IGNORED

I like this squad….

Davefevs

Agree with all of that.

To add, it’s tough to keep a player if they feel they want to move. All the mood music is that our young stars are happy to stay for now. That might change in time, but is also credit to NP and his team.

I don’t doubt NP looks at it all and would love to be able to strengthen in a couple of areas, but also don’t feel he has lost much sleep today. He just gets on with the hand he had been dealt.

• Like 4

Two things I really like are 

1) the consistency of strategy from the club. We’ve been told for weeks that we are only selling for the right place and only signing if players leave and the club have stuck to the strategy without panicking.

2) the character of the squad. Scott, Semenyo and Wells were the three rumoured departures and I am not worried about any of the three throwing their toys out the pram because they did not get a move.

• Like 7

It is very small for the number of games we have had to cram into August but overall we have coped.

Dave Rennie is probably as important as anyone on the staff but when you consider that we went into our 9th game in the month last night effectively with just Kalas & Klose unavailable, he’s doing a really great job.

We probably will have a couple of occasions when we really are struggling to have a bench that covers all eventualities but most of us understand the FFP constraints that bluffer Ashton has left us under.

If we can get Kalas back over the next month, (I’m sure we’ll see Klose very soon) then we’ll be competitive in the top half, I think.

• Like 7
  • Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

Great that it looks like we've kept everyone but must admit I'm still a bit worried about a points deduction... 

there’s a good argument to be had that even if we were now likely to pick up a small points deduction , keeping Antoine & Co will ensure that we come out in good profit points wise , on the decision to reject any bids

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

….I’m more than content that today has been quiet (in and out).

We’ve stuck to the plan.  We’ve probably done enough cost cutting in the last 12 months (lots of tough decisions impacting the squad strength / depth) to just about give us the option to turn away any interest in our players.

Well done all.

I like it too.

For the first time in years, there’s not a single player in the squad I’d like to get rid of. Upgrade yes, but they’re all on the bus for me

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Henry said:

I like it too.

For the first time in years, there’s not a single player in the squad I’d like to get rid of. Upgrade yes, but they’re all on the bus for me

Really good point.

Andy King we know is winding down his career but can still do a useful job, Max is a decent second choice keeper & the much maligned Vyner & Martin certainly have a role to play.

Absolutely no “clubs in the bag”, or totally pointless, sat in the stand with their coat on squad fillers with us now.

• Like 5

On the whole, I’m happy. My worry is that Pearson says we have no depth other than the XI that started last night and the subs that came on. Assuming you can add Kalas to that.  This means that Wilson and Tanner are not ready yet and Pring isn’t good enough one can assume. That is a very small squad and even two injuries will be stretching it. 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Really good point.

Andy King we know is winding down his career but can still do a useful job, Max is a decent second choice keeper & the much maligned Vyner & Martin certainly have a role to play.

Absolutely no “clubs in the bag”, or totally pointless, sat in the stand with their coat on squad fillers with us now.

Yep. And the smaller squad makes it easier to keep players happy and feel involved, probably does wonders for team unity too. As opposed to having several players who know they're surplus to requirements and aren't ever going to play barring the most severe injury crisis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yep. And the smaller squad makes it easier to keep players happy and feel involved, probably does wonders for team unity too. As opposed to having several players who know they're surplus to requirements and aren't ever going to play barring the most severe injury crisis.

An excellent and often overlooked point (Across all clubs) IMHO

Pearson has said since he came he wanted a smaller squad 

It comes with some risk , but has definite benefits

I do wonder how happy (a fair few of) Forests new  ‘squad’ will be in a few months 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

….I’m more than content that today has been quiet (in and out).

We’ve stuck to the plan.  We’ve probably done enough cost cutting in the last 12 months (lots of tough decisions impacting the squad strength / depth) to just about give us the option to turn away any interest in our players.

Well done all.

I agree with all of this and without getting carried away with luck with injuries is this season going to be our chance?

