IGNORED

FBC POD: review of Cardiff [H] - maintain this form / style of play and the sky's the limit?

headhunter

In our latest episode DaveP is in the chair talking with Ian ,Lezz & Rob Pickles about today's hugely impressive win against Cardiff:

LISTEN HERE: https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/cardiff-h-reviewed-if-this-style-can-be-maintained-then-the-sky-s-the-limit/ [Also on Apple, Google & Spotify]

Never mind Scott, Semenyo & HNM as our star trio, you have to add Tommy Conway to that list as he scored for the 2nd time at home this week. Cardiff were no mugs but they lacked firepower in the final third and when they got within a whiff of a goal Bentley was on hand at his usual shot-stopper best.

We mustn't get carried away with the positivity we expressed in the content of this episode but this side [OK, based on just two games] looks like it knows what it's doing and that's something you couldn't say has been evident for a while.

Must give a shout out for the referee Thomas Bramhall whose eagerness to let the game flow was a pleasure to behold!

14 hours ago, headhunter said:

In our latest episode DaveP is in the chair talking with Ian ,Lezz & Rob Pickles about today's hugely impressive win against Cardiff:

We mustn't get carried away with the positivity we expressed in the content of this episode but this side [OK, based on just two games] looks like it knows what it's doing and that's something you couldn't say has been evident for a while.

Interesting definition of “positivity” saying that we haven’t known what we’re doing for a while..

Probably only one defeat away from “how many points does NP need from the next x games to show he’s the man for the job”?

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Interesting definition of “positivity” saying that we haven’t known what we’re doing for a while..

Probably only one defeat away from “how many points does NP need from the next x games to show he’s the man for the job”?

Perhaps I should have said displaying some degree of playing identity which hasn't been evident,  in my most humblest of opinions, since the first half of 2017/18.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Perhaps I should have said displaying some degree of playing identity which hasn't been evident,  in my most humblest of opinions, since the first half of 2017/18.

As you saw I listened live yesterday.

As a general thought, why are we only “measured” after a win, ie, generally positive but not getting carried away, but anything but measured after a draw or defeat, ie, way OTT in criticism?

Maybe when the next draw or defeat we think back to how we reacted to a win and have balance?

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As a general thought, why are we only “measured” after a win, ie, generally positive but not getting carried away, but anything but measured after a draw or defeat, ie, way OTT in criticism?

Maybe when the next draw or defeat we think back to how we reacted to a win and have balance?

Yes exactly that. It was very calm and without the usual vitriol and blame/sack rubbish. 

The comment about passion and saying things in the heat of the moment (one person usually having a lot of moments) seemed to be indicating an agreed more measured approach. 

I like it!

It’s easy to make noise after a defeat, even when the manager is tasked with forming a championship challenging team from free transfers and youths.

However it’s happening in front of everyone’s eyes. Some continuing to be a bit more measured would be good for everybody’s blood pressure!

• Like 3

Another great show guys, many thanks..

Very good points around the ref, thought he was outstanding, I assume he is normally doing the prem? i wanted to sing "can you ref us every week" at the end. he always looked in control and let it flow, was even handed and got all the big calls right. what was not to like!

On 21/08/2022 at 21:18, headhunter said:

LISTEN HERE: https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/cardiff-h-reviewed-if-this-style-can-be-maintained-then-the-sky-s-the-limit/ [Also on Apple, Google & Spotify]

Never mind Scott, Semenyo & HNM as our star trio, you have to add Tommy Conway to that list as he scored for the 2nd time at home this week. Cardiff were no mugs but they lacked firepower in the final third and when they got within a whiff of a goal Bentley was on hand at his usual shot-stopper best.

Must give a shout out for the referee Thomas Bramhall whose eagerness to let the game flow was a pleasure to behold!

Apologies for the wordy post as I'm tapping out notes as I go along with it.

Wish the pod was this measured when there's a defeat would be my only point.

Good counter arguments and points made re team selections (DaSilva Vs Pring) and other points.

Not sure I'd have been as easy on Ian with regards to the Weimann 70% mooted sale, thought defending it with Exiled's tweet speculating interest wouldn't shock was a weak deflection - who is the source dammit! ?

Sykes/Freeman was not as serious as the Blackpool/Burnley incident imo. Maatsen was much much more forceful, but that's just my opinion.

Re the relegation to playoffs prospect swing in view. There's ebbing and flowing, then there's whiplash. Think the pod needs to prerequisite someone to look at the bright sides to any draw/defeat to compare and contrast to allow more balanced conversation, as so far when there has been a defeat it's just a fairly predictable droning critique usually blaming the manager (rightly or randomly).

