IGNORED

Love or hate them

redkev

41 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Driving home from Wembley, a guy in a United shirt walked down the road, took his keys out and went in through his front door.  

Man walks to his front door and goes in to his own house shock horror!!!

I suppose if we knew which road it was, it would help the story. Brislington Road, Anfield Road, Bloomfield Road or just Wembley Way??????????

39 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Not true, I'm afraid. Or not true based on our time at the top, at least. We played Everton midweek February '80 and there were bugger all in the Open End to my right. We played Utd midweek and there were thousands.

I remember us playing them on a Friday night 78/79 and the away end was almost empty 

4 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I’m 43 and I think the support is down to Sir Alex and the massive success they had.  When I was a kid in the 80’s everyone supported Liverpool cause they were winning.  Maybe in the 50’s that was the case I don’t know, but there have been 4 generations of kids born since then 

A lot to be said for parental influence, I still think sentimentality has played at least some part in their enduring place in the global hearts though I realise that's hard to quantify after such a long time, would they have been so globally admired and supported had it not it happened? I don't know.

Edited by pillred
Spelling

16 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Wasn't that impressed with them at Ashton Gate. Was expecting much better. 

Agree with this, we were good at the time bit I expected more from them...my brother in law (from Shrewsbury) is a MU fan.....said they fielded thier second team........Rushford, Martial, Lakaku, Imbrohimovic.....#whatever

18 hours ago, redkev said:

Most people hate them 

but Man Utd’s away support is superb 

Obviously sell out where ever they go .

always stand up and very very vocal . 

Hate them.

Hate that some Bristolians I know care about them.

Hate that there is a thread about them on our Bristol City forum.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I think they were subject to a ban - some of our more senior posters might recall?

Man Utd were subject to a ban at Ashton Gate during the 1976-77 season I recall. There'd been hooliganism at their previous away matches. It was made all ticket with Utd fans not allowed to buy any. 

Most of the Open End was United that day and I was in the Covered End stood next to a quiet United fan! It finished 1-1, United's Houston broke a leg and Gow and McIlroy were sent off for fighting. Chris Garland scored our goal.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KBbcfc said:

Where does this leave our fellow supporters from Sweden? Should they forget City and just follow their local team?

I’m sure they do follow their local team and if it’s what they want to do to follow a second team then fair play if it rocks their boat,it’s Bristol City supporters who follow another English team I find completely weird 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KBbcfc said:

Where does this leave our fellow supporters from Sweden? Should they forget City and just follow their local team?

You can choose to support whoever you want; I liked that that South American kid randomly chose to support Rovers.

There is however a certain type who chooses to support whichever team wins the most as though that reflects something upon them.

Zoe Ball was a Liverpool fan until they hit a sticky patch in the Souness era whereupon she switched to Man Utd; she said this on Fantasy Football League.

If I developed an interest in Spanish football I would not consider Real Madrid or Barcelona to support because of the type of English people who support them. I'd be looking for a provincial team similar to City.

Not that I have an interest in Spanish football.

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

That was a few years earlier then according to @handsofclay

We played Man Utd on a Saturday three times, and midweek once in that 76 - 80 run. I was at the midweek game, my first game. Stuart Pearson scored at the Open End and made his trademark clenched fist to thousands of them. 1979 we played them on Saturday 3 March.

They were taking thousands everywhere, every week, in the 70s. Ashton Gate was no exception. Not even when they were banned. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

We played Man Utd on a Saturday three times, and midweek once in that 76 - 80 run. I was at the midweek game, my first game. Stuart Pearson scored at the Open End and made his trademark clenched fist to thousands of them. 1979 we played them on Saturday 3 March.

They were taking thousands everywhere, every week, in the 70s. Ashton Gate was no exception. Not even when they were banned. 

Will get back to you,I’m sure we played them on a Friday,maybe it’s my memory 

4 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Yes, when Man Utd scored v City in that 1977 match the cheers went up from all four stands in the ground (although the United fan next to me in the East End remained quiet. The only reason I know he was a United fan was because when City scored he was even quieter). I was used to away fans only  being in the Open End, so it was bizarre hearing cheers from everywhere in the ground and the fact that they were banned too! I think City's attempt to ban United fans was an unmitigated failure.