IGNORED

Baker retires

Unan

9 minutes ago, glynriley said:

A testimonial against Villa in the summer perhaps?

Good luck Nathan. 

Wonder if the timing of this means we are offering Bamba a deal?

I thought the same, it clears a salary/budget from the books and perhaps Bamba is coming in on a one year deal now?

Last of the Man United team left departs the building, and one the best parts of it for me.

Exact kind of defender we're missing atm, brave committed, no-nonsense.

Hope the club leaves the door open for him to do his coaching badges with us if that's an option he's thinking of taking up.

Best of luck Bakes.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

It's easy to forget how good Bakes was, he's played in the Prem & in an FA cup semi final.  I mean it as a compliment when I say no forward would have ever enjoyed playing against him.  Such a shame he's had to retire early but clearly his health is paramount.

Too right, people say football is soft these days but he was a physical, tough bloke.

Big Villa fan, so I always enjoyed his first tackle whenever he faced Birmingham, remember him kicking one of their strikers all game until he went off..

19 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Yeh I hope this happens if it's something he'd like.

I can only echo what others say. He comes across as a great guy, and this must have been a tough decision. I liked his commitment on the pitch, and he was a good servant for us. Villa supporting friends also never had a bad word to say about him.

I hope he does very very well in the future.

Whilst we all thought this was coming it’s still sad news; albeit clearly the right thing to do, his health is the most important thing. 

He’s been a model pro for us and played in some superb games and will always be remembered fondly. 

Some sort of recognition on Wednesday night wouldn’t go amiss? 

People probably know I’m a big fan of his, he had his limitations but he’s the sort of defender that gets the fans off their seats with a big tackle and a physical force against tough strikers. He was a Flint 2.0, similar game just better at it.

Gutted he won’t play again, but health is more important

As per previous posts, unsurprising and sad, but has to be the right decision for his health given the number of head injuries he has sustained over his career. On his day, as good as any central defender we have had at the club, and it always felt a bit of a coup when he first came here.

Good luck Bakes and hope you stay well. A testimonial against Villa would seem the obvious way to give him a proper send off.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Good luck Nathan. 

Wonder if the timing of this means we are offering Bamba a deal?

56 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Yes that would be a great way to do it, or at least a Nathan Baker day at a home game or something. Yes potentially with Bamba, but I think the club would have been aware along time ago he was going to retire just waiting for him to be ready to publicly announce it. 

I thought the same with Bamba. Possibly a deal on the table once the Baker situation was resolved - presumably it was clear that a resolution was forthcoming?

As I've said elsewhere, news we've all expected for a while, but a shame nonetheless. Health and wellbeing comes first especially after so many concussions over a short period of time really. 

No nonsense defender who will be missed. Perhaps this will put comments such as "made of glass" and "sicknote" that we've seen and heard over the years into perspective.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do next big man. I do wonder if he will choose to be involved in some type of work/charity involved with head injuries in football, especially as he's had the misfortune of having first hand experience. I don't know, pure guess from me, it may not even be something he would want to be involved with as it may be too raw.

Edited by Taz
A testimonial with Villa 100% seems the right thing to do.

Last year we were having some work done on our house and a couple of guys from Worcester were part of the team. Of course we talked football and finding out I was a City supporter (after about 15 nanoseconds) they said that they’d gone to school with Bakes, had been in the same year and always followed his career with interest. 

They said that he was a really nice guy but wasn’t as mad keen on football as many of the other kids - he was just very good at playing it! Hopefully, if he has interests away from football it will widen his opportunities to make for himself, a new career either in or out of the game. 

All the very best for your future Bakes. You’ll always be very welcome down at the Gate. 

• Like 5