IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

20 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Queen Elizabeth II: Macmillan cancer charity walks cancelled - BBC News

Not football obviously but this seems like a ridiculous decision to me.

Not sure if there’s a word for it, but a lot of it seems to be driven by the need to be seen “doing something”

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Not sure if there’s a word for it, but a lot of it seems to be driven by the need to be seen “doing something”

Now that is absolute madness. I am starting to get really fed up with things getting cancelled and this forced grieving,

my wife and I keep disagreeing over this. She thinks we should all be taking time to respect and think about what has happened.

Our kids have noted it and now on their iPads or watching Netflix, whereas they could have spent the day in Bristol with their nanny.

13 hours ago, Colombo Robin said:

One good thing to come out of this is it might make people take note of how ridiculous the whole set up is and hasten the demise of the monarchy. Such an outdated concept. There will inevitably always be rich and poor, but to this extent, where eveyone has to pause life because someone who none of us have ever met died, when people we know personally die all the time and in there own way are just as worthy of respect as the queen.  Think we should all be aiming for something more balanced for our kids to grow up in

There is no public clamour whatsoever for what you suggest.

Ironically, as they have lost the best of the best, it appears to me from the public mood that if anything the monarchy is only likely to be strengthened by the death of our beloved Queen.

Renewed and reinvigorated by her son who is looking increasingly like he's matured in to a chip off the old block.

God save the King.

• Like 5

if true it confirms what many of us suspected and IMO why it’s right for football fans to be up in arms. Regardless of how realistic you think those predictions are it shows the contempt held for football fans across this country. Many of us follow the team across the country and see this mistreatment of fans first hand.

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

if true it confirms what many of us suspected and IMO why it’s right for football fans to be up in arms. Regardless of how realistic you think those predictions are it shows the contempt held for football fans across this country. Many of us follow the team across the country and see this mistreatment of fans first hand.

Does this mean our football body doesn’t trust it’s fans?  Backlash incoming if so!

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

The thought processes of those in power are being laid bare, you have a PM who thinks "the workers" are a separate entity to the voters and here you have an example of a group that is formed from all levels of society being treated as separate non-conformist entity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

It is only those who run football who are showing themselves to have fallen out of touch and to have misjudged the public mood.

The public mood is not represented by a few contributors on a football forum .

Consider the global impact of the Queen's death .

• Like 1

Just now, Abraham Romanovich said:

The public mood is not represented by a few contributors on a football forum .

Consider the global impact of the Queen's death .

It might have one I suppose, but she wielded no power in reality, so I don't think it's as great as some imagine. I am struggling to understand what your point has to do with domestic football matches though.

I find it interesting that in many cases the same people will be attending tonights rugby match, an occasion at which they are trusted to behave properly.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

You haven't "read" the whole thread but have leaped to the conclusion that we are all being disrespectful and you are embarrassed to be associated with the rest of us.

I think if you had read the thread and had digested the points made, you will find very little disrespectful in it.

People making assumptions or picking out items that suit their own agenda, I think this is more typical of OTIB and more embarrassing.

No a lot of what I read was anti-monarchy and NOW is not the time for that sort of posting. The country is in mourning, and the reality is, if people don't have anything nice to say, they should say nothing at all! 

30 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

You are right but you can guarantee it would be disrespected at a few grounds by a fee idiots. Not saying that's a valid excuse to call off games for that reason

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Does this mean our football body doesn’t trust it’s fans?  Backlash incoming if so!

I guess Celtic, Catholic teams from Northern Ireland, and potentially Liverpool, were the worry for the various authorities.

The answer would have been to keep mandated behaviour to a minimum, eg: black armbands for all teams in Great Britain, but not NI unless they want to, individual clubs can decide whether they are going to hold a two-minute silence and/or play the National Anthem. I imagine the overwhelming majority would. 

