IGNORED

Semenyo or Wells for Huddersfield?

old_eastender

Given that Conway ought to be a must start, and Martin should be a must NOT start. Do we continue with Wells partnering Tommy, or with 2 in 2 sub appearances, do we unleash Semenyo from the start v Huddersfield?

I'd hand the start to the Semenyo. Thought Wells worked hard but his touch was off against Blackpool, he also seemed to tire badly in the last 15 mins. Time to see if Semenyo and Conway can build a good understanding.

6 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Given that Conway ought to be a must start, and Martin should be a must NOT start. Do we continue with Wells partnering Tommy, or with 2 in 2 sub appearances, do we unleash Semenyo from the start v Huddersfield?

I'd hand the start to the Semenyo. Thought Wells worked hard but his touch was off against Blackpool, he also seemed to tire badly in the last 15 mins. Time to see if Semenyo and Conway can build a good understanding.

Who knows if either of them will still be here???

?

If they had a week between games I'd hope for Semenyo but we're maybe going to ease him back in gently.

Semenyo is quicker, stronger, better at pressing, and better at finishing so he has to play when fit.

I also think Semenyo and Conway could be a good partnership. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

If they had a week between games I'd hope for Semenyo but we're maybe going to ease him back in gently.

Semenyo is quicker, stronger, better at pressing, and better at finishing so he has to play when fit.

I also think Semenyo and Conway could be a good partnership. 

Well Conway has already provided the assist for two Semenyo goals, which is a good sign. Having said that it doesn't look like he was credited with an assist yesterday for some reason?

39 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Wells for me

• Like 1

Semenyo to start. Give him 60 minutes, natural progression. He’s an absolute beast and even the Blackpool commentators were creaming in their pants about him yesterday and absolutely puzzled he wasn’t starting. I’ll be glad when Thursday is over, although I don’t think he’s going now. We have no time to replace him. 

At some point in the near future I'd like to see the following line up during a match.

The energy in midfield has offensive and defensive attributes. 

Energy to press offensively. Lots of pace.

Imo it would cause teams a nightmare.

_______________Bents_________________

Wilson_______Naismith_______Atkinson

______________Williams________________

_______Scott___________HNM__________

_____________Weimann________________

__Semenyo___Conway____Wells_______

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Attack wasn’t the problem but Semenyo is too good to leave out, depends if he’s being sold I guess that will dictate if he starts or not 

Edited by Logical-City
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

At some point in the near future I'd like to see the following line up during a match.

Could perhaps dominate central areas and striking areas but I worry about 2 v 1 overloads in wide areas- is the balance quite right?

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could perhaps dominate central areas and striking areas but I worry about 2 v 1 overloads in wide areas- is the balance quite right?

When defending Scott and Massengo fill the holes between Wilson and Atkinson. It's pretty much what happens now when we defend. The 3 become 5...with Williams making 6 when necessary.

Obviously Semenyo, Weimann and Wells also drop back as they do already.

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

When defending Scott and Massengo fill the holes between Wilson and Atkinson. It's pretty much what happens now when we defend. The 3 become 5...with Williams making 6 when necessary.

So you end up with Scott and Massengo playing centre half

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well put. I was trying to work it out, it's bold that shape and could be very technical but feels unbalanced to me...I wouldn't go for it personally. Would probably cause us quite a few self-inflicted issues.

You could say that !

It would also take weeks and weeks on training ground to try and coach 

It would be ‘eventful’ !!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, spudski said:

What we have to do better in a back 3 system is ensure at least 2 of the 3 actually mark….whether that be their usual opponent, or players rotating and being passed on.  Can’t comment on yesterday per se, but too often our midfielders have to track their men, rather than being able to pass on.  An example: The midfield opponent drags Massengo towards our goal , whilst the forward drops short off of Atkinson into the space.  Atkinson ends up not marking, Massengo then looks like he’s left a load of space and gone too deep.  They should pass on each other’s man.  Very simplistic, granted, but an area to improve.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, spudski said:

Sykes over Massengo a much better player, the real conundrum is how to get Wilson Scott & Sykes in the starting 11. It can't be done in the current formation has to ne a 4-3-3.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

So you end up with Scott and Massengo playing centre half

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well put. I was trying to work it out, it's bold that shape and could be very technical but feels unbalanced to me...I wouldn't go for it personally. Would probably cause us quite a few self-inflicted issues.

When defending Scott and Massengo often end up in those positions. One covering the Right defender...the other covering the left defender.

They can either play outside of them, or in the hole between defenders. With Williams in the middle.

You then have fast outlets when you win the ball back in Semenyo, Weimann and Wells.

It's not new...they are regularly in these positions....and we've seen through balls breaking the lines from Scott and Massengo when possession regained.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What we have to do better in a back 3 system is ensure at least 2 of the 3 actually mark….whether that be their usual opponent, or players rotating and being passed on.  Can’t comment on yesterday per se, but too often our midfielders have to track their men, rather than being able to pass on.  An example: The midfield opponent drags Massengo towards our goal , whilst the forward drops short off of Atkinson into the space.  Atkinson ends up not marking, Massengo then looks like he’s left a load of space and gone too deep.  They should pass on each other’s man.  Very simplistic, granted, but an area to improve.

I've also noticed this... especially with Massengo.

Edited by spudski

I can’t see Nige leaving Wells out for Semenyo. Wells has the shirt and as Nige frequently points that it’s upto the players to make the most of their opportunity when it comes and Wells has performed well alongside Conway.

I’m guessing that Semenyo will be on the bench against Huddersfield. 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

No width?

Just now, KegCity said:

No width?

Remember when Wells and Semenyo have crossed from wide?

It's not rigid.

Depending on direction attacking on.

With Semenyo right forward...you have Conway, Weimann and Wells to aim at.

On left...with Wells wider...you have Conway, Weimann and Semenyo to aim at.

Massengo and Scott push up

• Like 1

When thinking about this, you have to take into account that this is the 4th midweek game in a row.  There is a balance between 'keeping the shirt' and making sure players aren't overplayed. | This is particularly the case at the end of the run of games (ie the next 2).  So far minutes have been spread amongst the forwards, but I do wonder if there will be some switching for the next 2 games.  Martin and Semenyo may start one game and Wells and Conway another

33 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Sykes over Massengo a much better player, the real conundrum is how to get Wilson Scott & Sykes in the starting 11. It can't be done in the current formation has to ne a 4-3-3.

We are clearly a 3 4 1 2 side and that's good.  No way should it be changed to shoehorn 2 unproven players into it. 

We've got Sykes and Semenyo back for the Huddersfield game, so a full strength squad with the exception of Kalas and Benarous. Williams should be able to manage midweek games now.

For me, we start with Wells and give Semenyo the last 30.

Starting line up;

...................Bentley

...Vyner  Naismith  Atkinson

Sykes  Scott  Williams  Dasilva

................Weiman

...........Conway  Wells

Semenyo on for Wells last 30, maybe Martin for Conway.

• Like 1