IGNORED

U21s today v Birmingham

bcfc01

Well that was a couple of hours of my life I’ll never get back.  I’m afraid every time I watch a ‘youth game’ at City I end up wondering what was the point.  Utterly sterile; lots of backwards and forwards and side to side passing but very little imagination or flair.  Rather confirms my feelings about academies which is that they train kids to be proficient individuals, playing for themselves, and they’re petrified of making mistakes.  Beats me how a player like Tommy Conway emerged from that.  Joe Low looks a monster and shouted a lot; Sol Bamba had a run out but is nowhere near Championship level on that showing; and several allegedly promising players (e.g. Owers, Towler, Kadji, Blackwell) looked pretty ordinary.  Sorry to be so negative, but I did come away thinking how dry and pointless it all seemed.

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Well that was a couple of hours of my life I’ll never get back.  I’m afraid every time I watch a ‘youth game’ at City I end up wondering what was the point.  Utterly sterile; lots of backwards and forwards and side to side passing but very little imagination or flair.  Rather confirms my feelings about academies which is that they train kids to be proficient individuals, playing for themselves, and they’re petrified of making mistakes.  Beats me how a player like Tommy Conway emerged from that.  Joe Low looks a monster and shouted a lot; Sol Bamba had a run out but is nowhere near Championship level on that showing; and several allegedly promising players (e.g. Owers, Towler, Kadji, Blackwell) looked pretty ordinary.  Sorry to be so negative, but I did come away thinking how dry and pointless it all seemed.

Funny, when I watched many of last season’s u23 games, I thought we played a very different brand of u23 football to most.  A lot of teams play the football you describe, nice patterns, look pretty but don’t do a lot with it.  I’m generalising of course, but City I see playing more robust, less pretty football…but imho more akin to a proper senior championship match.

All about opinions though.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Jees… I probably wouldn’t go again if I were you!!!

Niggly game dominated by a bizarrely fussy referee. No wonder Nige is pulling his hair out. 

Two relatively evenly matched teams where Birmingham had the lions share of non threatening possession but City we’re never really threatened other than the two chances they had. The penalty and the late close range miss which they should have scored. Doesn’t matter what level football is played, sometimes you get a dead game. Seemed a bit like that today. 

City had a few square pegs in round holes today as well which hampered their usual creative fluidity with Owers at LB second half and Marley Rose (usually a winger / 10) and Tommy Backwell alongside him instead of his customary up and down midfield role. Thought Kadji had one of his better games today and Joe Low looks like one of Jose’s buses he often parks. Proper CB that lad. Bamba looked very rusty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Often the criticism of our youth teams fails to take into account that we genuinely do play youngsters. Of course we have the odd older player, like today but our U21's are usually littered with players who are 18 and younger. When you add in the fact that the very best are either fast tracked into the first team squad, or loaned out, then it takes the next generation a little bit of time to jump into their place.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Hup said:

Jees… I probably wouldn’t go again if I were you!!!

Niggly game dominated by a bizarrely fussy referee. No wonder Nige is pulling his hair out. 

Two relatively evenly matched teams where Birmingham had the lions share of non threatening possession but City we’re never really threatened other than the two chances they had. The penalty and the late close range miss which they should have scored. Doesn’t matter what level football is played, sometimes you get a dead game. Seemed a bit like that today. 

City had a few square pegs in round holes today as well which hampered their usual creative fluidity with Owers at LB second half and Marley Rose (usually a winger / 10) and Tommy Backwell alongside him instead of his customary up and down midfield role. Thought Kadji had one of his better games today and Joe Low looks like one of Jose’s buses he often parks. Proper CB that lad. Bamba looked very rusty.

I don’t disagree with most of your comments to, though I didn’t see much wrong with the referee.  Yes he was a bit fussy, but he seemed to get most decisions right (except the penalty, from where I was sitting!).  It’s the sterility of it all that worried me.  I watch a lot of football at youth and grassroots levels, and at least you get some passion.  That was sadly lacking today.  The trouble is that it all counts for very little, except in terms of the progress of the individual.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

39 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I don’t disagree with most of your comments to, though I didn’t see much wrong with the referee.  Yes he was a bit fussy, but he seemed to get most decisions right (except the penalty, from where I was sitting!).  It’s the sterility of it all that worried me.  I watch a lot of football at youth and grassroots levels, and at least you get some passion.  That was sadly lacking today.  The trouble is that it all counts for very little, except in terms of the progress of the individual.

Fair enough fella. It’s a game of opinion I guess. 

One thing I do struggle with is fans who continually band ‘passion’ around - define passion? They worked their socks off, pressed all over the pitch, didn’t shirk a tackle or challenge. Kept going until the final whistle. We’re they vocal, by and large no. But young footballers aren’t like Tony Adams et al anymore. The games changed - in that respect (for the worse IMO). But lack passion, with all due respect I find those shouts ludicrous. 