It seems that by not losing any of our stars and the spirit and togetherness apparent in the squad  that we might have that rare opportunity before we have to sell and rebuild again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

3 points max ?

But more likely no points deduction imo.

I've worked a range of scenarios.

I think it could be anything from 2 to 6* points. The second portion of the 3 has a big asterix by it as it is linked to the concept of us for example turning down a reasonable bid when we know we are set to fail FFP.

The Birmingham case is the closest precedent. EFL wanted a 2nd deduction, and lost but they won on appeal but no deduction was handed down.

However the EFL seemed keener on getting the principle upheld than the actual deduction as Birmingham passed it that year anyway owing to a late sale and leaseback of St Andrews and included the Che Adams sale in 2019-20 FFP returns.

The League Arbitration Panel appeared to:

a) Uphold the principle of an absolute obligation in this type of case.

b) Decline to deduct points, presumably as the numbers stacked up.

c) Acknowledge that Covid also played a role- they said it set no precedent or provided no future guide for sanctions in this type of case. Verdict was February or March 2020, EFL appealed and final verdict came out maybe mid June 2020.

Of course that's assuming that e.g. sell on clauses don't materialise or bigger Covid losses not accepted or we bite the bullet and sell someone important in January.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I'm very happy with the squad .seems a good group, developing well together, good age range yet quite a few in theory with room for growth. Not tried to scrounge PL loanees on the cheap either  youth has increasingly got its chance.

Football has been enjoyable too! Sykes given his relative lack of experience on the position has been a revelation at RWB so far!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HitchinRed said:

Agreed, but we really need to tie down those players with contracts that expire at the end of the season. Otherwise January onwards is going to be really tricky.

That’s the next work for RG.  But it won’t be easy to convince players signed on pre-covid wages to alter their contract now to a lower wage.  If you’re a player, you’d drag it out wouldn’t you (if you want to stay).  There will be a time when job security versus injury starts to change the urgency, but I think that’s more as we approach the next window.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've worked a range of scenarios.

I think it could be anything from 2 to 6* points. The second portion of the 3 has a big asterix by it as it is linked to the concept of us for example turning down a reasonable bid when we know we are set to fail FFP.

The Birmingham case is the closest precedent. EFL wanted a 2nd deduction, and lost but they won on appeal but no deduction was handed down.

However the EFL seemed keener on getting the principle upheld than the actual deduction as Birmingham passed it that year anyway owing to a late sale and leaseback of St Andrews and included the Che Adams sale in 2019-20 FFP returns.

The League Arbitration Panel appeared to:

a) Uphold the principle of an absolute obligation in this type of case.

b) Decline to deduct points, presumably as the numbers stacked up.

c) Acknowledge that Covid also played a role- they said it set no precedent or provided no future guide for sanctions in this type of case. Verdict was February or March 2020, EFL appealed and final verdict came out maybe mid June 2020.

Of course that's assuming that e.g. sell on clauses don't materialise or bigger Covid losses not accepted or we bite the bullet and sell someone important in January.

No way 6 points.  We aren’t £19m over like Reading.  Nobody could say we have taken the piss and deserve more points deducted on a basis of not selling.  This isn’t Che Adams at Brum.

I still think we won’t get any deduction.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No way 6 points.  We aren’t £19m over like Reading.  Nobody could say we have taken the piss and deserve more points deducted on a basis of not selling.  This isn’t Che Adams at Brum.

6 pts would have been at the worst end of the bad scenarios. Overspend worth say 4 pts - 1 back for cooperation but then a further 3 for not selling in January like Adams at Birmingham 4 seasons ago.

Worth remembering too that the way the Reading one broke down was 6 and then a suspended 6 so a worst case Reading type scenario would be 3 and then 3 suspended for x period of time subject to adherence to a business plan- something that we'd easily stick to if it came to it. There are two big * against my worst case scenario.

Otoh the suspended deduction if there was one would neither mitigate or substitute a punishment for a further overspend or breach in the period.

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interested in this, we'll be within limits by March or end of May 2023 at the latest?

