IGNORED

6th Sept. 1992 : Derby County 3 Bristol City 4

headhunter

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

And also an incorrect one, as we were shown live on ITV in 1989 for the 2nd Leg of the Nottingham Forest semi final.

So, in summary:

- Not a good pub quiz question as niche audience

- Not even a correct pub quiz question 

- Robbored once more displaying a depth of knowledge Liz Truss would be ashamed at

Other than that, spot on.

Citys first llive league game……….. Silvio…………….:disapointed2se:

No Shem coach/Aztec mini coach that day?

Fairly sure we all watched it (briz boys) down the Seymours club in St Philips and plenty of drinks got spilt when the winner went in- what a game .

I think we went the previous season when we lost 4-1 and had great night in Cheltenham via Ashby de la Zouch- great days on the fun bus ??

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Wild Bunch said:

I was there!  Derby all over us before Sutton got sent off.  What a turnaround. Got hit on the back of the leg after the game by some flying debris from the skip!

I wrote at the time; 

There was no match that Saturday as the game at Derby was televised live and therefore played on a Sunday.  City changed tactics for this game to 5-3-2. After twelve minutes Paul Simpson scored twice in a minute for Derby and later on had a certain third saved by Welch. That was to be the turning point of the game. Twenty minutes later Shelton was about to score when the keeper floored him with a rugby tackle for which he was sent off. Cole, Rosenior and Aizlewood were all out with injuries so Martin Scott took the resultant penalty kick. He would be City’s penalty taker until he left following that kick. Tempers then flared and three City players were booked before half time. On the hour, Dziekanowski crossed from the left, Derby’s stand in keeper palmed the ball on and Allison put over the line only to be ruled offside. City kept plugging away and shortly afterwards, Junior Bent making his first appearance of the season, latched onto a loose ball in the Derby area and smashed an equaliser high into the net. Derby then took off Marco Gabbiadini who had scored so many goals against City in the last two years and brought on a defender. Within seconds of coming on, he leapt high in the air and headed past his keeper to give City the lead. Straight from kick off Derby broke away and Paul Simpson scored a third for both himself and his side. Despite this setback City attacked again and in the final minutes, Dziekanowski again centred from the left and this time Allison was definitely on side as he headed backwards over a defender into the top corner of the net to give City a 4-3 win.

Remember it well, live on HTV. Derby were big spenders and promotion favourites. Felt like an amazing result at the time, but we soon slipped into a relegation battle.

Does anyone remember a similar game at Colchester? Think we were being similarly battered, then a sending off changed the game and we won 4-3 from 2-0 and 3-1 losing positions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Does anyone remember a similar game at Colchester? Think we were being similarly battered, then a sending off changed the game and we won 4-3 from 2-0 and 3-1 losing positions.

End of the 99-00 season; another similarity with the Derby game.

The penultimate game was at Colchester who took a 2-0 lead. Scott Murray then took a hand and scored. Early in the second half Colchester scored a third, but with Andrew Jordan and Joe Burnell refusing to give up, Murray turned the game with a succession of crosses into the Colchester box. One was converted by Alex Meechan and another was headed into his net by a defender. Micky Bell then scored a fourth to secure a victory.

40 minutes ago, 22A said:

End of the 99-00 season; another similarity with the Derby game.

The penultimate game was at Colchester who took a 2-0 lead. Scott Murray then took a hand and scored. Early in the second half Colchester scored a third, but with Andrew Jordan and Joe Burnell refusing to give up, Murray turned the game with a succession of crosses into the Colchester box. One was converted by Alex Meechan and another was headed into his net by a defender. Micky Bell then scored a fourth to secure a victory.

Forgotten about this game.

At the end of this video , about 1:28:00 in

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 2

I was there. At that moment in my life I lived in the East Midlands and actually went to more away matches than home. 
It was certainly a memorable match. I didn’t have any trouble other than the usual posturing and Willy waving ( which I should really stop doing) .

I remember the pitch at the Baseball Ground was more suited to growing potatoes than hosting a professional football match.

46 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I was there. At that moment in my life I lived in the East Midlands and actually went to more away matches than home. 
It was certainly a memorable match. I didn’t have any trouble other than the usual posturing and Willy waving ( which I should really stop doing) .

I remember the pitch at the Baseball Ground was more suited to growing potatoes than hosting a professional football match.

As we came out, I remember there were fences separating the supporters, some **** threw a brick/rock/stone and hit a girl in front of us. Bit of blood but it was quietened down quickly and she looked like she was being taken care of. Always thought throwing stuff into crowds was cowardly. We were on a Pirate coach, from memory it was quiet apart from that.

Didn't go to that game but followed City to the Baseball Ground 3x in the Div.1 days.

The first 2 times in that side section where we were close to the Derby fans behind the goal to our right. Abuse was exchanged at fairly close quarters all game, and not surprisingly in those days - as the exits for the 2 sets of fans were only yards apart - full on fighting immediately on exiting the ground.

One of the games police horses charged in to separate the fighting fans outside and we could see 1 City fan, who was stranded on the wrong side of the horses getting a terrible beating from the Derby mob.

The 3rd game I took my new girlfriend (now my wife) so we got seats high up in the stand opposite the City section. We could see a stream of Derby fans being led out of the City area along the side of the pitch just before ko, after 'making themselves known', and no doubt more trouble outside afterwards, but we missed that as being in the stand we exited well away from any flashpoint.

That 3rd game was a 3-3 draw towards the end of our relegation season (and theirs!), a great game as I remember and pretty sure Tom Ritchie scored a couple of goals.

Memorable also for going in to a chip shop near the ground before the game and encountering mushy peas for the first time!