IGNORED

Reading v Stoke

RoystonFoote'snephew

Joao is such a good player, not got the greatest of availability records but his goals to games ratio is excellent.

If they can keep him fit often enough he’ll be a big factor in Reading defying the predictions (including mine) that they’ll go down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Joao is such a good player, not got the greatest of availability records but his goals to games ratio is excellent.

If they can keep him fit often enough he’ll be a big factor in Reading defying the predictions (including mine) that they’ll go down.

Agree, would have been ideal, and a good fit  for us

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He's a good player but he still didn't score. I need to see a better angle but I'm not sure his effort was going in before Flint sliced it into his own net. 

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He is a handful, always has been whenever we've faced him. Reading actually have good forward options in Meite, Joao, Long and Ince. 

Still take our forwards though. A mix of young and hungry and experience

Don't see Reading going down, they have enough depth IMO. Some useful loanees too in midfield. Dunno if they face further FFP sanctions this year however- a points deduction derailed them badly last Autumn.

Loans from Chelsea, Newcastle, Nottingham Forest and Porto albeit of varying calibre, experience and profile, plus retention of players such as Yiadom, Ejaria and Joao quite good for a club in their position all told.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Songs , crowd , ground, kit . Everything about Reading irritates me. 

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Songs , crowd , ground, kit . Everything about Reading irritates me. 

Bang on, I hate going there, absolutely nothing going for it other than the fact it’s only an hour up the motorway 

• Like 2

What's more, despite having a similar points trajectory to us across last and this season, a quick search suggests that this is Reading's 6th penalty in the League from Matchday 1 2021-22 to present...which is 6 x more than us.

Some of their underlying numbers maybe a bit better than us in the timeframe but not to that level.

Bet they've been awarded against less than us too.

Indeed they have. 5 up to and including today, 10 for us.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

BBC text commentary said Joao but will defer to you on it.

Two different tackles - Joao taken out for the penalty and the one where the Ref should have shown a Yellow was a few mins later. 

Ona different note - the way City are playing at the moment we look streets ahead of both of these teams!  Long may it continue!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm expecting Reading to fade back to mid-table. -2 goal difference (-0.25 per game) is a hell of an anomaly for a team in second place. They're getting narrow wins and hammered in their losses. In general that's not a recipe for a sustainable promotion charge. 

Reading are definitely in a false position and just long-ball merchants, we”ll play them off the park when we go there in October 

• Robin 1

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm expecting Reading to fade back to mid-table. -2 goal difference (-0.25 per game) is a hell of an anomaly for a team in second place. They're getting narrow wins and hammered in their losses. In general that's not a recipe for a sustainable promotion charge. 

Only ten teams in the Championship with a positive goal difference atm - including us … equal third best with Norwich. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We're only 6 points better off than Cardiff, who are 21st. 

Think we all need to calm down a touch, still very early days! 

Absolutely. Especially with Norwich and Burnley coming up. Get points from those two and bogey team Preston and then we can start getting excited. A long, long way to go. Fabulous so far though!

50 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We're only 6 points better off than Cardiff, who are 21st. 

Think we all need to calm down a touch, still very early days! 

I think a lot are enjoying performances and the ‘signs‘ , as much as the results 

I’m none too sure we have the depth to remain consistent but just really enjoying it and the feel of the Club again

I hope if and when we hit a few bumps everyone stays level and enjoys the ride 

If looking for trajectory / health  indicators the individual performance &  form of players is always a good one for me

I accept positive results is likely to mean positive individual performances , but the performances and a team ethic have to come before you can string results together .

Looking at the players in the current squads , a fair number of them are performing the best they have done so in a City shirt 

Some of the additions , Atkinson , Sykes, Naismith certainly (I’d add James and even King particularly away from match time) appear to have added and enhanced us, (Tanner , Wilson we await and see) and certainly as a group

Add to the emergence and game time and significant impact of Conway and Scott and there are , for me , some positive signs there 

Is there anyone who’s gone ‘backwards’ ?