IGNORED

Han-Noah Massengo

Tim Monaghan

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Not so sure he’s an obvious candidate for helping us to win games personally 

Probably not, but I just think he’d have been a decent option in tonight’s game, given all the circumstances.

He’s not the messiah. But he’s also not the naughty boy that some (including it seems NP) suggest. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

Probably not, but I just think he’d have been a decent option in tonight’s game, given all the circumstances.

He’s not the messiah. But he’s also not the naughty boy that some (including it seems NP) suggest. 

Pearson’s never claimed or even hinted that he’s a ‘naughty boy’ Dave

In fact he’s stated the opposite

So where are you getting that from ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

The lad was signed for multiple millions of pounds and never really justified the outlay on him and was completely mismanaged. Will defo go into the poor signings column of this current city era 

“Poor” and “one of the worst in history” are slightly different things. 

I agree with @MyBrotherErnie, a player who’s achieved over 100 Championship appearances in midfield at his age - if you really think he’s one of the worst signings in our history I’d suggest that you’ve maybe forgotten a few,

He was a typical Ashton signing. Bought with a potential profit in mind, but without much idea of the footballing route that was going to achieve that. 

5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Pearson’s never claimed or even hinted that he’s a ‘naughty boy’ Dave

In fact he’s stated the opposite

So where are you getting that from ?

As I suspect you realise I’m using that well known Monty Python expression to make a point and it’s not meant to be taken literally. 

And I did say “seems”. Don’t you think there’s some evidence at the moment that HNM is missing from NPs proverbial bus. A bit like Pring was for the early part of the season. 

• Like 1

Just now, italian dave said:

“Poor” and “one of the worst in history” are slightly different things. 

I agree with @MyBrotherErnie, a player who’s achieved over 100 Championship appearances in midfield at his age - if you really think he’s one of the worst signings in our history I’d suggest that you’ve maybe forgotten a few,

He was a typical Ashton signing. Bought with a potential profit in mind, but without much idea of the footballing route that was going to achieve that. 

It’s very relative. He was reportedly brought in on about £7.2 million from what I was seeing. Which is truly woeful business when you break it down.

100 appearances, 0 goals, minute number of goal involvements, very little defensive impetus outside of his pressing. Couldn’t assert a regular starting berth over players we signed for a fraction of the amount, brought in on frees, or that came up through the academy.

I’m not saying HNM is one of the worst players we have ever had, I would have very much liked him to have signed a new contract and continued his development with us, but I’m saying he is one of the worst transfers considering the price we paid and what we now stand to lose. There is a difference.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Not sure why people are getting the wrong end of the stick here. He is a player that swings from sensational to terrible, often game to game. He is young, so it happens, but as he wants out, we are building for the future, so we are not going to develop a player for another club with that level of variable performance. It is far better to use players and develop players who will be here in the future. It also looks to me like he will be gone in January for a nominal fee that represents the youth development fee we would get in the summer. Any concept of falling out or naughty step is well wide of the mark , it is the club looking to the future not the next game. The same will be true for Bentley who will also be off in January . With 12/13 players out of contract, the club has to try and manage that transition . Han may become a good player, there is much `I like about his game, but he is leaving soon, so we move on. The club know very well the transition in squad, due to contracts in place,  was going to take 3 seasons, only next year will we see a semblance of a balanced (financially) and affordable squad. With a ix of youth players and experience. 

I'm not entirely sure what contribution tonight made to the development of future players. I'd rather we had just looked to the next game - a potential plum tie and some much needed income.

I agree with pretty much everything you say about HNM and his situation - I just felt tonight would have been an opportunity to use someone who's still our 'asset' and get some benefit from that. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

It’s very relative. He was reportedly brought in on about £7.2 million from what I was seeing. Which is truly woeful business when you break it down.

100 appearances, 0 goals, minute number of goal involvements, very little defensive impetus outside of his pressing. Couldn’t assert a regular starting berth over players we signed for a fraction of the amount, brought in on frees, or that came up through the academy.

