IGNORED

Advice for attending games over Christmas and NY

SydneyCity

Over Christmas and New Year, I’ll be back home for the first time in years. I haven’t been to a game since 2013 and want to go see WBA on Boxing Day at least. I also want to take my wife and 5 year old boy as well.

My wife is Brazilian and thinks the atmosphere at Ashton Gate (and football) isn’t going to be as exciting as at a Corinthians game. My five year old genuinely believes Bristol City is the best team in the world… but has the attention span of a five year old.

Has anyone got any advice for match day activities that would entertain both and, as I haven’t been to Ashton Gate since the redevelopment, where to sit.

Is the Silver Heineken Hospitality Package worth it?

18 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

Over Christmas and New Year, I’ll be back home for the first time in years. I haven’t been to a game since 2013 and want to go see WBA on Boxing Day at least. I also want to take my wife and 5 year old boy as well.

You're bringing a Brazilian who lives in Sydney to Bristol in the depths of winter? Are you mad? :whistle2:

• Haha 4

Avoid disappointment and leave your wife and kids at home.

Seriously, the Heineken lounge isn’t a bad day out and you still get to be close to the atmosphere without getting too close. They often have offers over holiday periods like Christmas and it’ll be an easy way of getting 3 seats together, not always easy nowadays. Not sure if it’s over 18s only though. 

Failing that I’d say upper Lansdown family area, though as close to the front as possible if you want to recognise the players. 

• Like 1

Definitely go in the upper Lansdown, blocks W7, W8 and W9. This is the family section so there will be something to keep the 5 year old amused before the match. I wouldn’t recommend the Heineken package as that’s designed for adults. Your boy would be bored sitting through the pre match meal. As you say, your boy has a short attention span, so that’s going to be difficult, particularly on a cold day. Be prepared for him to lose interest so take things to keep him amused, inc drinks and plenty of snacks. Before the match have a walk around the outside of the ground towards the South Stand end to see the fans village. There will be a lot of people milling about , which is good for a bit of atmosphere for your wife, though may be a bit noisy for the boy.  It’s likely to be a big crowd so make sure you book your tickets as soon as they go on general sale 

• Like 1

I can’t recommend the Upper Lansdown family area enough. I took my three year old daughter recently and she loved it. If you’d like to ease the family in, there’s plenty to do for kids at the Women’s matches too.

Here’s my daughter on the ball enjoying herself at the High Performance Centre before the Women beat Blackburn 2-0. It’s a really great setup. 

E62F837E-C61A-478A-B028-06B6905AF233.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes at age 5 keeping attention is the thing. My daughter went to her first match aged 5 in 2005. I recall she was v interested in trying chewing gum for the first time! Mind you it was a nil nil v Doncaster and there was no family entertainment in those days. On the bright side, she has been to her second, third and fourth matches in 2022 (aged 22) and they have all been wins. So she hasn’t seen a defeat yet and I’m regretting that my lucky charm did not go more often between 2005 and 2022! Plus she now supplies me with the chewing gum at matches! Hope you have a great time @SydneyCity

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

My wife is Brazilian and thinks the atmosphere at Ashton Gate (and football) isn’t going to be as exciting as at a Corinthians game. My five year old genuinely believes Bristol City is the best team in the world… but has the attention span of a five year old.

Has anyone got any advice for match day activities that would entertain both and, as I haven’t been to Ashton Gate since the redevelopment, where to sit.

Is the Silver Heineken Hospitality Package worth it?

Your wife and child are both right, to be fair

The matchday experience however is much better than it once was. The fanzone before the game for your wife and Upper Lansdown for your lad will be as good as it can be

• Like 1