IGNORED

Zak Vyner 100 appearances

CyderInACan

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Having witnessed numerous City debuts in 50+ years my recollections are not as sharp was many other posters are and  I don’t ever check Google for clarification.

I definitely remember a City defenders debut getting badly exposed by a team playing in white - with my dodgy memory I thought it was Vyner against PNE - obviously I got the wrong man and the wrong opposition!

I don’t expect people to have total recall, it’s just that you’ve made the same post about Vyner 50 times!  ???

Yes I have given Zak a lot if stick over his time in the first team. But he does seem to have better concentration and is more physical which is good. And has benefitted from Naismith's support. Still want to see more of a physical presence from him though . And I do feel he will be on the list of needs replacing when funds allow. But he done well in covering for Kala's so far 

Zak has received a lot of flack over the years for his performances. So I think it only fair to balance it out. I think he was our most impressive defender all night. Kept it simple against a physical centre forward and a very good winger in Diangana at this level. A few misplaced passes here and there, but he is not Maldini, and never were any attempted in any situation that would cause danger. 

What I loved most, is how much he seemed to enjoy the art of defending.

Really glad he has turned his City career around and proved a lot of people wrong. He is a very useful player to have in the squad, so I hope he will be staying with us for a good while. 

• Like 14
  • Flames 1

He is another whose career looked like it was over here or like he should be shipped out 6 months ago but who NP and staff are getting more out of.

See also DaSilva and Wells- IMO.

Some of it is down to necessity as well, but credit to the players in q and credit to NP and staff.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 5

I have always liked Vyner; frequently winced when he has tried yet one more overly optimistic long diagonal ball (which was obviously intercepted, as it was always going to be) and fumed when he was hopelessly outmuscled/out of position (Troy Deeney, inter alia, sticks in my mind), but, somehow, he is one of our own, and I have always wished him well.

He is far from the finished article, but still young, although, even now, may still fail to make it (at this level).

Nevertheless, with 100 appearances and a wonderful attitude, I can but keep my fingers crossed and wish him good luck.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 4

Had a good game tonight, got a bit “done” on the outside late in the game…think that’s why when Kalas came in it was him that went to RCB3.

He most definitely isn’t “league one at best”.  He’s not too championship either, but we should be grateful for his fitness record, because having played every league game this season, we’d have been shafted at RCB without him.

FWIW a lot of people making a lot of Klose’s talking.  I agree.  But Naismith talked / comm’d too.  What you get with Klose is 2 out of 3 CBs (with RA) who attack the aerial ball well, rather than 1 in 3.