4 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

I think you'll find the main justification for 'Monarchy' these past 3 centuries is it appears to deliver constitutional and political stability it, after all, meaning 'the rule of the many by the one for the purpose of good'. Look at the remaining 46 monarchies around the globe and they tend to be decent, peaceful and prosperous places to reside. When monarchies fall they're invariably replaced by President Republics or Confederations. A quick scan of the major Presidencies of late doesn't exactly promote the concept: Trump , Biden, Putin, Xi, Erdogan, Bolsanaro, Kim Jong-un, Salih, al-Assad, Maduro. Add in just about any African nation, ex-Soviet state and central American dictatorship, consider security, conflict, economic stability and personal liberty and monarchy wins out by a mile.

That's not to say the present form of the UK Royal Family should remain, rather their very function within the constitution should be preserved and for good reason, it provides an essential buffer to political extremism and stasis.

As I mentioned elsewhere, if folks bothered to review the Royals funding position rather than fixate on the Privy Purse, as anti-monarchists so love to do, they'll see The Exchequer receives far, far more in revenue from them than is paid back and that's before any 'benefit' to UKPLC's economy is considered.

As for Charles having 'leached out' fortunes from the Duchy of Cornwall (I assume you also include his other income streams,) its worth noting he's cost the taxpayer nothing, has paid all his own costs and voluntarily paid top rate income tax on all surplus (he didn't have to.) As per your suggestion he may subsidise his existence from 'The Duchy' he can't, its no longer his. He will, however, and as with ERII, more than pay his own way given all that he has inherited by way of income streams is paid to The Exchequer. But when I say 'he has inherited' I really should have said 'the function has inhetited,' for that's what it is.  A functional, not personal, existence. The accounts are public record. 

Presidents BTW, do not come cheap. Amazing how many have PERSONALLY become the richest people in the world.  Unlike monarchs that wealth doesn't transfer to the next in line, preserved ultimately for a nation's benefit. It sits in personal bank accounts around the globe. 

Great post.....thank you.

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Just watching the golf and they done a immaculate 2 minute silence and paid their respects. I think it’s a shame football across the British isles couldn’t do the same today. Would of been special and emotional IMO

Providing people followed protocol.

By reading this thread and the levels of anti monarchy, it's no wonder the FA did not trust the fans.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

So why was Non League and amateur football also cancelled? Makes no sense

6 minutes ago, robin for life said:

No a lot of what I read was anti-monarchy and NOW is not the time for that sort of posting. The country is in mourning, and the reality is, if people don't have anything nice to say, they should say nothing at all! 

Total rubbish, I could go through the whole thing and find the majority of posts are sympathetic. I have been reading the thread from the beginning, by your own admission you haven't, as far as I am concerned that puts you on a par with those want books or films banned even though they haven't read or seen them.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gl2 said:

News readers/reporters show their respect by wearing black, striking unions postpone strikes as a mark of respect and the powers that be postpone weekend football games as a mark of respect; no big deal imo there will be football games next week, its a moment in time.

Spend the time in reflection and be thankfull that you still have your mother/father/sister/brother/friends unlike some who have very few of the forementioned left.

Its a game of football f.f.s. do something else for a few hrs.

Yep a moment in time that should have been seized to allow many thousands of people the opportunity to express their respect at public events, instead of sitting in the pub?  Pointless exercise, that achieves nothing IMHO.   However thankyou so much for letting me know that i can spend my weekend reflecting..........I would never have thought of doing that. ?

5 minutes ago, robin for life said:

Providing people followed protocol.

By reading this thread and the levels of anti monarchy, it's no wonder the FA did not trust the fans.

Stood shoulder to shoulder with fellow city fans paying our respects with our club would of been a fitting tribute. I don’t agree with many things at football but i don’t disrespect other peoples views . I just keep my mouth shut. 

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I guess Celtic, Catholic teams from Northern Ireland, and potentially Liverpool, were the worry for the various authorities.

The answer would have been to keep mandated behaviour to a minimum, eg: black armbands for all teams in Great Britain, but not NI unless they want to, individual clubs can decide whether they are going to hold a two-minute silence and/or play the National Anthem. I imagine the overwhelming majority would. 

There was even a mixed reaction at Hearts which is interesting.