Before we get carried away with the self congratulation, may I remind everyone that last year we only took 3 points out 36 against the clubs who finished in the top 6, and have yet to play a team who are likely to finish in this year’s top 6.  

We will have a much better idea of the merits of this squad in a few weeks, when we play Norwich and Burnley away.

1 hour ago, Malago said:

Before we get carried away with the self congratulation, may I remind everyone that last year we only took 3 points out 36 against the clubs who finished in the top 6, and have yet to play a team who are likely to finish in this year’s top 6.  

We will have a much better idea of the merits of this squad in a few weeks, when we play Norwich and Burnley away.

But there again… may I remind you that last year we scored the most goals outside of the top 6.. this year we seem even more potent with TC adding even more fire power. You got to admit, it is exciting to watch at the moment.

defendively we were crap and amongst the worst performers last year.. this season while acknowledging that we still have a lot to work on, we are miles ahead of where we were.. Norwich and Burnley will be taking us very seriously this year.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

An excellent and often overlooked point (Across all clubs) IMHO

Pearson has said since he came he wanted a smaller squad 

It comes with some risk , but has definite benefits

For any manager it’s about getting the right numerical balance in their squad. A large squad can cause problems in terms of players getting frustrated if they’re not getting games and any unhappy players is obviously not good for morale.

For me whilst the current squad is looking solid it’s a little too thin and if injuries/suspensions begin to build up then Nige’s options become limited - a point that he’s mentioned more than once.

City could certainly use another CB and midfielder to add more depth and now that the window has closed only OOC players will be available.

Transfer deadline day tends to skew people's perception of how their club had traded during the window as a whole, so it's worth reminding ourselves that we have continued the evolution of this squad overall.

Firstly we have removed a couple of seat blockers from coach one so to speak. Bakinson and Palmer have gone all together and Idehen has been relegated to another coach for now. (hopefully to return as a new man), and everyone's whipping boy of the last couple of seasons O'Dowda has also walked the plank.

We added competition in a key areas and a potential leader at the back. Naismith, Wilson and Sykes, and we have added what looks to be quality competition on paper in goal with Bajic. Of those Sykes was probably the one that arrived with the least fanfare, but has been the nicest surprise.

Retaining the services of our "stars" is the icing on the cake.

Perhaps the most important part of these dealings is getting them done early. We have a squad that is all pulling together and are finding their football fun and enjoyable and have spent months together already, some of the teams in this league will have to be introduced to each other on Saturday.

This is also a better environment to add in more of emerging youth talent too, and we have even more optimism on that front.

Off the pitch, Nigel seems to have created a coaching set up that suits him especially with the addition of Jason Euell.

I have faith, (because I have seen it happen before) that the togetherness of this group is worth more than some individuals borrowed from all and sundry, each with their own agenda. I also believe that the fans can see this, and that the backing from the terraces seems to have gone up a notch too.

All in all, I am very happy with this quiet revolution.

• Like 11
  • Flames 3

8 hours ago, cityexile said:

Agree with all of that.

To add, it’s tough to keep a player if they feel they want to move. All the mood music is that our young stars are happy to stay for now. That might change in time, but is also credit to NP and his team.

I don’t doubt NP looks at it all and would love to be able to strengthen in a couple of areas, but also don’t feel he has lost much sleep today. He just gets on with the hand he had been dealt.

This is the biggest thing for me, it's not that we kept hold of everyone as such it's that we don't seem to have the disruption of players wanting out at the whiff of a big move. Rumoured interest in Antoine doesn't appear to have turned his head and I'm sure we've already heard Scott say he's happy to stay here and get regular football?

Whatever we're doing in the academy, we're doing it right. These kids have good heads and advice around them it seems. Now extend your contracts, have a good season and secure us a big deal next summer if that's what you wish to do.

I can't believe how much more enjoyable we are to watch. I'll take the frustrations of a last minute equaliser for the fact that 85 minutes on Saturday were the most fun I've had watching City in years.

• Like 6