IGNORED

6th Sept. 1992 : Derby County 3 Bristol City 4

headhunter

Who remembers this game on a Sunday afternoon 30 years ago: 

4th game of season and City remained unbeaten. Lost the next 3.

Paul Simpson, yes once of our recent coaching team, scored a hat trick

Manager : Denis Smith

Team: Welch, Mitchell [not very good], Scott [good player], Thompson [same as Mitchell], Bryant [goodish local lad], Osman, Mellon, Harrison [not very good, Gerry?], Jackie, Shelton [one of my midfield favs after Gow], Bent. Allison came off the bench

• Like 2

Went to the game.

Great memories of a great day out.

Martin Scott was a great player and up there with best full backs we have had. 

Also Junior Bent one of my favourite City players. 

Remember Jackie playing and everyone doing the ‘Jackanoski’  

We were all packed in at the side of pitch.

Allison got the winner if I recall.

I taped it and watched about 3 times on the trot when I got home.

Also coming out to all the Derby fans wishing us all the best for the season with everything they could pick up and throw at us.

The Good old ‘Away’ days…

• Like 2

Yep, was there.

I saw Steve Sutton outside before the game. I'd like to think (in a sliding doors moment) his avoidance of me led to him getting sent off. Them down to 10 with their goalie sent off, and we only just managed to win.

I watched the whole game back when I got home.

Happy days.

24 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Went to the game.

Great memories of a great day out.

Martin Scott was a great player and up there with best full backs we have had. 

Also Junior Bent one of my favourite City players. 

Remember Jackie playing and everyone doing the ‘Jackanoski’  

We were all packed in at the side of pitch.

Allison got the winner if I recall.

I taped it and watched about 3 times on the trot when I got home.

Also coming out to all the Derby fans wishing us all the best for the season with everything they could pick up and throw at us.

The Good old ‘Away’ days…

I was there also. My first ever away game going on CATS as a 16 year old.  Still remember their fans getting so so so wound up - as we left the game , like you say , they started throwing stones / coins etc and the police ignored it despite knowing it was happening . I remember a young girl being hit with something . . My first ever experience of that .. probably one of the worse also .. I’ve hated derby ever since that game .. 

32 minutes ago, Brann-red said:

I was there also. My first ever away game going on CATS as a 16 year old.  Still remember their fans getting so so so wound up - as we left the game , like you say , they started throwing stones / coins etc and the police ignored it despite knowing it was happening . I remember a young girl being hit with something . . My first ever experience of that .. probably one of the worse also .. I’ve hated derby ever since that game .. 

I haven't been to Pride Park but my memories of The Baseball Ground are like yours.

I remember the incident. Were there half bricks involved? It was a bit like trying to avoid missiles in a video game, only with greater consequences.

39 minutes ago, Brann-red said:

I was there with my late Dad and remember a girl getting hit with a stone on the way out.Blood every where .Not nice

Went round a mates house to watch this. Was it West Match Plus all something like that which showed it.

Simpson was unplayable and we thought we were in for a right battering until the sending off.

The thing I remember about that day more than the game, was my mate managing to eat a whole box of chocolate mini rolls :laugh:

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

I see Derby had Auto Windscreens  as shirt sponsor We had them a few years later 95/96 i think

When City and Derby played each other that year It was the first ever time a match was played where both teams had the same shirt sponsor 

That might be total BS but I'm sure i heard it somewhere 

Think Rangers v Celtic in the 80s may of been

DC620815-DC45-4336-934A-CB2A09A5CAA2.jpeg

Edited by alexukhc

Amazing game but apologies for the abiding memory being that at Derby station.

After we'd won there were a couple of Derby thugs on the stairs of the platform bridge at the station tooled up and looking for young City lads to slash. I clocked them straight away, you don't grow up in BS13 without knowing how to look after yourself. But as now a professional grown up I first thought to engage the services of the BTP, only to be told there were none on duty Sundays and to report back Monday. A couple of us fronted up and put the gutless thugs in their place, seeing them scurrying for cover. Hopefully saved others facial scars for life but first time I'd witnessed Stanleys pulled in anger at a match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

Who remembers this game on a Sunday afternoon 30 years ago: 

4th game of season and City remained unbeaten. Lost the next 3.

Paul Simpson, yes once of our recent coaching team, scored a hat trick

Manager : Denis Smith

Team: Welch, Mitchell [not very good], Scott [good player], Thompson [same as Mitchell], Bryant [goodish local lad], Osman, Mellon, Harrison [not very good, Gerry?], Jackie, Shelton [one of my midfield favs after Gow], Bent. Allison came off the bench

I was there and when I got home (Shrewsbury) I watched the recording of it. 

Went to that game.with a quite a few others on a certain coach from Bemmi. It was well known that Derby had an active mob.

All a bit sketchy as long time ago. Bit like the Alamo at the beginning of the match. But City won. Great game to watch.

Bricks and Co post match were raining down but the lot I was with were having none of it and quite frankly apart from one big Derby c*#nt, there “firm” were dismantled by some of Bristol’s finest. The old Baseball ground was always a lively away game. City had a big reputation back in the 80s and early 90s, so away games were always lively.
Quite frankly nothing to be proud of, but “if you fly with the crows, you get shot with the crows”.
Great memories, but you would never get away with it nowadays.

End off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It was the first time City been shown live on TV as well. That’s a good pub quiz question.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If the pub was in Grimsby it would be a pointless one……

And also an incorrect one, as we were shown live on ITV in 1989 for the 2nd Leg of the Nottingham Forest semi final.

So, in summary:

- Not a good pub quiz question as niche audience

- Not even a correct pub quiz question 

- Robbored once more displaying a depth of knowledge Liz Truss would be ashamed at

Other than that, spot on.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Wild Bunch said:

I was there!  Derby all over us before Sutton got sent off.  What a turnaround. Got hit on the back of the leg after the game by some flying debris from the skip!

little ***** were throwing all kinds of crap over that wall near the exit, Allisons goal was sweet

• Like 1