IGNORED

How would you react if City wore Bradford City's colours, or navy shorts and socks?

Curr Avon

This season saw City return to their 1954/55 Division 3 South Championship winning strip, aka, the one that looks like Arsenal.

Boring history buffs like me, without a life love these shout outs to kits past, because it freshens up the usual mundane block colours of red and white.

But why stop there? City forerunners Bedminster wore 'Bradford City' colours, below.

image.thumb.png.aef6d57361752d10cd0b57bd69d884f9.png

How would that look as an away strip for one season?

And the home kit featured different coloured shorts and socks in our infancy.

How about the Bristol South End strip from 1894/95? Similar to Spain and Chile.

image.png.a08e188a6143bef16de6fc2cc14cd9d8.png

Or maybe the 1906/07 strip with black socks, that accompanied our second placed finish in the old First Division. Or this that a bit too Man United for you? We beat them to the Second Division title the previous year - and won 14 consecutive League matches. Still a Football League record.

image.png.5a3664ddbe38f39895b4e8f182f68694.png

You can view all City home kits on the Historical Kits website; Bristol City - Historical Football Kits (historicalkits.co.uk)

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Personally, I would just like our red to be more red - ie scarlet rather than crimson, if I’ve got my names right.

I was only suggesting the crimson and gold (bantam colours) for an away strip. Honest.

Imagine proposing a non-red home strip. This forum would be in meltdown. Probably.

Edited by Curr Avon

6 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

We wore 'Edwardian Blue' shirts, white shorts and black socks for the 1909 Cup Final, so, why not?

Because it’s 113 years later and ‘They’ wear blue 

Can you imagine them having a red away kit ?

Even they arn’t that stupid 

* Others May disagree but a massive no for me

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

But why stop there? City forerunners Bedminster wore 'Bradford City' colours, below.

I like the 1892-1898 kit. As a third kit that would be gorgeous imo. 

If we had the traditional red home kit, a white/black away, and then that as the occasional third kit I think that would be pretty good and acceptable to most.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I have always thought that we should use the Beminster claret and yellow sometimes as a change kit.

Main problem is that claret is considered as a colour clash to red.

Yet I've seen Sheff U wearing their red and white stripe shirts against Villa's claret without any problems for players or fans.

If Bournemouth are allowed a black third kit, then surely we're allowed a different shade of 'red' on ours.

I've got strong opinions on kit colours and design, but a red home kit, white away, and yellow/claret third is fine. We'd be able to competently counter any kit I can think of with that.

7 hours ago, beaverface said:

I'll say it again, but it never seems to gain any traction...

Why don't we use the year 1887 as the beginning of our timeline?

It is because the Bristol South End (formed 1894) lineage is deemed to be the primary line. When the merger happened in 1900 it was Southville/Bedminster merging into Bristol City (as South End had been renamed in 1897) even though we've ended up playing at Bedminster's ground. 

That's why the Club go for 1894 rather than 1897 or 1887. 

I would agree with you that it would be nice to acknowledge the 1887 Southville/Bedminster lineage a little more, but I can also see the argument that to do so could muddy the waters a little. 

The Club have struggled enough already with the 1894/1897 debate.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

There`s an argument for wearing a blue away kit as it shows how irrelevant they are to us.

Not for me though.

They are irrelevant to others compared to us but as supporters they aren't irrelevant and we wear/buy the shirt - this point in time (6 o'clock on a Saturday morning) a post about them is top of our forum with over 2.8k pages, second is this one where we are discussing playing in blue with the biggest concern being that they play in blue. They aren't irrelevant to us as supporters and never will be - even if they drop out the league again they are still our inner city rivals and there is something special about that.

Edited by Pezo

13 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

I was only suggesting the crimson and gold (bantam colours) for an away strip. Honest.

Imagine proposing a non-red home strip. This forum would be in meltdown. Probably.

The current shirt is already horrific enough, just don't ???, I'm mentally preparing for our inevitable promotion year to then be stuck with it forever.

14 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

This season saw City return to their 1954/55 Division 3 South Championship winning strip, aka, the one that looks like Arsenal.

Boring history buffs like me, without a life love these shout outs to kits past, because it freshens up the usual mundane block colours of red and white.

And the home kit featured different coloured shorts and socks in our infancy.

How about the Bristol South End strip from 1894/95? Similar to Spain and Chile.

image.png.a08e188a6143bef16de6fc2cc14cd9d8.png

Or maybe the 1906/07 strip with black socks, that accompanied our second placed finish in the old First Division. Or this that a bit too Man United for you? We beat them to the Second Division title the previous year - and won 14 consecutive League matches. Still a Football League record.

image.png.5a3664ddbe38f39895b4e8f182f68694.png

You can view all City home kits on the Historical Kits website; Bristol City - Historical Football Kits (historicalkits.co.uk)

Honestly I’d love it, anything different from the norm (with some sort of historical reference) is good with me.

I love this years home shirt

• Like 2

I feel the home kit should just be full red (shirt and socks) and white (shorts). It's about having a clear and consistent identity IMO. I'm not a fan of this seasons "arsenal-style" home kit. It just doesn't feel quite 'Bristol City' enough for me.

Away kits and goalkeeper kits are the place for creativity, so I'd be very open to the club doing an away or third kit in the style of those Bedminster kits. IMO the away/goalkeeper kits are better when we try to do something a bit different - nothing worse than a white & red away kit which is just the home kit with the colours reversed.

If you want a controversial kit opinion, try this one for size:

I'd actually be open minded about us having purple as our primary club colour, rather than red.

There's an argument to say that we're better known for our purple kits than our red ones. Ask a fan to name an EFL club who are known for playing in red - I doubt Bristol City would be their first answer. Ask them to name one who plays in purple, and I imagine we'd be the most common answer (is there even another club in England who regularly wear purple?)

Very few clubs in the world wear purple on their home kit. Fiorentina? Real Madrid sometime have a bit of purple? Real Valladolid?

If we want a clear and distinctive identity, then it's actually not the worst idea.

Of course, it would take a bit of getting used to, and I'm sure there would be a few who consider it to be a little bit too close to blue!

• Like 1