IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

3 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Ok, so have a word with whoever makes decisions for his team, as it isn’t compulsory to cancel everything

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Actually it is for grassroots. The FA issued edicts locally and the Hanham Minor League and Avon Youth League both cancelled accordingly.

Exactly this. Our coach doesn’t have a choice.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Potentially next weekend off and then into an international break I believe.  

A radio 2 concert in Leeds meant to be attending next weekend , now confirmed as cancelled. Personally can’t see us playing again until after the international break

15 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

So have I got this correct?

Football (including all grass roots and kids) and boxing are cancelled. Rugby, cricket and golf go ahead tomorrow. Horse racing resumes on Sunday and to cap it off the Bears are playing Bath at Ashton Gate early Saturday evening.

Currently there is no indication of when football will return.

Interesting….

So my boy can’t play football this weekend but he can watch other sports being played professionally.

Indefensibly ridiculous.

Also - it’s not like they haven’t had years to prepare for this. Why couldn’t a consistent, co-ordinated approach to sport in this scenario have been agreed in advance?

• Like 6

Football always feels it has to be seen to be doing the 'right' thing, regardless of whether it is the right thing or not, its why you've still got clubs continuing to take the knee while its become a mish mash of who is and isn't because some want to be seen to be doing the right thing.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So my boy can’t play football this weekend but he can watch other sports being played professionally.

Indefensibly ridiculous.

Also - it’s not like they haven’t had years to prepare for this. Why couldn’t a consistent, co-ordinated approach to sport in this scenario have been agreed in advance?

That would involve thinking ahead.........something that the members of the FL & FA are incapable of?  Unless they are trying to get a salary raise?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

That would involve thinking ahead.........something that the members of the FL & FA are incapable of?  Unless they are trying to get a salary raise?

Well, quite.

But I don’t even mean just within football. I mean across sport as a whole. I thought the whole point of “London Bridge” was that you had a plan that was ready to be executed the moment the Queen died. I would have expected that to include pre-agreed protocols for sport and other events.

Shambles as usual.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Well, quite.

But I don’t even mean just within football. I mean across sport as a whole. I thought the whole point of “London Bridge” was that you had a plan that was ready to be executed the moment the Queen died. I would have expected that to include pre-agreed protocols for sport and other events.

Shambles as usual.

I thought so last night, spot on..

Thought they'd have had a Plan A, B and if required C under wraps but ready to roll out, well in advance and would have liased with:

A) Government

B) Member clubs of course

C) Police and SAG

D) Other sporting bodies (if required).

E) DCMS

Nothing of the sort though.

27 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

I may be mistaken but the proclamation "the King/Queen is dead, long live the King/Queen" is partly about accepting, moving on and getting on with everyday life, albeit under a new Monarch.

When ordinary citizens (those awful "common people") are bereaved, the world does not stop or change to accommodate their loss of a loved one.

Grief is a very personal experience. Each person reacts and copes as best they can, in different ways to the loss of a loved-one. Usually supported and assisted by those closest to them as well as certain bereavement support agencies/charities. There is no right or wrong way.

During these times of personal bereavement, the local community, wider society and the world beyond, however, function and continue as normal, oblivious and unaffected by the loss that is so devasting, painful and all-consuming to a particular bereaved person or family. This can be confusing and hurtful to the bereaved person/family, but it can also, often times, be a relief to them as well as being healing and therapeutic.

In my opinion, the death of any Royal person, President, Prime Minister, dignitary or celebrity should be no different.

Life, work, pleasure and all other everyday activities should continue as normal.

Those that wish/need to grieve, pay their respects and contemplate can do so.

Those that don't, can just get on with living their lives and do/enjoy whatever they want.

Mourning is not mandatory . . . yet. We still, thankfully, have (limited) free will and choice.

Totally agree with you. Very well said.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

I can't help but feel that there'd be a lot less opposition to this if City were on a bad run of form and/or had an injury crisis.

I don't think this is just about city more the fact it seems a trifle over the top and a bit illogical to have cancelled some sports and not others.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, italian dave said:

To be honest, no, not really.

I’ve no strong feeling either way about the decision, although it hasn’t come as a great surprise. The possibility that there’d be a postponement was raised on here within minutes, literally, of the announcement of the Queen’s death. 

