IGNORED

Semenyo or Wells for Huddersfield?

old_eastender

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

When thinking about this, you have to take into account that this is the 4th midweek game in a row.  There is a balance between 'keeping the shirt' and making sure players aren't overplayed. | This is particularly the case at the end of the run of games (ie the next 2).  So far minutes have been spread amongst the forwards, but I do wonder if there will be some switching for the next 2 games.  Martin and Semenyo may start one game and Wells and Conway another

Just to add I think there’s a different mindset to rest / rotating for Cup matches and league matches.

I’ve no idea how Nige is gonna set out this next group of fixtures.  We do get a full week between Blackburn and Preston.

As it stands, we have a decent availability.  Would rather Williams played Wednesday that rest but play Saturday, but if he plays Scott and Massengo (or King or James) on Wednesday night I’m not overly fussed.

Sykes will be interesting, back from suspension.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just to add I think there’s a different mindset to rest / rotating for Cup matches and league matches.

I’ve no idea how Nige is gonna set out this next group of fixtures.  We do get a full week between Blackburn and Preston.

As it stands, we have a decent availability.  Would rather Williams played Wednesday that rest but play Saturday, but if he plays Scott and Massengo (or King or James) on Wednesday night I’m not overly fussed.

i like sykes, hes got that bit of bite thats been missing since jack hunt went

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

There is a different mindset but there will also be data and input from likes of Dave Rennie.  

Primarily concerned with protecting Weimann who had 10 days off over the summer and won't stop again until November 

Edited by The Bard
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

We've got Sykes and Semenyo back for the Huddersfield game, so a full strength squad with the exception of Kalas and Benarous. Williams should be able to manage midweek games now.

For me, we start with Wells and give Semenyo the last 30.

Starting line up;

...................Bentley

...Vyner  Naismith  Atkinson

Sykes  Scott  Williams  Dasilva

................Weiman

...........Conway  Wells

Semenyo on for Wells last 30, maybe Martin for Conway.

Agree - hopefully this line up.

In my opinion, despite being a big Wells fan, he has to start.

Semenyo we don't know if he's ready for 90 minutes and the same time, we don't know if he will be here come midnight on Thursday.

Conway is flying on all cylinders but struggles around the 65-70 minute mark.

Start with Wells and Conway, it's working well and Wells was unlucky not to Score at Blackpool and it was his header the keeper tipped onto the bar which bounce off their player into the net, so he was unfortunate there.

By starting with Conway and Semenyo, we run the risk of after 60-65 minutes, we need to replace both and bring on Wells and Martin which is a polar opposite partnership.

Better off starting with Wells and Conway and whichever looks more tired with 30 to go, swap for Semenyo and if the other needs swapping later in game, Martin can come on then.

Too risky to start Semenyo / Conway at present and Wells doesn't deserve to be dropped also. 

• Like 3

We have no way of knowing how near Semenyo is to being able to play a minimum of 60-70 minutes, do we?

There’s your answer.

Personally with Conway, Wells, Weimann & Martin all available as well I’m much more concerned as to how we find a defensive set up that stops us needing to score 3 to win a game.

Luton & Cardiff looked like we had, but we didn’t on Saturday, that’s for sure.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

We have no way of knowing how near Semenyo is to being able to play a minimum of 60-70 minutes, do we?

There’s your answer.

Personally with Conway, Wells, Weimann & Martin all available as well I’m much more concerned as to how we find a defensive set up that stops us needing to score 3 to win a game.

Luton & Cardiff looked like we had, but we didn’t on Saturday, that’s for sure.

Agree. The problem is not goals being scored but goals conceded. It’s exactly the same issue as last season. We need to be better in midfield and defensively, cutting out the costly mistakes and “gimme” goals.

After being out for a while he needs to be brought back gradually, no need to rush while we are scoring goals.
There is also Pearsons "rule" that you have the shirt and perform, you keep it. Wells has been doing ok.
Regards defence, I wonder if Nige is considering giving Klose a start. Vyner has done OK, but maybe time for a change.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2022 at 12:28, spudski said:

Remember when Wells and Semenyo have crossed from wide?

It's not rigid.

Depending on direction attacking on.

