IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

40 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Some of the reactions on here from posters I’ve previously always respected is frankly shocking and really saddens me.

Absolutely typifies the sense of entitlement these days.  We have just lost the country’s figurehead who has gained worldeide respect and given over 70 years of dedicated service to her country and citizens and all they can bleat about is having a game of football delayed.

Heaven help us if we ever had to face a war again, because we’d be ****** with this bunch of whingers!!!

It’s not about entitlement, that implies it’s because it’s for our own self-gain….it’s more about thinking about others than myself - from fans, business out of pocket to those who use the match as some form of well-being.  The choice to honour the Queen has been decided for us.  UKParkRun have just announced they will be continuing because they see how being around others can be of benefit to people. Well done them imho, but I expect they’ll get a barrage of abuse from those who think it’s “dissing our queen”, etc.

Yes, matches get postponed for weather, and businesses suffer as a result, even if it’s just short term Cashflow (that underplays how important Cashflow is to a small business, any business).  The decision made no reference to that side of the decision.

The parallel with war is crass in a way.  Heaven help us if we do face a war again, the likely impact of that is likely to be more (and more widely felt)  than the death of one person, our queen.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

This strikes me as strange. What does moving the rugby by 22 hours achieve, other than the fact Ashton Gate will now be empty as the football has been postponed.

I think if anything it lays bare the folly of not playing the football. Just as a proportion of football fans will be impacted by the Queens death, so will a proportion of Rugby fans.

So if it’s respectful not to play football, it’s by definition disrespectful to play the rugby match.

Or am I wrong?

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Rather than calling it mourning, I’d call it a mark of respect.  

Is missing 22 people kicking a bag of wind around a football field that big a deal really??

For me, yes.  It’s my escape, it’s my father / son time.  Yes, I can do something else, but I don’t think we all had to be held to the same decision.

in response…Is the queen passing away at 96 that big a deal really?

For me, nope.

For others, yes.  I respect your thoughts on this, but you don’t seem to think that others can react and fee, very differently.

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

So tell the sporting organisations then, as the choice is theirs!

As for ‘stopping everything’, what would that achieve?  We’re talking about entertainment/sport, not the normal functioning of the country.

Has entertainment been closed down then?  I hadn’t seen that…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think if anything it lays bare the folly of not playing the football. Just as a proportion of football fans will be impacted by the Queens death, so will a proportion of Rugby fans.

So if it’s respectful not to play football, it’s by definition disrespectful to play the rugby match.

Or am I wrong?

The only conclusion i can draw here is that football thinks it will get bad press if it goes ahead, whereas rugby doesn’t. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

So tell the sporting organisations then, as the choice is theirs!

As for ‘stopping everything’, what would that achieve?  We’re talking about entertainment/sport, not the normal functioning of the country.

Parliament have 12 days off now, are they not imperative to the functioning of this country ?

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me, yes.  It’s my escape, it’s my father / son time.  Yes, I can do something else, but I don’t think we all had to be held to the same decision.

For me, nope.

For others, yes.  I respect your thoughts on this, but you don’t seem to think that others can react and fee, very differently.

I'm curious to know your solution then. If half the people wanted it to go ahead and half the people didn't, what's the answer? In my view, it comes down to what the organisers want to do, and they've made their decision

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me, nope.

Agree with a lot of what you say Dave but the flip side of it is that it is a massive deal for a lot of the country, just because Joe Bloggs in the street isn't extremely upset doesn't mean that he can speak for others. Respect goes both ways. 

At the end of the day the decision was always going to be made at the highest level and its filtered down from the Premier League via the FA.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

She had a migrane anyway

The will still get the cash flow, the games been postponed not cancelled ffs

You assume they will still be in business, not have something else booked when the match is rearranged.

Naive response, sorry Monkeh.

Businesses are going bust every day at the mo’, following covid.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I don’t disagree that this is a massive event in the country’s history. My milk in the fridge has seen two PMs and two monarchs!

I agree that rearranged games will result in revenue again for clubs, but the losses will be bigger. People won’t get refunds on trains, hotels etc, there will be food ordered needing to be binned and less will attend on midweek. I get that happens with a waterlogged pitch say, but that doesn’t hit hundreds of fixtures at once. I genuinely do not see the harm caused by games going ahead (particularly grassroots). Nobody was forcing people to attend and minutes silence, anthem and black armbands would have been appropriate. 

You either have to shut the country fullstop or carry on. That’s where the problem is, as opposed to entitlement 

Not quite true. I just changed  / swapped my tickets for tomorrow for Millwall home instead.

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I wonder if they are picking on football a bit here? Maybe having a concern some fans chant something in bad taste. That wouldn't happen in Rugby / horseracing would it? Seems odd to me that a huge game of Rugby is allowed prime time Saturday, while all football is postposed all weekend. 

There will be a few thousand people getting drunk out their heads down the waterfront, love island (or whatever) on TV, and Rugby on at Ashton Gate. It's just another day.

Why the football can't be played tomorrow I still don't really understand.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, !james said:

Yes pretty much my take on it @Phileas Foggif you really want to know my opinion without the emojis.

Boomer? I have heard woke, snowflake and virtue signalling mentioned on twitter but first boomer! 

I think the reactions on here have been fairly measured really. Aside from a bit of silliness earlier in the thread, people seems to be discussing and debating in a mature way. 

The issue I have personally is the symbolism of it - fine for the plebs to work, but for some reason football must stop. Just seems disproportionate and unfair. 

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Or am I wrong?

She was the patron of the FA, not the RFU