But it’s a postponed match. It happens. The weather, international call-ups, a pitch falling apart. Games get called off. When we were in the lower leagues it would happen several times a season!
What happened with football during covid was a real issue for peoples livelihoods and mental well being. But one game getting called off - that just feels like a bit of an over reaction, sorry. 

The decision doesn't really affect me either, I'll just go and play golf/spend time with the family. I've just tried to look at the cancellation from the point of view of others. 

I'm sorry but I disagree with you, and I think it will have a massive impact on thousands of people up and down the country. Like others have said, people will be told they're not needed to work, food will go to waste and the list goes on. Yes you're right the weather can cause cancellations but people usually have a good idea if the weather will be bad or not, whereas these cancellations were just thrown on clubs/businesses the day before the event, like it or lump it. 

• Like 2

My grassroots club is being charged for pitch hire this Sunday because government guidelines are that sport doesn’t need to be cancelled.  County FA are saying that they won’t reimburse us because the instruction to cancel all games was made centrally and they have no control over it.  With our youth setup that’s a lot of money.

Marvellous.

• Sad 1

I felt the matches should not have been called off but respect others can look at the same circumstances and come to an entirely different view. That’s fine.

One slight spin on this. I do feel some sense of loss and sadness, alongside having a great deal of respect for her service. Many at a time of national significance do like to gravitate towards others and crowds.

That used back in the day be churches. I am absolutely not equating football grounds to that, but I was in a odd way looking forward to sharing a couple of minutes reflection in a crowd of thousands, in recognition of her service. It would have meant something to me. To be part of a collective sharing that moment. Then getting on with it.

Sure it will I am sure still happen down the road, but it loses its immediacy.  It’s a shame.

Edited by cityexile
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, HappyClapper said:

So have I got this correct?

Football (including all grass roots and kids) and boxing are cancelled. Rugby, cricket and golf go ahead tomorrow. Horse racing resumes on Sunday and to cap it off the Bears are playing Bath at Ashton Gate early Saturday evening.

Currently there is no indication of when football will return.

Interesting….

At least we now know what the FU bit is all about in RFU !! 

46 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I'm glad they have cancelled football, I'm surprised they haven't cancelled all competitive sport. I know it doesn't usually apply to us but now is not the time to be celebrating anything IMHO.

Yep...hopefully the next thing to be cancelled will be the World Cup......and then Christmas?  Then we can all Mourn the rest of our live's away. ?

50 minutes ago, pillred said:

Care to elaborate as to the boomer reference as in my experience it's usually an insult from the millennial generation x type.

It's a ageist remark against old people basically pricks who disrespect the older generation 

Edited by Monkeh
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I can't help but feel like the FA have made the wrong decision here. 

The lack of consistency is questionable. 

So I can go to work today, and teach my PE lessons all day. However, if I were to coach a grassroots team that's now not allowed to go ahead?

This morning we paid tribute during an assembly with a montage of positive moments of the queen's reign. Then held a two minute silence. However, after that, I was expected to go back to doing my job. 

The football could quite easily have done the same, on a much bigger scale. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Christ this thread, it's pretty annoying but not the end of the world. Just do something else. 

Visit an elderly relative, spend time with your kids, put a bag up your nose ... the choices are endless. 

Cheers for the advice pal. Gonna go with the latter.

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Christ this thread, it's pretty annoying but not the end of the world. Just do something else. 

Visit an elderly relative, spend time with your kids, put a bag up your nose ... the choices are endless. 

Whatever your views, they should always be respectful. Well, given the subject matter. 

I'm off back to Utopia aboard my unicorn, tally ho!!!!!!

Edited by Curr Avon

11 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I can't help but feel like the FA have made the wrong decision here. 

The lack of consistency is questionable. 

So I can go to work today, and teach my PE lessons all day. However, if I were to coach a grassroots team that's now not allowed to go ahead?

This morning we paid tribute during an assembly with a montage of positive moments of the queen's reign. Then held a two minute silence. However, after that, I was expected to go back to doing my job. 

The football could quite easily have done the same, on a much bigger scale. 

Worried about bad press too probably as someone else in the thread said though, varied tabloids

Possible headline, "Does football think it is BIGGER than our MAJ- just WHO do those who run this overblown, bloated sport think they are!!"

This might be one example. Optics though rugby and to an extent cricket seems not to be so concerned.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous