IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

31 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

How are people ‘forced’ to go to football matches ?

If you turn on any media , you will feel guilty , that you are not dressed all in black with head bowed

Personally , I don’t want that for a prolonged period , I really don’t think it’s healthy

It's a form of emotional fascism and seems to be something that has grown out of the Diana period. I do wonder how many of the "mourners" today are the same ones who were demanding the Queen to be as upset as they were about Diana when she clearly had no real feelings about her, the ones who were questioning the future of the monarchy as whole if she didn't come out of her Ivory tower to join them.

Terms like the "majority" being used without evidence for it, to make the rest feel like they don't belong, are all part of the insidious process. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

As this thread shows, the ‘backlash’ would be much greater if they cancel the games. And the government and royal family evidently couldn’t give a toss. So we’re relying on the EFL’s famous backbone. Already made up their minds.

Why is taking them so long? 

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground

Losing anyone , particularly a loved one , is incredibly sad , whether you are a Royal or not *

She reached a fine age, and enjoyed relatively good health 

We should absolutely respect , mourn to whatever personal degree we wish,

But most of all we should , as a collective , as a nation , celebrate* her life 

* Her family , children particularly will totally understandably actually be those the saddest who want to grieve and finding it difficult to celebrate her life at this moment - They are the ones I feel for 

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

It's a form of emotional fascism and seems to be something that has grown out of the Diana period. I do wonder how many of the "mourners" today are the same ones who were demanding the Queen to be as upset as they were about Diana when she clearly had no real feelings about her, the ones who were questioning the future of the monarchy as whole if she didn't come out of her Ivory tower to join them.

Terms like the "majority" being used without evidence for it, to make the rest feel like they don't belong, are all part of the insidious process. 

So much this.

I don't doubt some are genuinely upset, but there's also a tide of performative, mawkish grief.

• Like 5

• Admin
2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Quite a lot of backlash on Twitter growing about potential cancellation of leisure activities, including football. 

The fact they’re taking until today to make a decision gives me hope that sanity prevails.

Notice how we’re all still expected to work today?

Further to my post about being in London next week, I've heard that all shows are still carrying on as scheduled

Interesting that the DCMS who made the call are the same who said to the EFL they could make their own decision

I totally understand the premise behind not having events on the day of the funeral itself but I don’t think the weekend fixtures should be cancelled. To me it feels more relevant to continue and belt out the anthem in the stands being in the moment now and show respect that way , rather than pop to the supermarket instead. If everything gets cancelled up to and including the funeral then I expect when sport resumes we will end up with all the minutes silence , tributes etc that sports were not able to do until after the event. It would feel bit out of place then when any official sense of national mourning is over with. 

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Further to my post about being in London next week, I've heard that all shows are still carrying on as scheduled

Interesting that the DCMS who made the call are the same who said to the EFL they could make their own decision

As part of the protocol shows aren't cancelled however lights are dimmed a 2 minute silence is held and the national anthem is played

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Losing anyone , particularly a loved one , is incredibly sad , whether you are a Royal or not *

She reached a fine age, and enjoyed relatively good health 

We should absolutely respect , mourn to whatever personal degree we wish,

But most of all we should , as a collective , as a nation , celebrate* her life 

* Her family , children particularly will totally understandably actually be those the saddest who want to grieve and finding it difficult to celebrate her life at this moment - They are the ones I feel for 

Exactly a mourning scenario bringing the whole country to a stand would be for example a shocking incident with an unexpected great loss of life …Terror war something truly hard to comprehend 

This should be celebration of a long life and reign nothing shocking or sad we are all going to die and she had a hell of longer run than 99% of us will get, there’s no shock or sadness on my part

Its a change and a big one to the culture but far from sad or shocking 

Edited by Logical-City

3 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Government wanting no part of the ‘backlash’ either way? 

I'm not sure the government can do anything, they are in a no win situation.

If they say football shouldn't go ahead, people will (rightly) say that nobody should be working.

If they say it should go ahead, they'll be accused of interference and/or not showing respect.

They are far better off shutting up and letting the footballing authorities make their own decisions.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

If this sounds a bit over the top to those too young to remember, or those with a selective memory. This is a selection of the headlines from that period, the period when the Queen was portrayed as anything but the kind old granny we are mourning today. 

Screenshot_20220909-102721.jpg

Edited by Port Said Red

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

If this sounds a bit over the top to those too young to remember, or those with a selective memory. This is a selection of the headlines from that period, the period when the Queen as anything but the kind old granny we are mourning today. 

Ah yes, one of the most hypocritical times in our national medias history.  The very papers that hounded Diana to her death then expected everyone to swallow their crocodile tears. 

Edited by Barrs Court Red

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

If this sounds a bit over the top to those too young to remember, or those with a selective memory. This is a selection of the headlines from that period, the period when the Queen as anything but the kind old granny we are mourning today. 

Wrong thread

Just now, BS3City said:

Time is getting on, lot's of people and organisations have made plans for the weekend. 

A decision needs to be announced either way ASAP!!!

I expect we will hear lunch time,

But look at it this way, the longer there is no announcement the more likely it will go ahead

• Admin
37 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I'd be very surprised if the decision was left to individual clubs.

I know where you are coming from, but I would assume this could mean that those that can host their game will do so

Policing etc around London grounds will be almost impossible with how many must be required to be around Westminster / Buckingham Palace over the next few days

7 minutes ago, Logical-City said:

I understand Prince William is a big football fan as I imagine his kids will be also so hopefully he can have a word 

He was indeed sat not too far away from me at Villa Park last week