excellent midweek team performance with another one. COYR!

The very first meeting between the two sides took place in the FA Cup First Round on 9th January 1915 at Ashton Gate. The Bluebirds, managed by Fred Stewart, were plying their trade in the Southern League Division One at the time and faced the daunting prospect of playing Bristol City, then a First Division club. Cardiff put in a gutsy display but the Robins’ quality told and two goals from Edwin Burton saw them exit the competition in a 2-0 defeat.

Over the years we have won 41, lost 36 and drawn 21 times against them. We did the double over them last season.

In the closed season Cardiff manager Steve Morison was early to the table signing four players before the end of May. Which included Nigerian international left-back Jamilu Collins on a two-year deal. The 27-year-old arrived on a free transfer as his contract with German second-tier side SC Paderborn had expired. Collins, who has 25 caps, played in Croatia and Slovenia before joining Paderborn in 2017. Early on the Bluebirds also brought in goalkeeper Jak Alnwick, midfielder Ebou Adams and winger Ollie Tanner.

Calum (that goal v Norwich) O’Dowda joined them on 1July https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61737951 the latest in a growing list of City players to make the 44 mile trip across the bridge, with Reid, Tomlin, Flint and Pack ahead of him.

COD has started well, he seems to be playing wider on the right and has chipped in with a couple of assists and a goal already.

Ryan Allsop and Mahlon Romeo have in the past been on loan at Pompey, but failed to impress and similarly Romaine Sawyers on loan at Stoke last season disappointed after a good start. However, Philogene-Bidace (also at loan at Stoke last season) was impressive, electric fast and good in front of goal only to be injured and eventually returned to his parent club. If fit he could be a real menace. Similarly,  Etete has many admirers and was being pursued by other Championship clubs. Our ‘not so quick’ defence could be severely challenged if those two get on the park.

Among others they also released Pack (now at Pompey) and Flint (now at Stoke) both departing on frees.

Their manager, Steve Morison was appointed in October 2021 in temporary charge of the first-team. Morison's first match in temporary charge was a 3–3 draw away at Stoke with his side having been 3–0 down with just 25 minutes remaining, the draw ended Cardiff's club-record run of eight defeats in a row.

When in 2004 Morison played part-time football with Bishop's Stortford, he worked for a shredding company, "getting up at four in the morning shredding paper around London". Morison has always had an interest in greyhound racing and in January 2013, he set up a greyhound racing syndicate alongside his former strike partner at Norwich City, Grant Holt.

So far they have beaten Norwich and Birmingham 1-0 and lost 2-1 to Reading, on Wednesday they drew 0-0 away at WBA.

Jamilu Collins has been ruled out for the rest of the season with an ACL injury. The 28-year-old Nigeria international sustained the injury during the Bluebirds' goalless draw on Wednesday.

Callum O'Dowda replaced Collins at the Hawthorns after just nine minutes and continued his fine start to the season in a new position at left-back. Academy product Joel Bagan, who featured regularly in the first team last season, is a natural left-back and could come in for Collins on Sunday.

The officials:

NPs recent comments may mean they feel under even great scrutiny than usual today.

Ref: Thomas Bramall, I think the last time he was in charge of us was in April when we beat Derby 3-1 away that day he brandished three yellow cards to our players.

