IGNORED

Zak Vyner 100 appearances

CyderInACan

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Thought he was excellent tonight 

I thought he had a good solid game.

The thing he lacks is aggression, there were times tonight (as in other games) where I was willing him to go through the opponent, show him you aren't going to be mucked around, or stick an elbow in when going for a header. He would find games a tad easier if he just had that aggression. He's a good footballer in his own right though.

• Like 5

The talent has always been there, it's just always been a question of can he stay switched on for the whole game.

Only seen the one game so far this year, but going by that and reports, it seems that he is taking the opportunity with both hands, and is currently worthy of a place in the team.

Fair play to the lad, keep it up!

There were a couple of occasions where he got done trying to "pinch" the ball and a couple of sloppy passes but overall a decent performance. Still trying to work out how we got through that 90 without conceding though!! That said I was always confident that if they equalised we would have gone up the other end and won the game at some point.

Made a couple of errors towards the end, outmuscled once & I thought he was pushed off it on another occasion but he had a decent game overall & his distribution (maybe because of his confidence improving?) was much better.

He is a valuable squad option being asked to play every game because of the Kalas situation, so fair play to him & he seems a very decent sort, too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Made a couple of errors towards the end, outmuscled once & I thought he was pushed off it on another occasion but he had a decent game overall & his distribution (maybe because of his confidence improving?) was much better.

He is a valuable squad option being asked to play every game because of the Kalas situation, so fair play to him & he seems a very decent sort, too.

Yeah, no doubt a fit and firing Kalas sees Vyner on the bench but overall he has done a very good job "filling in". We are a car crash waiting to happen at the back sometimes but the consistency in selection is also helping us to at least keep "some" clean sheets as opposed to "hardly any" last season. It's all moving forward atm!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I thought he had a good solid game.

The thing he lacks is aggression, there were times tonight (as in other games) where I was willing him to go through the opponent, show him you aren't going to be mucked around, or stick an elbow in when going for a header. He would find games a tad easier if he just had that aggression. He's a good footballer in his own right though.

He might read read Otib at 2pm on a Saturday or 7pm on a Tuesday to help with this ...

He is definitely being more physical this season, I’d still like him to be a bit more.

I don’t recall any cross-field diags last night, he passed the ball really well, put Sykes and Conway through on a couple of occasions.

Needs to get Sykes to either throw it to him on the full, or half-volley second bounce (if that makes sense).  He always has to take a split second more to get it under control and in most cases then has to go back to Naismith / Bentley.

There was one bit of superb cover first half in the centre of the pitch after Rhodes had dragged Naismith forward and they looked to get Thomas in.  A horrible ball bouncing in front of him, which he dealt really well with.

• Like 1

I remember his debut. It was against PNE iirc and they obviously knew the full back was a debutant and peppered him all game. It’s fair to say that he didn’t cope well at all and we lost the game - not entirely his fault tho.

Thats the first time that I’ve seen him do an interview. He came over pretty well and was far more articulate than I imagined.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I remember his debut. It was against PNE iirc and they obviously knew the full back was a debutant and peppered him all game. It’s fair to say that he didn’t cope well at all and we lost the game - not entirely his fault tho.

Thats the first time that I’ve seen him do an interview. He came over pretty well and was far more articulate than I imagined.

Not quite.

He actually scored his first City goal against Preston, and we won 2-0 - 16 January 2021 (according to Google).

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

His debut was against MK Dons and we won 2-0.

Indeed, on 20 February 2016 (according to Google).

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

FFS - every time Vyner’s debut gets mentioned you bring up PNE….wrongly!

Debut as per above, second match v Brighton (h) where we got stuffed…he had Jamie Murphy tear him apart.

• Flames 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FFS - every time Vyner’s debut gets mentioned you bring up PNE….wrongly!

Debut as per above, second match v Brighton (h) where we got stuffed…he had Jamie Murphy tear him apart.

Having witnessed numerous City debuts in 50+ years my recollections are not as sharp was many other posters are and  I don’t ever check Google for clarification.

I definitely remember a City defenders debut getting badly exposed by a team playing in white - with my dodgy memory I thought it was Vyner against PNE - obviously I got the wrong man and the wrong opposition!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, TomF said:

I wonder how much Naismith's communications help him?  I know Kai has other issues but we've lacked that sort of vocal player on pitch for years.

He certainly has improved his performances and concentration levels since Naismith has joined.

I have been slightly critical of Kai since he has joined but I don’t think anyone can deny that his vocal presence/leadership has helped us and in particular Vyner.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Adequate is fine isn’t it.

I think he's the weakest of all our defenders, but at the moment he does a job.  One thing I like about Vyner - just to show I'm not all about slagging a player off - is he carries an attacking threat. When he can get forward, he puts some great passes in, and can hit the odd goalbound thunderbolt himself. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Having witnessed numerous City debuts in 50+ years my recollections are not as sharp was many other posters are and  I don’t ever check Google for clarification.

Please try doing so then, everyone would benefit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I definitely remember a City defenders debut getting badly exposed by a team playing in white - with my dodgy memory I thought it was Vyner against PNE - obviously I got the wrong man and the wrong opposition!

Why would you check Google? It must be on the OS, surely? ?