IGNORED

2 in & keep AS & Scott and just maybe

Better Red

The balance of the squad looks very good for the first time in about 18 months. 

I think J.Bryan on loan would really add to this team. I get we would need to negotiate on wages but why not. 

Also add a central midfielder who will challenge Williams and Massengo and the squad will look pretty good.

If we keep hold of AS and Scott the squad with the 2 additions looks like it has a enough to look at top 10 and maybe the play offs is not a million miles off.

Its another weak division this year. Maybe 6th is actually not as far away as it looked at the start of the season.

With AS & Kalas fit hopefully in next 2 or 3 weeks we will have lots of competition for places and the bench will look pretty strong.

If Wilson can make the step up and deliver his believed potential  Nige will have a real problem picking the team each week.

A few could go out on loan - Max, Bell, Towler, tanner and maybe even Pring or D’Silva if JB was to be brought in.

Lots of its and buts but none are really impossible if and I agree difficult under the financial situation.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 2

36 minutes ago, Better Red said:

If we keep hold of AS and Scott the squad with the 2 additions looks like it has a enough to look at top 10 and maybe the play offs is not a million miles off.

36 minutes ago, Better Red said:

If Wilson can make the step up and deliver his believed potential  Nige will have a real problem picking the team each week.

If, If etc  If my Auntie had balls....!

And we don't need Bryan.

Always a mistake for anyone to go back whatever their profession

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Better Red said:

Not sure the If’s are miles away

I did not say if we sign Harry Kane and Haland we could get into top 2…

If you are proposing to not sell anyone yet add two players to the squad I can only assume you have missed Nigel repeatedly saying we will be in no position to sign players unless we sell.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

The balance of the squad looks very good for the first time in about 18 months. 

I think J.Bryan on loan would really add to this team. I get we would need to negotiate on wages but why not. 

Also add a central midfielder who will challenge Williams and Massengo and the squad will look pretty good.

Its another weak division this year. Maybe 6th is actually not as far away as it looked at the start of the season.

With AS & Kalas fit hopefully in next 2 or 3 weeks we will have lots of competition for places and the bench will look pretty strong.

A few could go out on loan - Max, Bell, Towler, tanner and maybe even Pring or D’Silva if JB was to be brought in.

Lots of its and buts but none are really impossible if and I agree difficult under the financial situation.

This ain’t a fantasy league. There’s no chance Joe would come back to us & even if we had that money to spend (we don’t) it would better spent else wear.  Pearson has said , we’ll need to sell if we want to buy . Watch the press conferences it’s educational 

• Like 1

Based on the last two performances I can’t see any reason why we don’t have at least half a chance of a play off spot. We’ll beat a lot of teams playing like that.

It’s interesting to read others fans perception of us, which I think is sometimes gives a more accurate picture of where we are as it comes without our own bias and cynicism. Cardiff fans seem impressed by our tempo, and our collection of forward players who all carry a goal threat. Plus Massengo gets a lot of praise.

After a long period of stagnation, it feels like we’ve suddenly got a very decent group of players here, and maybe we don’t even realise ourselves yet what they might be capable of.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Based on the last two performances I can’t see any reason why we don’t have at least half a chance of a play off spot. We’ll beat a lot of teams playing like that.

It’s interesting to read others fans perception of us, which I think is sometimes gives a more accurate picture of where we are as it comes without our own bias and cynicism. Cardiff fans seem impressed by our tempo, and our collection of forward players who all carry a goal threat. Plus Massengo gets a lot of praise.

After a long period of stagnation, it feels like we’ve suddenly got a very decent group of players here, and maybe we don’t even realise ourselves yet what they might be capable of.

It’s a long season & we don’t have the depth to our squad if/when we get key injuries . Positivity is great but let’s be realistic . 

28 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s a long season & we don’t have the depth to our squad if/when we get key injuries . Positivity is great but let’s be realistic . 

We’ll certainly need some luck with injuries. But is it definitely the case that we don’t have enough depth? Kalas, Sykes and Semenyo weren’t involved at all today. Kane Wilson was our big summer signing and has hardly been involved yet. Experienced pros like King, James and Klose able to drop in when required. I wouldn’t say it’s completely unrealistic at all. Luton made the play offs last year…