Bryan rightly written off on a return as unrealistic pending wages.

Disagree crowding the ref. Luton barely did it and Sykes got sent off for example, simply off of Freeman's reaction. Gamesmanship is fine, but pressuring officials and 'bullying' them is a step too far imo, but again, that's personal opinion.

Good Listen Overall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

Apologies for the wordy post as I'm tapping out notes as I go along with it.

Wish the pod was this measured when there's a defeat would be my only point.

Good counter arguments and points made re team selections (DaSilva Vs Pring) and other points.

Not sure I'd have been as easy on Ian with regards to the Weimann 70% mooted sale, thought defending it with Exiled's tweet speculating interest wouldn't shock was a weak deflection - who is the source dammit! ?

Sykes/Freeman was not as serious as the Blackpool/Burnley incident imo. Maatsen was much much more forceful, but that's just my opinion.

Re the relegation to playoffs prospect swing in view. There's ebbing and flowing, then there's whiplash. Think the pod needs to prerequisite someone to look at the bright sides to any draw/defeat to compare and contrast to allow more balanced conversation, as so far when there has been a defeat it's just a fairly predictable droning critique usually blaming the manager (rightly or randomly).

Bryan rightly written off on a return as unrealistic pending wages.

Disagree crowding the ref. Luton barely did it and Sykes got sent off for example, simply off of Freeman's reaction. Gamesmanship is fine, but pressuring officials and 'bullying' them is a step too far imo, but again, that's personal opinion.

Good Listen Overall.

Thank you for that very considered critique of this week's episode.

We'll take on board the comments of you and others regarding the swing in mood associated with win vs. defeat / draw ; will be difficult if points are lost from winning positions though!?

@headhunter I was a little surprised that Wes didn’t know the Championship had goal line technology, but that minor thing aside thought it was a enjoyable listen.

Did I hear correctly, that you’re gonna be posting a video of the Pod on YouTube soon? 

Keep up the good work all ?

COYR.

Edited by Tangle Foot
Err

5 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

@headhunter I was a little surprised that Wes didn’t know the Championship had goal line technology, but that minor thing aside thought it was a enjoyable listen.

Did I hear correctly, that you’re gonna be posting a video of the Pod on YouTube soon? 

Keep up the good work all ?

COYR.

You can find it here.

Forever Bristol City Pod - Podcast episode 163 (Live)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

On 22/08/2022 at 12:27, Davefevs said:

It’s a good question, Dave. Maybe it's something about fear of things going pear-shaped when we do poorly is stronger than optimistic thoughts when we do well. Certainly at this moment in time.

We have been poor for a couple of seasons worrying about relegation (albeit the trend over the last 10 - 15 games looks promising) and the way this season started against not the stiffest opposition we will face was disappointing.

If you went back to the purple patch of 17/18 and parts of 18/19 I reckon you'd find the reverse, with wild optimism after wins and some more measured responses to set backs. 

I could be wrong though.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

On 22/08/2022 at 12:27, Davefevs said:

Spot on @Davefevs more balance less emotion, win , lose or draw.

I know Ian had a dig at corners/set pieces but TBH I felt we were trying something different on Sunday. Looking for near post flick ons and then also moving their defence around to create a shooting opportunity on the edge of the Cardiff box. Given that only only c3% of corners ever lead direct to a goal, it’s not a bad idea to try new things and mix it up.

19 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

I know Ian had a dig at corners/set pieces but TBH I felt we were trying something different on Sunday. Looking for near post flick ons and then also moving their defence around to create a shooting opportunity on the edge of the Cardiff box. Given that only only c3% of corners ever lead direct to a goal, it’s not a bad idea to try new things and mix it up.

We also had a much smaller side out than Cardiff.

When we defended corners & free kicks there was a huge pressure on Atkinson to win the first ball (which he invariably did) because many of his team mates were marking players who were much taller & Martin wasn’t on the pitch for the vast majority of the game, either.

Trying a few of our corners that didn’t simply give Cardiff the opportunity to win an aerial challenge was smart.

The delivery from Naismith for Atkinson’s goal wasn’t too bad, was it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beni71 said:

Definitely KN’s low (scuffed) ball to near post was a new routine, just didn’t hit the pass cleanly / firmly and the runner was tracked in a timely enough manner as a result. 

• Like 1

On 22/08/2022 at 12:05, headhunter said:

We have seen elements of this identity since Pearson came in. 

All those elements have now seemingly come together which resulted in excellent wins against both Luton and Cardiff.