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Often the criticism of our youth teams fails to take into account that we genuinely do play youngsters. Of course we have the odd older player, like today but our U21's are usually littered with players who are 18 and younger. When you add in the fact that the very best are either fast tracked into the first team squad, or loaned out, then it takes the next generation a little bit of time to jump into their place.

Well said. Tinman often mentions that we are playing Academy players anything between one and three years above their age group.

Pushing them along to develop quicker and thus benefit the first team squad with more choices.

• Like 1

Never seen Joe Low but know someone who has seen every U23 game this season who says he is outstanding & in their opinion is the best CB prospect we have and ready to step up to first team.

Anyone seen him and have an opinion as we might need him if we don’t sign anyone & injuries/suspensions bite?

14 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Never seen Joe Low but know someone who has seen every U23 game this season who says he is outstanding & in their opinion is the best CB prospect we have and ready to step up to first team.

Anyone seen him and have an opinion as we might need him if we don’t sign anyone & injuries/suspensions bite?

Only full 90 I’ve seen was Peterborough and he was very good.  Seen highlights (extended ones against Chippenham) and his short debut in last seasons pre-season friendly.

Want to see him against someone who stretches him in behind, because he’s pretty dominant with stuff in front of him.  Basically I want to see his mobility and what he’s like on the turn.

Certainly capable on the ball.

Reminded me of a young Middlesbrough defender in the mid, late-80s.  Can you guess who?

• Flames 1

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Only full 90 I’ve seen was Peterborough and he was very good.  Seen highlights (extended ones against Chippenham) and his short debut in last seasons pre-season friendly.

Want to see him against someone who stretches him in behind, because he’s pretty dominant with stuff in front of him.  Basically I want to see his mobility and what he’s like on the turn.

Reminded me of a young Middlesbrough defender in the mid, late-80s.  Can you guess who?

Gary Pallister? 

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

NP had three clubs. Shrewsbury Town in 80's, Wednesday 1989 to mid 90's and then Middlesbrough til late 90's.

Sorry @Davefevsto correct you but at advanced ages, the memory does play some tricks.

At my advanced age I have to check all facts although that's almost impossible as I can't remember what I'm looking for!

10 minutes ago, Big Nose said:

Southgate?

Nope….the irony of your user name ???

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

NP had three clubs. Shrewsbury Town in 80's, Wednesday 1989 to mid 90's and then Middlesbrough til late 90's.

Sorry @Davefevsto correct you but at advanced ages, the memory does play some tricks.

At my advanced age I have to check all facts although that's almost impossible as I can't remember what I'm looking for!

Nigel Pearson is not the correct answer, so no correction required.

8 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Gary Pallister? 

Correct Ronnie.  Reminds me of a young Gary Pallister (not Nige or Phlegm) in the way he moves and passes the ball.  You win a piece of data of your choice.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Every U21 (old u23s) game I've seen (loads) has been positive tbh. I've a few poor first halves but rarely a sterile game.

I've seen young players where I've thought "he'll be in the first team in a couple or three years" (Conway is a perfect example) and I've seen others which are ok but probably not up to the championship, and others where I've been totally wrong.

But never sterile.

Must have been a one off - have you seen many U21/U23 games ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hup said:

Fair enough fella. It’s a game of opinion I guess. 

One thing I do struggle with is fans who continually band ‘passion’ around - define passion? They worked their socks off, pressed all over the pitch, didn’t shirk a tackle or challenge. Kept going until the final whistle. We’re they vocal, by and large no. But young footballers aren’t like Tony Adams et al anymore. The games changed - in that respect (for the worse IMO). But lack passion, with all due respect I find those shouts ludicrous. 

I think ‘ludicrous’ is a bit strong.  I’ve always felt that the problem with academies are that they focus on the individual, and football is a team game.  We know the passion we feel as football supporters, and you can see the same passion in the players sometimes (and sometimes you can’t).  I think it’s about an emotional connection to the success of the team but I’m not sure that academies foster that, though I see a lot of it in grassroots youth football.  

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Every U21 (old u23s) game I've seen (loads) has been positive tbh. I've a few poor first halves but rarely a sterile game.

I've seen young players where I've thought "he'll be in the first team in a couple or three years" (Conway is a perfect example) and I've seen others which are ok but probably not up to the championship, and others where I've been totally wrong.

But never sterile.

Must have been a one off - have you seen many U21/U23 games ?

Yes I have, and as a result my expectations are never especially high, so today was not wholly surprising, but I did think it was one of the ‘flattest’ performances I’ve seen at those levels.  

Perhaps you’ve just been luckier than me in the games you’ve watched!