• Like 2

Yes we are thin squad wise / quality wise . There seems to be no end to kalas recovery , we won’t see baker again seemingly . What if Scott massengo or williams picks up a 2/3 month injury ? 
everything can seem fine but as we experienced with afobe . One training ground injury can derail your season 

apologies @ChippenhamRedi was replying to you 

Edited by steviestevieneville
  • Like 1

There is absolutely no reason why we could not mount or make top end of table challenge,  need luck & rub of the green with injuries, a fully fit squad would give most championship teams a test. 
when you consider we have Kalas. James, Sem to return…the emergence of Tommy…certainly not doom and gloom but optimism of a decent season… and of course the conclusion of transfer window. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We’ll certainly need some luck with injuries. But is it definitely the case that we don’t have enough depth? Kalas, Sykes and Semenyo weren’t involved at all today. Kane Wilson was our big summer signing and has hardly been involved yet. Experienced pros like King, James and Klose able to drop in when required. I wouldn’t say it’s completely unrealistic at all. Luton made the play offs last year…

I’m going to preface this by saying at the start of the season I said we’d be up there and that was B.C. (Before Conway).

I’m not unhappy with depth in the midfield and front areas. I keep hearing we need a DM, but you’ve got 2 from a 4 of Williams, Scott, HNM and James in there with King as backup. Nobody is coming in to sit on their backside behind them so developing Owers/Allen seems the way to go.

Where I think we are short is central defence, even if Bamba signs. Vyner did ok today (couple of dodgy passes but played well defensively) but undoubtedly drops out when Kalas back. The problem I see (and why ZV is playing over Klose) is that there isn’t cover for the RCB and LCB roles. Maybe you can argue Vyner covers the former when Kalas back and Pring covers the latter, but if you asked me to sign for one position, it’d be a pacy CB who plays left side. That’s where i think we may be light.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m going to preface this by saying at the start of the season I said we’d be up there and that was B.C. (Before Conway).

I’m not unhappy with depth in the midfield and front areas. I keep hearing we need a DM, but you’ve got 2 from a 4 of Williams, Scott, HNM and James in there with King as backup. Nobody is coming in to sit on their backside behind them so developing Owers/Allen seems the way to go.

Where I think we are short is central defence, even if Bamba signs. Vyner did ok today (couple of dodgy passes but played well defensively) but undoubtedly drops out when Kalas back. The problem I see (and why ZV is playing over Klose) is that there isn’t cover for the RCB and LCB roles. Maybe you can argue Vyner covers the former when Kalas back and Pring covers the latter, but if you asked me to sign for one position, it’d be a pacy CB who plays left side. That’s where i think we may be light.

Bamba can play DM too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bamba can play DM too.

Listening to him on Sky today it seems clear (to me anyway) that Nige IS looking to sign him , he had a bit of a twinkle in the eye when asked by the fragrant Michelle , and he looked like he's kept himself in good nick with no excess timber etc. All good.

• Like 1

What a difference a week makes.

Won lots of individual battles today, and seemed to have a real style of play. A big difference between LJs team and this one, is when a goal up NP still wants to carry a threat and we carved them open more than once. We are now a dangerous side when one up.

There will be a team or two that makes the play offs that are not outstanding but are consistent and hard to beat. Given average luck with injuries, no reason why that cannot be us, but it’s still crazy early days. 

The back line is all about partnerships building and that is getting stronger. Still think however that is why we will end up mid table (which for me would represent real progress). For a real play off contender we gave away maybe a chance or two too many today. Bentley made some crucial saves at important times.

Enjoyed today, went our way and we deserved to win. We also went close several times. No harm in dreaming as well.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Yes we are thin squad wise / quality wise . There seems to be no end to kalas recovery , we won’t see baker again seemingly . What if Scott massengo or williams picks up a 2/3 month injury ? 
everything can seem fine but as we experienced with afobe . One training ground injury can derail your season 

apologies @ChippenhamRedi was replying to you 

Like I said - we’ll need luck with injuries! But I disagree that the squad is that thin. We’ve got pretty decent options in most positions now.

43 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Aren't Atkinson, Naismith, Pring and Klose all naturally left-sided? I would think it was RCB where we need cover. 

Seen Atkinson limp off each game a little bit so Sol Bamba cover will give us that insurance with minimal risk.

Would like another midfielder for cover as Williams injuries could flare up again, another experienced midfield player wouldn't harm on a free. Wouldn't want to heap pressure on Kadji or another U23 if they aren't ready. 

Considering we were linked with him I didn't even notice Rinamhota playing for them today until he came off. 

But if it is as it is now I think we can have a solid, progressive season and see where we land.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Like I said - we’ll need luck with injuries! But I disagree that the squad is that thin. We’ve got pretty decent options in most positions now.

We do yes , but . If Naismith , williams & any of the front 3-4 gets injured then it’s different . I get you can say that about most teams but we do lack a centre half & another midfielder