I’m not saying HNM is one of the worst players we have ever had, I would have very much liked him to have signed a new contract and continued his development with us, but I’m saying he is one of the worst transfers considering the price we paid and what we now stand to lose. There is a difference.

It wasn’t £7.2….that’s often how French press report fees, as it the whole thing (fee, wages, add-ons).  It was around the €3m mark, and that is a reasonably reflected in the accounts when you add up other fees that season.

9 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I'm not entirely sure what contribution tonight made to the development of future players. I'd rather we had just looked to the next game - a potential plum tie and some much needed income.

I agree with pretty much everything you say about HNM and his situation - I just felt tonight would have been an opportunity to use someone who's still our 'asset' and get some benefit from that. 

I’d have him in also, I think he’s a million miles better than Kadji imho, but that’s Nige’s decision…I don’t think it’s anything other than what I posted above.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It wasn’t £7.2….that’s often how French press report fees, as it the whole thing (fee, wages, add-ons).  It was around the €3m mark, and that is a reasonably reflected in the accounts when you add up other fees that season.

I’d have him in also, I think he’s a million miles better than Kadji imho, but that’s Nige’s decision…I don’t think it’s anything other than what I posted above.

We only paid €3m.............well that makes it alright then!! The most obvious example of a transfer policy that has never been joined up whilst the current Chairman has been at the helm (that's a lot of transfers). Yes, he has his strengths but it's not scoring goals, setting them up, winning tackles or getting on the end of headers. Needs to play in a specific type of team to be anything like effective and that team isn't us. We cannot even put a Euro per goal stat on him cos he's never hit the back of the net for us. I do exactly as Nige is doing with him - give him game time just nowhere near the muck and bullets of the First Team where we are going to need committed players over the next few months. In terms of commitment, I must add that Semenyo is absolutely stealing a wage from us right now. I would be tempted to leave him out of it altogether on Saturday - "Yes Antoine we all realise you don't want to get injured for the World Cup so stay at ******* home today"..............

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

On 29/08/2022 at 09:18, harrys said:

Too answer your question, no he is not one of the most over-rated players we’ve had (for that I give you Marlon Pack) on his day he reminds me of the one and only Gerry Gow, there is no greater compliment than that

Not sure on your marlon pack comment. I still feel we miss him in midfield . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Any idea about wages Dave? Which would be just as relevant too

22 minutes ago, Harry said:

I understand there are ‘other’ factors at work here, re Massengo. 
Han is apparently a lovely kid but ‘allegedly’ his dad is in control of his affairs and he’s a nightmare and is sucking the life out of his kid. 

Think the same was said by French Media at the time he signed for us as well so would not be surprised by this at all!

Shame really, as somebody said ultimately goes down as a very poor signing which is a real shame after his initial performances. For one reason or another has never really kicked on! Loads of rumours last summer we turned down a decent offer from Watford (I think), felt at the time we should have sold and recouped something for him as never felt he would sign a new deal with us.

Will be an interesting career to follow once he leaves!

• Like 1

On 29/08/2022 at 07:28, Ghost Rider said:

This is going to be pretty controversial, or is it? Han-Noah Massengo, in my humble opinion is one of the most overated Bristol City players in history!  Can someone actually explain to me what he brings to the table? 

I don't want this to turn into a slagging match, as maybe I just need to be educated. This is how I view it. He has 1 good game in every 10. He doesn't score goals, he doesn't assist. He doesn't want to be here and is refusing to sign a contract. Granted, he runs around a lot, but he also constantly loses his man. I just don't get him as a player and why the fans love him.

If his name was Paul Smith, had a short back and sides haircut, and we'd signed him from Doncaster, the fans would be screaming blue murder. 

@DavefevsHave you got any stats on him and how he ranks against other midfielders in the league? I'd bet bottom dollar that even Bakinson has better stats for City. 

Am I missing something? 