With Semenyo right forward...you have Conway, Weimann and Wells to aim at.

On left...with Wells wider...you have Conway, Weimann and Semenyo to aim at.

Massengo and Scott push up

Wells out wide has been proven to not work, like Weimann, it makes sense to just play him in his proper position. I wouldn’t want to see HNM as a wing back either, unless that’s a midfield diamond in which case we’d get obliterated out wide defensively.

I’d like us to move away from 3-5-2 as well, but can’t see it happening.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Wells out wide has been proven to not work, like Weimann, it makes sense to just play him in his proper position. I wouldn’t want to see HNM as a wing back either, unless that’s a midfield diamond in which case we’d get obliterated out wide defensively.

I’d like us to move away from 3-5-2 as well, but can’t see it happening.

Your looking at the line up rigidly. Wells isn't out wide. He's just the left forward.

He supplied the pinpoint cross for Conway to score recently. He wasn't playing wide...but he had to cover that part of the pitch.

Don't look at the formation as rigid 

It's playing those particular players in a lose formation...it transpires as a match develops.??

• Confused 1

On 28/08/2022 at 12:42, The Bard said:

When thinking about this, you have to take into account that this is the 4th midweek game in a row.  There is a balance between 'keeping the shirt' and making sure players aren't overplayed. | This is particularly the case at the end of the run of games (ie the next 2).  So far minutes have been spread amongst the forwards, but I do wonder if there will be some switching for the next 2 games.  Martin and Semenyo may start one game and Wells and Conway another

From his interview today Nige doesn’t believe in rotating the forward line.

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

I agree.

Think what he’s implying is that if players are playing well they’ll jerk the shirt.  If they aren’t, they’ll lose it…and that drop off in performance level might be because they’re tired / fatigued…hence it’ll happen anyway.

Did I read that right?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Think what he’s implying is that if players are playing well they’ll jerk the shirt.  If they aren’t, they’ll lose it…and that drop off in performance level might be because they’re tired / fatigued…hence it’ll happen anyway.

Did I read that right?

Exactly how I read it.

If the likes of Rennie say "he's knackered and needs to rest" then that is "rotation".

If a player plays crap, he's dropped - that is rotation.

He won't rotate players to keep them happy in other words.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did I read that right?

That was my understanding, in fact with the exception of Williams, who we were clearly managing early on (nothing specific about whether that continues to be the case), he suggested that was the case across the whole team.

Certainly be interesting with Sykes, as my hunch is he’ll return to the team.

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

That was my understanding, in fact with the exception of Williams, who we were clearly managing early on (nothing specific about whether that continues to be the case), he suggested that was the case across the whole team.

Certainly be interesting with Sykes, as my hunch is he’ll return to the team.

Agree, Sykes back in at RWB, Scott into CM….to be paired with anyone from Williams, James or Massengo.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, Sykes back in at RWB, Scott into CM….to be paired with anyone from Williams, James or Massengo.

Yep, but non of those three have done anything to nail down a starting place.

If I had to make the selection it would be James first, Massengo second, and Williams third. Based purely on what I've seen so far.

On 28/08/2022 at 14:13, redsquirrel said:

would semenyo have fought in the corner getting lumps kicked out of him if he thought he might be off this week??

He’s off all the signs are there unfortunately he won’t be signing a new deal here so this window is the last chance to get a big deal done for him. 

Looking forward to seeing if we do anything with the extra money on the same night.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Logical-City said:

He’s off all the signs are there unfortunately he won’t be signing a new deal here so this window is the last chance to get a big deal done for him. 

Looking forward to seeing if we do anything with the extra money on the same night.

Why is it the last chance? With the one year extension he is really contracted with us until summer 2024. 

I don't know that he has been offered a new contract by us, so the idea that he is refusing to sign one is novel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Logical-City said:

Surely January is the better chance of a big deal:

1. fees in January are panic-purchases / price pushed up
  2. he will be fit and banging in goals, enhancing his worth, confirming that he’s not a “half season wonder” to those clubs who might have a few doubts
  3. might’ve been to World Cup too

I appreciate next summer will have potential to start seeing his value decline, but probably only right at the end of that window.

So, I don’t agree that this window is the best chance.

• Like 1