Severn stuff

• The River Severn, at 220 miles long, is the longest river in Great Britain. It is also the river with the most voluminous flow of water by far in all of England and Wales, with an average flow rate of 107 m³/s at Apperley, Gloucestershire.
  • The River Severn linked the coal and iron fields of the Midlands with the Bristol Channel and much of the River's industrial history can be seen and explored in Ironbridge and Coalville. By the end of the 17th century, the river had become the 2nd busiest in Europe! For many centuries, Bridgnorth was an extremely busy river port, exporting clothes, wool and beer (the town made its own brew called Cave beer, stored in the local caves). Commercial traffic declined with the advent of the railways in the 19th century and today, river traffic mainly consists of people enjoying the water on pleasure boats. Canoeing, fishing, walking and boating are all popular activities, particularly between Bridgnorth and Bewdley.
  • The effects of tides flowing into the Severn Estuary and up the river gives rise to the famous Severn bore. During high tides a wall of water can travel up stream for 25 miles. The tidal wave can swell the depth of the river by 50ft and it's the second highest tide anywhere in the world! Surfing on the bore is a popular activity, but it's not for the faint-hearted!
  • Thomas Telford, the engineer, first suggested a bridge across the Severn in 1824.
  • I remember my Grandad taking me, as a young boy, to see the bridge being built and this series of pictures shows the construction of the Severn Bridge: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/fascinating-pictures-show-severn-bridge-11850719 
  • The Queen opened the original Severn Bridge on 8 September 1966. During the first few days after it opened, about 100,000 vehicles crossed the bridge. People stood in line and camped out for several days, to be the first to walk across it.
  • Six men died during the construction of the bridge and a plaque commemorates the men who lost their lives in building the bridge.
  • Ferries have been crossing the River Severn since as far back as the 12th century. When the Severn Bridge opened, it replaced the Aust Ferry, which had been in operation since 1926.
  • The Second Severn Crossing (Welsh: Ail Groesfan Hafren), officially renamed the Prince of Wales Bridge (Welsh: Pont Tywysog Cymru) since July 2018, is the M4 motorway bridge over the River Severn between England and Wales, inaugurated on 5 June 1996 by the Prince of Wales to supplement the traffic capacity of the Severn Bridge. The bridge is operated by England's National Highways. It has a total length of 5,128 metres (16,824 ft).
  • A privately developed app called Enviroute provides the status of both bridges. The original Severn Bridge status website, www.severnbridge.co.uk, was decommissioned in December 2018 following the removal of the tolls and the handing back of the first bridge to the UK government.

Just a warning, the coverage actually starts at 11-30 and the match kicks off at 12 o clock.

32 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I reckon he might go Martin for this.

I watched some of Cardiff's draw  against West Brom and they seem obsessed with playing it out from the back even to their own detriment , so I think it might be the same front 3 although I think Williams might well come in for Massengo which I think is harsh on him having one of his best games for City on Tuesday.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

We are the car windshield travelling the M4 at 70mph . Cardiff are the unfortunate fat juicy bug flying straight at us  about to get splattered.

We are unstoppable and will leave more teams in our wake in our journey to the top. Another easy game.

Roasted welsh  lamb with gurt mint Source for Sunday supper.

Fabulous. X

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I would just bring Wilson in for Sykes and leave it at that. They all deserve to start tomorrow after the last performance 

• Like 8
20 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

I watched some of Cardiff's draw  against West Brom and they seem obsessed with playing it out from the back even to their own detriment , so I think it might be the same front 3 although I think Williams might well come in for Massengo which I think is harsh on him having one of his best games for City on Tuesday.

Until HNM signs the contract Nige can justify dropping him for Williams 

Barring any injury issues;

Wilson or Tanner for Sykes.

Williams for HNM.

Can't see Cardiff being as passive as Luton so may need a bit of bite in midfield and I wouldn't rule out NP going for Martin instead of Conway for this game, which would be hard on Conway or Wells.

Prediction: City 3 - 1 Cardiff

Tommy Conway at the double, Weimann to get the other. 

For the first time in a while, I find there's a good feeling surrounding our Home matches. The large attendance against Sunderland, and the performance against Luton could be a welcome boost for our games at Ashton Gate moving forward. 

The crowd seem fully behind the team, and the atmosphere seems to have increased. 

Tomorrow's game needs no introduction, the fans will be well up for this, and hopefully the players can repeat last season's performance. 

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Barring any injury issues;

Wilson or Tanner for Sykes.

Williams for HNM.

Can't see Cardiff being as passive as Luton so may need a bit of bite in midfield and I wouldn't rule out NP going for Martin instead of Conway for this game, which would be hard on Conway or Wells.

That’s my gut feel too.  Rested Williams to bring him in tomorrow.  But I honestly don’t mind / care what he picks.  We have a squad of players, all pretty much there or thereabouts.  But if anything, I’d like to see Wells and Conway pair-up again.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

The officials:

Severn stuff

Coalville is in Leicestershire...think you meant Coalbrookdale.