We love him because he looks cool and we have a song for him end of

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hinsleburg said:

Think the same was said by French Media at the time he signed for us as well so would not be surprised by this at all!

Shame really, as somebody said ultimately goes down as a very poor signing which is a real shame after his initial performances. For one reason or another has never really kicked on! Loads of rumours last summer we turned down a decent offer from Watford (I think), felt at the time we should have sold and recouped something for him as never felt he would sign a new deal with us.

Will be an interesting career to follow once he leaves!

Absolutely crazy that for whatever reason he can’t make the squad

4 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Not sure on your marlon pack comment. I still feel we miss him in midfield . 

I think Massengo and Gow should never appear in the same sentence. Gow was a team player, Gow stopped made and scored goals. Gow intimidated the opposition. Massengo is not even in the same hemisphere.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Han Noah has just posted some pictures on Instagram of him playing for the 21s with the caption:

"Controlling what’s controllable.
Experiencing a new challenge on the football journey but I’ll make the most out of it. Always grateful to put on the shirt. You reds ✌?"

If that's genuine and he means it fair play.

If he's just trying to save face with the fans and leave on reasonable terms then again fair enough kids got a career to protect

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Personally I don’t think that HNM has developed as a player as much as I had hoped. He arrived as a real prospect but it just hasn’t happened for him.

Its difficult to say why that’s the case. He’s certainly beefed up and is physically he’s become a man but apart from the occasional match he’s hardly ever dominated a game in the way some midfielders do.

Maybe that’s partly why Nige hasn’t utilised him much. That along with HNM not signing a new contract of course.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

6 hours ago, billywedlock said:

That would certainly explain why he just looks out of sorts mentally, well since last season really. Parents managing their kids, it usually ends in tears. 

This should have been his year and opportunity to stake a  claim for a regular starting position 

Antoine now been represented by his father too. ???

9 hours ago, CTIDhc said:

Han Noah has just posted some pictures on Instagram of him playing for the 21s with the caption:

Experiencing a new challenge on the football journey but I’ll make the most out of it. Always grateful to put on the shirt. You reds ✌?"

If he's just trying to save face with the fans and leave on reasonable terms then again fair enough kids got a career to protect

Well someone, who HNM follows - also posted in French “HN7 the return ?? are you with the U17 or U19” and Han has replied with “hahaha the biggest mess in the world ??

So not sure how happy he is to be a newly placed regular in the stiffs

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Personally I don’t think that HNM has developed as a player as much as I had hoped. He arrived as a real prospect but it just hasn’t happened for him.

Its difficult to say why that’s the case. He’s certainly beefed up and is physically he’s become a man but apart from the occasional match he’s hardly ever dominated a game in the way some midfielders do.

Maybe that’s partly why Nige hasn’t utilised him much. That along with HNM not signing a new contract of course.

True but hes no worse than the dross hes playing at the moment at least he can run .

10 hours ago, CTIDhc said:

Nigel said recently that he had had a good discussion with Han who understood the position and told Nigel he would continue to work hard and be ready if he's needed.

46 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Nigel said recently that he had had a good discussion with Han who understood the position and told Nigel he would continue to work hard and be ready if he's needed.

Who knows, Nige taking the chance to see Kadji might be over after last night and he might need to use Massengo again.  Probably unlikely, but I don’t think Nige would deliberately cut off his nose if he thought Han might do a job for a particular game or group of games.  Just watched the u21s highlights and it doesn’t appear that Han is strolling around.

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if HNM had a crew cut and was called Joe Smith, and had arrived here from Tranmere rather than Monaco, would he still be here now? Feel like he's improved since he arrived, but maybe only half as much as we expected, if that. 

I think he needs a decent midfield around him to flourish, probably as part of a 3. I wouldn't be surprised either way if he ends up:

a) playing in Europa League within 2 seasons

b) Moves to French 2nd Division and we never hear of him again

Great potential, but as others on here have said, his variability is huge.

• Like 6